The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 18, 2014, 11:21am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
There are a couple of MLB umpires that do that. It's not like it's forbidden.
Just because MLB umpires do it, that doesn't make it correct.

What is still being taught as far as I know is to NOT verbalize location. But plenty of umpires will go ahead and do it anyway out of personal preference. I do it as well only on close pitches, despite evaluators telling me I shouldn't.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Wed Jun 18, 2014, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
Just because MLB umpires do it, that doesn't make it correct.

But it still isn't forbidden.
Old Wed Jun 18, 2014, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

First of all, the main reason they are asking is because they didn't like the call. They ask hoping to get into your mind. Anyone, ANYONE, can see what side of the plate or if a pitch is high or low, so to ask "where was that pitch", well your just getting played.

If you feel as an umpire that you have to appease the coach, then go for it.

Its a strike when I say "Strike" and a ball when I say "Ball".

Stay consistent and you minimize the questions.

And please, don't tell me about how you need to know so I can tell the pitcher how to adjust. Teach him to find the zone and learn what his out pitch is for the official doing the game.

Old Wed Jun 18, 2014, 12:40pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
Assuming the catcher's not setting up in a weird spot - in/out is usually pretty easy to see from A, C, or either coaches dugouts. Watch the glove.
Years ago, I'd do what everyone else did -- punish the catcher that set up outside and then reached over to catch the pitch on the plate.

I don't do that anymore. I don't throw away strikes, not even in college games. So reading catchers isn't sufficient to tell a coach if a pitch is in or out.

Besides, a lot of guys set up 6 inches off and the pitcher dutifully puts it there. Doesn't make it a strike, regardless of how pretty it looks from the dugout.
Old Wed Jun 18, 2014, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

I never implied one should call pitches based on where the catcher was. Not at all. The catcher is irrelevant to my call.

What I said was that in the vast majority of the cases, an umpire in A or C, or a coach near any dugout, can easily see the difference between an inside pitch or an outside pitch based on the movements of the catcher. They are not stupid - they KNOW why it was a ball (with the exception of a pitch near a corner that I mentioned earlier). They are asking so they can be rats - that's all they're doing.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Jun 18, 2014, 01:49pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
But it still isn't forbidden.
Well, it's not forbidden for all three base umpires to position themselves around the mound either.

Off the top of my head, I cannot think of something that is outright forbidden for umpires when it comes to positioning and mechanics. That doesn't mean we can do anything we want out there.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Wed Jun 18, 2014, 04:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Well, it's not forbidden for all three base umpires to position themselves around the mound either.
Reaching.

If you can verbalize effectively for the level you work and the players and coaches you're working with, I don't see what the problem is. I give in/out and it works and I still get to call games.
Old Wed Jun 18, 2014, 07:34pm
Official Forum Member

I'm only working softball these days, but if the catcher moves the glove after catching it, I might tell them "if you like it-frame it" to let them know how I work.
Old Thu Jun 19, 2014, 09:54am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by briancurtin View Post
Reaching.

If you can verbalize effectively for the level you work and the players and coaches you're working with, I don't see what the problem is. I give in/out and it works and I still get to call games.
You missed my point. Just cuz something isn't forbidden, it doesn't make it right.

And I mentioned before that I, too, verbalize every now and then.
Old Thu Jun 19, 2014, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Just cuz something isn't forbidden, it doesn't make it right.
Tevye danced with his wife.
Old Thu Jun 19, 2014, 06:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Tevye danced with his wife.
Nostrovia!