The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 18, 2015, 07:01pm
Official Forum Member

Nfhs 8-3-d

Could someone tell me what this rule says. Having a debate about a caught ball being carried into deadball area and 5-1-1(i) and this 8-3-d area being referenced. I am being told the ball can be run back on to the field & live ball is resumed.
Old Wed Mar 18, 2015, 08:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck chopper View Post
Could someone tell me what this rule says. Having a debate about a caught ball being carried into deadball area and 5-1-1(i) and this 8-3-d area being referenced. I am being told the ball can be run back on to the field & live ball is resumed.
I think you mean 8-3-3d. Once a caught ball is carried into dead-ball territory, it is dead. One base for all runners.
Old Wed Mar 18, 2015, 09:41pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to rcaverly
Matt has it right. The only thing to add is there is no "catch and carry" in NFHS games. If you catch the ball in live ball territory (LBT) for an out and carry it into dead ball territory, you cannot carry the "dead" ball back into LBT and change the status of the ball back to "live" again.

Other codes (OBR) may allow this action but only by specific ground rule.
Old Wed Mar 18, 2015, 09:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck chopper View Post
That's (more or less) the NCAA rule. Does not apply to HS.
Old Wed Mar 18, 2015, 09:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcaverly View Post
Matt has it right. The only thing to add is there is no "catch and carry" in NFHS games. If you catch the ball in live ball territory (LBT) for an out and carry it into dead ball territory, you cannot carry the "dead" ball back into LBT and change the status of the ball back to "live" again.

Other codes (OBR) may allow this action but only by specific ground rule.
OBR allows it by rule. And by general ground rules.

We should note that FED requires both feet in to make the ball dead.
Old Wed Mar 18, 2015, 10:25pm
Official Forum Member

Interestingly, there is a semantic issue that may be at the point of the OP's dispute. Suppose the pitcher charged toward the 1B foul line to glove a bunt. He gloves it but his momentum carries him into a marked dead ball area ( pipes, drainage whatever). The ball is dead. What is the award?
Old Thu Mar 19, 2015, 01:17am
Official Forum Member

The flip side to this debate is it appears that in MLB if you STAY ON YOUR FEET and don't fall over, the ball stays live-runners may tag up, and I suppose you're allowed to throw the ball from the DBT 7.04c, 5.10f
Old Thu Mar 19, 2015, 07:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpjim View Post
Interestingly, there is a semantic issue that may be at the point of the OP's dispute. Suppose the pitcher charged toward the 1B foul line to glove a bunt. He gloves it but his momentum carries him into a marked dead ball area ( pipes, drainage whatever). The ball is dead. What is the award?
1 base.

Unless, of course, he did it on purpose. then, it's two bases.
Old Thu Mar 19, 2015, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
1 base.

Unless, of course, he did it on purpose. then, it's two bases.
I'm wondering if it might be 2 bases and treated as a thrown ball. The fielder did not catch a fair or foul line drive or fly.
Ground ball with over throw to F3 who chases it and as he picks it up his momentum carries him into a dead ball area. Award?
Old Thu Mar 19, 2015, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

I read your play ("F1 gloves bunt") as a catch. Sorry.