The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 27, 2014, 09:58pm
Administrator

Coaches are so adorable.

H-F1 has been pitching from the Set since the first Batter of the game. Each and every time, after coming to a Complete and Discernible Stop, H-F1 picks his non-pivot up off the ground about twelve inches as he steps toward HP.

Now, with two outs in the top of the second inning, the Visitors have R3 on 3B with B4 at bat. This time H-F1 picks up his non-pivot foot about 18 inches off of the ground as he steps toward HP to deliver his pitch. Naturally, because of the higher leg kick it may have R3 think that F1 is going to step toward 3B but F1's movement is non-stop and very fluid and he delivers his pitch toward HP.

Immediately, V-HC, who is coaching from the 1B Coach's Box, screams "Balk!!" I ignore him and B4 pops up for the third out of the inning on the very next pitch. Immediately, V-HC asks me as he walks to his Third Base Dugout, why the previous pitch was not a balk. I told him it was not a balk because F1 did not balk. His response: "But his move was deceptive to my runner." I chuckled and told him that a Pitcher is allowed to be deceptive as long as he does not violate the pitching rules. He looked at me with the most bewildering look on his face, .

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue May 27, 2014, 10:21pm
Official Forum Member

He is probably still looking for that specific rule.
Old Tue May 27, 2014, 11:07pm
Official Forum Member

Had a similar, perhaps even more bizarre one, this weekend. R3, pitcher going from windup. Had a very deliberate, slow delivery most of the game in windup, but decides to go faster for once. 3B Coach yells "balk". After pitch (which, karma, was a strike), I tell coach "It's not a balk and do NOT use that word, that is reserved for us - ESPECIALLY during a live ball". The coach said "but he sped up his delivery, he can't do that!". It was so absurd that I think he realized it himself, as after he said it his voice just kind of tailed off and he mumbled for a few seconds, then never spoke of it again.