The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Aug 20, 2007, 01:28pm
Official Forum Member

Pitch Location

The HPU on yesterdays Orioles vs Jays game could be heard on every ball, saying, "thats outside" or "thats low" ect. I was taught(18 yrs ago) only to call "ball".
Then again on a ball some guys don't say anything.
What's the general concensus on here?
Old Mon Aug 20, 2007, 01:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR12
The HPU on yesterdays Orioles vs Jays game could be heard on every ball, saying, "thats outside" or "thats low" ect. I was taught(18 yrs ago) only to call "ball".
Then again on a ball some guys don't say anything.
What's the general concensus on here?
Verbalizing location of close ball calls has become more accepted over the past few years. Some MLB umires do it as well.

The terminology taught is down, up, in, and out.
Old Mon Aug 20, 2007, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
Verbalizing location of close ball calls has become more accepted over the past few years. Some MLB umires do it as well.

The terminology taught is down, up, in, and out.
Only on pitches that are close. It's a good verbalization and it sets close commo between F2 and PU. I am happy to see this officiating strategy is being endorsed, finally, after having used it for years on years.

Good for B too, if he asks with humility and total politeness
Old Mon Aug 20, 2007, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interested Ump
Only on pitches that are close. It's a good verbalization and it sets close commo between F2 and PU. I am happy to see this officiating strategy is being endorsed, finally, after having used it for years on years.

The problem I have with giving location is that we are going to miss'm. It's called being human

Therefore, if you did "kick" a pitch and said for example "IN" and then the exact same pitch is called a strike would lead to a credibility issue.

If you are going to give location and do "kick" one are you going to admit that "you missed it" so that both F2 and B1 know that the next pitch in the same location will be called differently?

Mechanics seem to change every year and sometimes the "old" teachings are still prevalent.

I do give location but only on rare occassions.

Pete Booth
Old Mon Aug 20, 2007, 03:18pm
Official Forum Member

Originally Posted by Interested Ump

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteBooth
The problem I have with giving location is that we are going to miss'm. It's called being human

Therefore, if you did "kick" a pitch and said for example "IN" and then the exact same pitch is called a strike would lead to a credibility issue.

If you are going to give location and do "kick" one are you going to admit that "you missed it" so that both F2 and B1 know that the next pitch in the same location will be called differently?

P.S. edited

This goes both ways, if I call a strike that should have been a ball, flip the commo to suit.

Mechanics seem to change every year and sometimes the "old" teachings are still prevalent.

I do give location but only on rare occassions.

Pete Booth
Yes, I admit to missing calls when I have good commo with a catcher. If he is good, he will know that he is going to get an occasional miss and that we may not agree on strike/ball locations either. It's a commiseration almost like a dance

Seriously, I will discreetly let F2 know, at the right time, that I missed it and he gets the next one there in the same location. I encourage him to tell his P, he needs to know what the heck is going on too.

I don't like missing plate calls and don't understand why there should be great difficulty in calling an accurate plate if you are experienced and the quality of play is high. Missing ball and strike calls tees me off, F2 sees that or at least I sure hope.

PS. Edited

If I miss a ball, called a strike, flip the above commo and customize to suit.

Last edited by Interested Ump; Mon Aug 20, 2007 at 04:39pm.
Old Mon Aug 20, 2007, 04:25pm
Official Forum Member

my .02

As a partial season ticket holder who is close enough to hear the umpires calls, I have heard more locations given recently....

Pirate game this weekend....

Hunter Wendlestadt used

Thats inside...
Thats low....
No or Low....

as for me, I am not MLB, so I will stick with Ball and Strike........

Last edited by piaa_ump; Mon Aug 20, 2007 at 04:49pm.
Old Mon Aug 20, 2007, 04:35pm
Official Forum Member

I like to use the quickest word, not words, that gets the message to F2. "No" if the call is not possibly up-in, out-down and all other combinations. If the pitch has missed in two locations, then its "up n in" or if one location, correct expression such as "In". I like "down" as opposed to Low since No and Low sound alike.

"In, Out Up, Down", combinations thereof.
Old Mon Aug 20, 2007, 05:27pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
I suspect he attended the other fellow's school. I wonder if he got a discount?

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Mon Aug 20, 2007, 06:33pm
Official Forum Member

Although I do hear it a little bit more as of late, I was taught not to verbalize the location of the pitch. Some rats like it, some will use it against you. The rat come back... that's not down.. or that's not up comments. Of course that gives us the opportunity to use the standard reply... that's the door...
Old Mon Aug 20, 2007, 06:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherblue
Although I do hear it a little bit more as of late, I was taught not to verbalize the location of the pitch. Some rats like it, some will use it against you. The rat come back... that's not down.. or that's not up comments. Of course that gives us the opportunity to use the standard reply... that's the door...
Coaches can spit up comments on ball/strike calls about, oh, three times before I send his F2 directly to the dugout with a clear and concise message of total intolerance for their opinions. That issue solved, location info is about F2/F1 and PU getting on the same page. It's good commo, it's fun and develops game relationships, good for everyone.
Old Mon Aug 20, 2007, 07:38pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to NFump
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherblue
Or the ever popular "That's not a strike!". They get you anyway you go.
Old Mon Aug 20, 2007, 08:37pm
Official Forum Member

The closer they are the louder I say BALL. I only explain 'em if asked by the catcher in a way that I know he and I are the only ones having the discussion. If he knows what will and will not be called a strike the game will go along much more smoothly.
Old Tue Aug 21, 2007, 08:53am
Official Forum Member

I call the pitch for what it is - strike or ball. It's up to F1 & F2 to fix the problem, they are smart enough to do that.

If I call a ball and the coach asks where it was, I tell him "It was in the ball zone, there coach!"

I am not an announcer - I leave that to the "professionals" like Tim McCarver!
Old Tue Aug 21, 2007, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

I haven't kept accurate records, but I'd say well over 90% of the time, when F2 asks about location it goes something like "Was that _______?" Fill in the blank with low, outside etc etc. Very seldom is it an open ended question such as "Where was that?"
In other words, they know where it was and the point of their question is to politely and subtlely say "I disagree"
If I start verbalizing every close ball call I'm taking away F2s opportunity to communicate discreetly and politely. Now all he can do is show bad body language, which everyone sees, or tell me not so subtlely the call sucked.
I'm sure there are advantages to verbalizing locations, but for now I prefer the old fashion dance.