The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 25, 2014, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

Its cold outside!

Fed rules.

At the plate meeting we allow pitchers to blow on their hands due to cold weather. In the 3rd inning one of the coaches asks if the pitcher is allowed to blow on his hands after intentionally contacting the rubber or does he have to step off to blow on his hands.

In the 4th inning a pitching substitution is made and the new pitcher requests additional warm up pitches due to cold weather. I agree to the additional pitches (12 total) and let both coaches know that I am allowing additional pitches. My question is "Can the starting pitcher return to pitch after allowing more than 8 pitches due to cold weather?"
Old Tue Feb 25, 2014, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

6-2-2 Exception: list the reasons an umpire may permitt additional warm up pitches: Injury, ejection or weather.

3-1-2: or If his replacement requires more throws than permitted in 6-2-2 exception, he cannot return to pitch.

So if you grant more than 8 pitches to the substitute pitcher for whatever reason, then the replaced pitcher is done on the mound.

Seems a bit harsh, but that is the rule.
Old Tue Feb 25, 2014, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert E. Harrison View Post
Fed rules.

At the plate meeting we allow pitchers to blow on their hands due to cold weather. In the 3rd inning one of the coaches asks if the pitcher is allowed to blow on his hands after intentionally contacting the rubber or does he have to step off to blow on his hands.

In the 4th inning a pitching substitution is made and the new pitcher requests additional warm up pitches due to cold weather. I agree to the additional pitches (12 total) and let both coaches know that I am allowing additional pitches. My question is "Can the starting pitcher return to pitch after allowing more than 8 pitches due to cold weather?"
I believe there was a test question this year (Part 1 or 2) NFHS, that also stated the same thing John has. I will look up when I get home.

As far as blowing on the hands , that might be something you can go over at the plate meeting to avoid over-technical coach in unusal conditions. Blow on your hands before making contact with the plate.
Old Tue Feb 25, 2014, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

You would really be blowing on your hands today in Southern Minnesota--9 degrees above 0.
Old Tue Feb 25, 2014, 08:30pm
Official Forum Member

Just as I thought

NFHS Part 1 2014 "57. With the weather being chilly, the relief pitcher asks for more throws to warm up.
A.The plate umpire cannot legally authorize additional warm-up throws.

B.The plate umpire must grant the request.

C.The plate umpire may grant the request and shall ban the pitching coach from the bullpen.

D.The plate umpire may grant the request.The pitcher being replaced may not return to pitch for the balance of the game."

3-1-2 NFHS ....."If the pitcher, because of an injury or being incapacitated,
is replaced as pitcher and the above rule is not satisfied, or if his replacement
requires more warm-up throws than permitted in 6-2-2 exception, he cannot
return to the game as a pitcher."

If the original pitcher is the starter, you might want to inform the coach that his starter can not return to the mound.
Old Tue Feb 25, 2014, 11:07pm
Official Forum Member

If original pitcher is incapacitated or injured why would the coach want to return him to pitch? I know some are idiots, but ...really.
Old Wed Feb 26, 2014, 08:13am
Veteran College Umpire

If you allow the pitchers to blow on their hands they may do so at any time - even while in contact with the rubber.
I remember watching Jim Palmer (oops, dating myself here) take the sign while blowing on his hand and then going right to the ball in his glove to start his windup.
As long as the pitchers are in fact blowing on their hands and not doctoring the baseball they're fine.

JJ
Old Wed Feb 26, 2014, 09:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG View Post
If original pitcher is incapacitated or injured why would the coach want to return him to pitch? I know some are idiots, but ...really.
Your absolutely correct however, the rule also applies to a straight substitution. The umpire wants to be a nice guy and allow the sub more warm-ups because the game is being played in Southern Minnesota and by rule, that starter can't return.

Not logical I agree, but you might just be doing that idiots game that nite.