The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old Fri May 16, 2003, 12:12am
Official Forum Member

Just curious about this, since I do not own a rule book. My daughter plays ASA Fastpitch Softball in the 10 & under league. At a recent game, a girl (who had been hit previously in the batter's box) was scared when she got up to bat. She jumped out of the box every pitch whether it was a ball or strike. She actually ran out of the box about 6-7 feet away. Is there any rule pertaining to this? Our coach claims each pitch should have been a strike since she jumped out of the box. Another coach claimed that she can turn cart-wheels because there is no rule pertaining to the batter jumping out of the box. The umpire called them as they were. But the next time she got up to bat, our coach made comment to the umpire calling and then the girl was called strikes on till she was out. It doesn't seem right that she could do this because then all players could just stand out of the box, but I don't know the rules and that's why I posted here.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old Fri May 16, 2003, 06:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tkistre
Just curious about this, since I do not own a rule book. My daughter plays ASA Fastpitch Softball in the 10 & under league. At a recent game, a girl (who had been hit previously in the batter's box) was scared when she got up to bat. She jumped out of the box every pitch whether it was a ball or strike. She actually ran out of the box about 6-7 feet away. Is there any rule pertaining to this? Our coach claims each pitch should have been a strike since she jumped out of the box. Another coach claimed that she can turn cart-wheels because there is no rule pertaining to the batter jumping out of the box. The umpire called them as they were. But the next time she got up to bat, our coach made comment to the umpire calling and then the girl was called strikes on till she was out. It doesn't seem right that she could do this because then all players could just stand out of the box, but I don't know the rules and that's why I posted here.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
To start with, that batter probably should have been removed from the game by the coach. JMHO.

The umpire calls the pitch as they see the pitch. IT IS NOT AUTOMATICALLY A STRIKE.

However, the batter is forbidden from totally leaving the box between pitches except under certain circumstances. When this occurs, the umpire may call a strike or warn the batter. There is no limit on the number of warnings or strikes an umpire may call on each batter. Please note, an umpire may continue to warn the batter. A called strike is not mandated by the rules though I believe it would be prudent if this action continued after the warnings.

Old Fri May 16, 2003, 06:57am
Official Forum Member

I agree with Mike, remove the kid from the game. If at 10
and U she is scared of the ball, unless you find some method
to prove to her she will be alright, then things are probably
not going to improve.

glen
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Fri May 16, 2003, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

For JO FP and SP and adult modified, rule 7-3-C lists 8 circumstances under which the batter can leave the box.

Number 3 is "if forced out of the box by a pitch." You could argue that the batter in question was avoiding being hit, regardless of her faulty judgment. The rule also says, "leaves the batter's box and delays play," so merely leaving the box momentarily and getting right back in is not a violation. Example: nobody on, pitch goes back to the screen. As the catcher retrieves it, the batter steps out of the box and takes a practice swing. She returns as soon as the pitcher gets the ball. That is not a violation.

I would say the girl could jump out on every pitch with no penalty. Whether the coaches should remove her from the game is solely their decision.

Old Fri May 16, 2003, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

Wow, thanks for replying so quickly. I think the coach should have pulled her out as well, but that didn't happen. The girl was crying and upset. I felt bad for the girl, because last year my girl had a similar problem after being hit several times in the first few games. The umpires called strikes if she jumped out of the box when the ball was obviously no where close to hitting her. I guess I'd like to see some consistency in the calls, but not knowing the rules myself, I try not to pass judgement on the way I felt things should be. I just emailed the local contact to see about getting a rule book.
Old Fri May 16, 2003, 09:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by greymule
For JO FP and SP and adult modified, rule 7-3-C lists 8 circumstances under which the batter can leave the box.

Number 3 is "if forced out of the box by a pitch." You could argue that the batter in question was avoiding being hit, regardless of her faulty judgment. The rule also says, "leaves the batter's box and delays play," so merely leaving the box momentarily and getting right back in is not a violation. Example: nobody on, pitch goes back to the screen. As the catcher retrieves it, the batter steps out of the box and takes a practice swing. She returns as soon as the pitcher gets the ball. That is not a violation.

I would say the girl could jump out on every pitch with no penalty. Whether the coaches should remove her from the game is solely their decision.

Nope, won't buy that one. The RULE state that "the batter must remain in the box with at least one foot between pitchers and while taking signals and practice swings."

I do not agree that a batter's fear of a thrown ball is sufficient cause to be "forced" out of the box unless the pitch actually came near passing through the box.

The EFFECT states that "If the batter leaves the batter's box and delays play, and none of these exceptions apply, the umpire may warn the batter or call a strike." I consider this nothing more than a hint to the umpire in the manner to apply the penalty. Just because there is no noticeable delay (10 seconds isn't that long) doen't mean the umpire is to ignore rule 7.3.C.

Old Fri May 16, 2003, 10:45pm
Official Forum Member

Wink 10U....well......

The delay rule is one thing, same as baseball, pretty much.The kid that enters box, knees shaking... heels on the outside line...pitch is on the way...kid bails, I gotta strike(unless in the dirt or well above mid-section)I would expect the strike call if my kid was bailing, coaches know it, too! At least here.....JMHO
Old Fri May 16, 2003, 11:18pm
Official Forum Member

If at 10U "freezing" can be judged as "attempting to avoid" on a HBP, then so can "bailing" be judged as "forced out of the box by a pitch." We're talking about 4th and 5th graders here. Development and learning the game are primary goals.

At this age, I wouldn't apply 7-3-C for bailing out in fear unless it actually DID delay play (e.g. she bailed out and didn't want to reenter the box) in a timed game that meant something.

At this age, I also wouldn't call strikes unless the pitch was actually a strike.

Now, the original situation said she "bailed" out by 6-7 feet. That may elicit a warning (directed to the coach, since I doubt this batter was of any mind to care if she struck out or not) if it actually delayed play; more likely, it would elicit some attempt to try to calm the player down rather than punish her; perhaps calling time for the coach to have a quiet discussion or something.

10U fastpitch isn't the world series, and a team with a player that fearful of the pitch isn't likely in Championship Play, either.

Of course, this is JMO.
Old Sat May 17, 2003, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dakota
If at 10U "freezing" can be judged as "attempting to avoid" on a HBP, then so can "bailing" be judged as "forced out of the box by a pitch." We're talking about 4th and 5th graders here. Development and learning the game are primary goals.

At this age, I wouldn't apply 7-3-C for bailing out in fear unless it actually DID delay play (e.g. she bailed out and didn't want to reenter the box) in a timed game that meant something.

At this age, I also wouldn't call strikes unless the pitch was actually a strike.

Now, the original situation said she "bailed" out by 6-7 feet. That may elicit a warning (directed to the coach, since I doubt this batter was of any mind to care if she struck out or not) if it actually delayed play; more likely, it would elicit some attempt to try to calm the player down rather than punish her; perhaps calling time for the coach to have a quiet discussion or something.

10U fastpitch isn't the world series, and a team with a player that fearful of the pitch isn't likely in Championship Play, either.

Of course, this is JMO.
Tom,

I have no problem with the manner in which you believe you would handle this especially at the 10U level. Of course, I don't believe there should be championship play at this age level, but that is not my call.

My debate is the application of the particular rule as Grey stated. Remember, there is another team out there and if they can control their players why shouldn't their opponent be expected to do the same.

Addressing the coach in this matter is a great idea, but I wouldn't suggest that the umpire ignore the rule due to the age of the players. If it were meant to be that way, an exception would be noted.

BTW, there is no way a kid runs this far out of the BB and does not cause a delay. Since the rule requires them to stay in the box, the clock starts ticking the moment the cather returns the ball to the pitcher.

Old Mon May 26, 2003, 08:51am
Official Forum Member

I finally heard back from one of the local contacts listed on ASA's web site for my area. He claimed that I could not get a rule book since I was not an umpire or a manager that had a team. He did offer to answer my question since he was a "chief umpire", so I posted the exact question that I asked here and he basically said that she "can" jump out of the box and the pitches should be called as they were, ball or strike.
Old Mon May 26, 2003, 05:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tkistre
I finally heard back from one of the local contacts listed on ASA's web site for my area. He claimed that I could not get a rule book since I was not an umpire or a manager that had a team. He did offer to answer my question since he was a "chief umpire", so I posted the exact question that I asked here and he basically said that she "can" jump out of the box and the pitches should be called as they were, ball or strike.
That's true. Managers and umpires pay a registration fee that includes the rule book. You can get a rule book on line @ http://www.softball.org.

That fact that she can jump out of the box is also true and the umpire should call it whatever they deemed the pitch was, ball or strike. I don't believe anyone argued that point. The debate is whether this could continue without the umpire offering a warning or ruling a strike for the batter being in violation of ASA Rule 7.3.C

Old Mon May 26, 2003, 06:45pm
Official Forum Member

Rule books are available at most sporting goods stores, such as Hibbets.