The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat May 17, 2014, 11:00pm
Official Forum Member

bunting

Bunting batter gets hit by his own bunt. Is the rule one foot or both feet out of the box when he gets hit for him to be called out?
Old Sat May 17, 2014, 11:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timeout View Post
Bunting batter gets hit by his own bunt. Is the rule one foot or both feet out of the box when he gets hit for him to be called out?
Depends. The current OBR wants both feet in the box touching ground or else he's out. Other codes differ and most of us that the relied on OBR interps prior to the "both feet" change would not call a batter out if one foot had not left the box and the other one was who knows where if you were watching the other foot.

Last edited by umpjim; Sat May 17, 2014 at 11:21pm.
Old Sun May 18, 2014, 06:50am
Official Forum Member

There are two rules that determine when the batter is "in the box."

One (6.03) refers to the batter's initial position in the box. Both feet must be entirely within the box (touching the lines is ok because the lines are part of the box).

The other (6.06a) applies when the batter hits the ball. The batter is legal as long as neither foot is on the ground entirely out of the box, i.e., completely across (and not touching) the line.

When the batter (or his bat) is hit by a fair batted ball, 6.03 applies. However, in practice (at least in my experience), it had to be pretty obvious that the batter was out of the box in order to bang him out. The lines of the box become partially obliterated after the first few batters, and the benefit of any doubt always went to the batter. In effect, umpires were applying the less strict standards of 6.06(a). OBR has recently made it clear that 6.03 is the rule that applies when the batter is hit by a batted ball,
Old Sun May 18, 2014, 08:48am
Official Forum Member

FED is clear (to my reading at least) that if one foot is (or has been) on the ground entirely out of the box, the batter is out.

Even though the OBR interp differs a bit -- it's still "one foot", to answer the OP.
Old Mon May 19, 2014, 08:08am
Official Forum Member

Are you asking if the ball hits him after he bunts it? If so, then both feet have to be out of the box for him to be declared out. If one foot is still in the box it is a foul ball.

As far as when he makes contact with the ball, if one foot is completely out of the box (in any code), he is out. In FED, if his foot is touching the plate, he is out (even though he may still be touching the line).
Old Mon May 19, 2014, 08:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyChiefBlue View Post
Are you asking if the ball hits him after he bunts it? If so, then both feet have to be out of the box for him to be declared out. If one foot is still in the box it is a foul ball.
Nope.
Old Mon May 19, 2014, 09:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyChiefBlue View Post
Disagree, but I'm willing to see whatever references you have on this.
Old Wed May 21, 2014, 11:09am
In Time Out

Must C: Conclusion | MLB.com
Old Wed May 21, 2014, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to charliej47 Send a message via MSN to charliej47 Send a message via Yahoo to charliej47
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk314 View Post
In this video, you can see that one foot is out of the box and it looked to me as if the trailing foot had been picked up when contact was made.

I tried stop-motion and still looked like the trailing foot was up.
NFHS Class #1 softball/baseball
ASA/USSSA
Dayton, Ohio

I have been umpiring so long that it was called Rounders when I started.
Old Wed May 21, 2014, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliej47 View Post
In this video, you can see that one foot is out of the box and it looked to me as if the trailing foot had been picked up when contact was made.

I tried stop-motion and still looked like the trailing foot was up.
Doesn't matter.

Wasn't this discussed 4 weeks ago when it happened? (May have been on another site.)