The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 28, 2014, 02:48pm
Official & ***** Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvumpire1807 View Post
This is the dumbest rule in all of baseball. The dugout restriction. What good does it do. Every time I have restricted an ejection comes later. So I have stopped restricting and just ejecting.
In our state, any ejection carries a minimum $300 fine. We are asked to restrict first (if at all possible), even though an ejection may soon follow. The coach will have a hard time winning an administrative appeal in those circumstances.
Old Fri Mar 28, 2014, 02:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
This is the dumbest rule in all of baseball. The dugout restriction. What good does it do. Every time I have restricted an ejection comes later. So I have stopped restricting and just ejecting.
I'm going to assume that you are from West Virginia by your screen name, I know that it's dangerous to assume, but here we go. BTW, I'm not saying anything bad about West Virginia, I'm just going to tell what the UIL wants in Texas. The University Interscholastic League, UIL, is the governing body for HS sports in the State of Texas.

UIL wants officials to keep head and assistant coaches in the game if at all possible. It's our job to diffuse any situation to where the coach is prevented from ejecting himself. The restricting to the dugout is a tool that we can use. It's like the first tech given to a coach in basketball. Basketball officials call it the seat belt rule, the coach can't get up out of the chair to do diddly squat. The restriction to the dugout does the same thing. The coach knows he has parked himself right on top of the line and he will be gone if he does anything else.

If we eject a coach, a report has to be filled out with the UIL. It shows due diligence on behalf of the official if a restriction to the dugout was done first. I agree with you that in certain events an ejection is warranted without using a restriction, but as Texas officials, we are encourged to use the restriction as the first step.

Last edited by nopachunts; Fri Mar 28, 2014 at 02:56pm. Reason: Keyboard keeps misspelling.
Old Fri Mar 28, 2014, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
That's quite odd. I would be unejected seatbelted coaches outnumber seatbelted-then-later-ejected coaches about 20 - 1 in games I've been involved with. I almost never hear another word from a seatbelted coach - AT ALL - during the remainder of the game.

"Every time" seems to me to be a tremendous stretch.

Mike, you type a lot faster than I do.
Old Fri Mar 28, 2014, 03:08pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
This is the dumbest rule in all of baseball.
Actually, the dumbest rule in all of FED baseball is the immediate dead ball on a balk. At least I thought that when my son played and his two-run double was negated because the pitcher didn't pause after going set.

Or has FED finally come to its senses and changed that rule? I don't umpire FED baseball, so I don't have any idea.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Fri Mar 28, 2014, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
Actually, the dumbest rule in all of FED baseball is the immediate dead ball on a balk. At least I thought that when my son played and his two-run double was negated because the pitcher didn't pause after going set.

Or has FED finally come to its senses and changed that rule? I don't umpire FED baseball, so I don't have any idea.
It's still an immediate dead ball.
Old Fri Mar 28, 2014, 03:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

It's also why when you call a balk you call it VERY forcefully so hopefully everyone will stop and F1 doesn't deliver the pitch.
Old Fri Mar 28, 2014, 03:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

At least that rule has its basis in OBR. It's just a shame that FED hasn't progressed the six decades since then.