Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 16, 2014, 06:27pm
Official Forum Member

Restricted To The Dugout??

Head coach is restricted to the dugout.

What is he restricted from?

In reading 3-4-4 it says something about "if a coach who is restricted to the dugout is involved in a charged conference...." that seems to say he can go out for a conference.

Is there somewhere that says what he cannot do when restricted?
Old Sun Feb 16, 2014, 07:04pm
Official Forum Member

A charged conference can be held at the bench. Also if a player is ill or injured, the coach may attend to them. That is about all he can do. However, his official duties can be only conducted on/at the bench. Any further unsportsmanlike conduct gets him ejected.
Old Mon Feb 17, 2014, 02:39am
Official Forum Member

Basically, he can do all his coaching duties as long as he doesn't leave the bench area - conferences all have to come to him at the bench
Old Mon Feb 17, 2014, 09:16am
Stop staring at me swan.

And there are instances where he should be ejected and not restricted. Make sure to toss him when by rule you can't restrict.
Old Fri Mar 14, 2014, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08 View Post
And there are instances where he should be ejected and not restricted. Make sure to toss him when by rule you can't restrict.

I am glad I work a ruleset that doesn't permit restricting. I fail to see the merit in it. Throw them out.
Old Fri Mar 14, 2014, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by constable View Post
I am glad I work a ruleset that doesn't permit restricting. I fail to see the merit in it. Throw them out.
I only do it when it's required, which has happened exactly once--and I loved it. Annoying (state legend) HC in my ear as BU, then AC gets tossed for arguing. Got to sit the HC down for free.
Old Fri Mar 14, 2014, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by constable View Post
A restriction to the dugout should be used similar to the 1st technical a coach is given in basketball. It enables you to quieten down the coach without the coach suffering further trouble. In Texas, if a coach is ejected, he has to go to Austin, go before the UIL, and explain his actions. He is also put on probation for a year and if he is ejected again within the year, he may suspended for a year. Ejection(s) on a coach's record can make it difficult for a coach to move up in the coaching ranks. UIL prefers that the coach be restricted first and then if he continues, eject him.
Old Fri Mar 14, 2014, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

I don't work FED, so this question: does having conferences at the dugout create significant delay?
Old Fri Mar 14, 2014, 02:23pm
Official Forum Member

Delay?

Not really, the players run in and run out just like at the half-inning change with no warm-ups. I usually allow the same amount of time for the coach to make his point, then break it up.
Old Fri Mar 14, 2014, 09:45pm
Official Forum Member

I have never restricted a coach to dugout and then witnessed a conference where players come to bench. Coach delegates conferences to assistants.
Old Mon Mar 17, 2014, 08:57am
Official Forum Member

The best part of restricting is that I get the coach sitting on the bench and quiet (since by rule he is ejected if he causes any more trouble) and I don't have to write a report.
Old Mon Mar 17, 2014, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by se minnestoa re View Post
the best part of restricting is that i get the coach sitting on the bench and quiet (since by rule he is ejected if he causes any more trouble) and i don't have to write a report. :d

+1,000,000
Old Mon Mar 17, 2014, 11:43am
Medium Kahuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRZ View Post
I don't work FED, so this question: does having conferences at the dugout create significant delay?
Yes, that's why the conference is charged.

It's no more delay, and often less, to have F1 jog over to the dugout and back than to have coach haul his butt out to the mound and back.
Old Fri Mar 28, 2014, 02:24pm
Official Forum Member

This is the dumbest rule in all of baseball. The dugout restriction. What good does it do. Every time I have restricted an ejection comes later. So I have stopped restricting and just ejecting.
Old Fri Mar 28, 2014, 02:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvumpire1807 View Post
This is the dumbest rule in all of baseball. The dugout restriction. What good does it do. Every time I have restricted an ejection comes later. So I have stopped restricting and just ejecting.
That's quite odd. I would be unejected seatbelted coaches outnumber seatbelted-then-later-ejected coaches about 20 - 1 in games I've been involved with. I almost never hear another word from a seatbelted coach - AT ALL - during the remainder of the game.

"Every time" seems to me to be a tremendous stretch.

West Houston Mike