The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 04, 2002, 09:58am
Official Forum Member

Question

After being hit on both hands by one the hardest throwing pitchers in our area last night, I was wondering how other umpires protect their hands when working as the plate umpire. Is there an accepted mechanic or position for this situation? I don't know if I was blessed in other years but I am taking a ton of foul balls off of exposed areas of my body like areas between protective plates on my shin guards and chest protector. I work the "slot" using the "box" technique.
Old Tue Jun 04, 2002, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

Several umpires around here will either put their hands behind their backs or tuck them behind their knee.

I don't find either position comfortable. I put my forearms across my legs for stability & consistency, which tends to put my hands behind the catcher, except when the catcher is setting up way outside.

I've taken a shot to the hands a few times, but more commenly I'll get popped on the forearm.
Old Tue Jun 04, 2002, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

I used to set up with my hands hanging down between my legs in the set position. I was told that this helped protect the "family jewels". When a catcher would set up outside or a low pitch would get away from the catcher, it seems the ball would always bounce up and get my hands. Never anything serious, but it hurt like crazy for a few minutes.

I recently started tucking my elbows in tight to my side and keeping my hands alongside my knees. This has kept my hands from getting hit, but I have taken a few more balls in the vicinity of the groin area. My most important piece of equipment will take care of that, however. (as ugly as I am, the cup is more important than the mask).

The important thing to remember is not to rest your hands on your knees or legs. If you do and the ball hits you in the hand while it is resting against your legs, there is nowhere for your fingers to go and broken bones can happen.
Old Fri Jun 07, 2002, 04:26pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by alabamabluezebra
After being hit on both hands by one the hardest throwing pitchers in our area last night, I was wondering how other umpires protect their hands when working as the plate umpire. Is there an accepted mechanic or position for this situation? I don't know if I was blessed in other years but I am taking a ton of foul balls off of exposed areas of my body like areas between protective plates on my shin guards and chest protector. I work the "slot" using the "box" technique.
A

Alabama, I like the scissor position myself, it give me balance. But, if you keep getting hit with the ball, your mind will take over, me and fans will then call it, Ducking ! Good Luck.
Old Fri Jun 07, 2002, 04:39pm
Official Forum Member

ABZ.......

I wish I could give you a perfect position where you would be perfectly safe.......BUT........so sorry......

Wear your equipment and trust it to the utmost.......

BUT........sometimes you will be hit in an unprotected area........I have felt like a punching bag this year

Mine (like yours) seem to be the wrist and hand........

My only suggestion is to NOT lock your forearm hard against your thigh........if you do get hit there......you will at least have some momentum backwards........

Whether you call BB or SB......you will get hit every now and than............

Good luck........

Joel
Old Fri Jun 07, 2002, 10:16pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Gulf Coast Blue

My only suggestion is to NOT lock your forearm hard against your thigh........if you do get hit there......you will at least have some momentum backwards........

I agree, Joel, that the important thing is to have a relaxed forearm on the thigh.
From the box, my main bruising comes on my left forearm muscle. My arm rests well away from my body and away from my knee guard (1/3-1/2 way toward the groin.)
I never tighten anything, so I always have "give".
Bend... don't break.
mick