The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 23, 2014, 08:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk314 View Post
Not to hijack the thread, but it's kind of related. Is it a conflict of interest in your opinions to umpire exclusively for the district you graduated from?
When did you graduate?

And, I wouldn't want to be at the same field more than twice per scholastic season, or see the same team more than three or four times -- so working only for one district is going to really restrict your schedule.
Old Thu Jan 23, 2014, 11:26am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrounge View Post
I would just tell your assignor the facts and let him give you input.
I agree with this advice. If you try to pick and choose which schools and divisions to block on your own, you'll end up limiting your availability at the detriment of your association.

Your assignor has (or should have) a good feel for the lay of the land with respect to athletic directors and coaches, and how amenable they are to accepting umpires. There may be a couple of very anal coaches who will do their homework on scheduled umpires, while there may be others who are happy with any umpire that has a reasonable level of skill, and yet others who are satisfied with two warm bodies in blue. Why take away opportunities to work games where the coaches don't care who is on the field?

What I wouldn't do is make it apparent that you have some affiliation with a school that can be perceived as a problem. You certainly wouldn't want to be quite vocal at your kid's game against Notre Dame Prep School, and then be the plate umpire for NDPS's next game.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Thu Jan 23, 2014, 04:10pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
When did you graduate?

And, I wouldn't want to be at the same field more than twice per scholastic season, or see the same team more than three or four times -- so working only for one district is going to really restrict your schedule.
Seven years ago.
Old Thu Jan 23, 2014, 09:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Seven years ago.
I would say that is sufficient time so the fact that you graduated is not a conflict.

Working only for one district might be.
Old Thu Jan 23, 2014, 10:55pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Quote:
Not to hijack the thread, but it's kind of related. Is it a conflict of interest in your opinions to umpire exclusively for the district you graduated from?

If you're doing below varsity it simply doesn't matter. Load up.
Old Thu Jan 23, 2014, 11:39pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08 View Post
If you're doing below varsity it simply doesn't matter. Load up.
Same thinking in my neighboring state. Many schools hire the same two umpires for the entire JV or freshman schedule and those umpires frequently live in town. Nobody bats an eye.
Old Fri Jan 24, 2014, 12:12am
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Same thinking in my neighboring state. Many schools hire the same two umpires for the entire JV or freshman schedule and those umpires frequently live in town. Nobody bats an eye.
I'm not sure how many different umpires he uses. As of now I only have five Frosh and a JV.
Old Sun Jan 26, 2014, 05:54pm
Official Forum Member

I suggest you block out dates when your son plays and enjoy watching games from the bleachers. Let your assignor know why you have so many block out dates. And then leave it to him to assign your games when you are available.

I doubt he would block you from the same school's JV and Varsity games. Of course this assumes your son's games are not on the same days, and if so you have a choice to make.

Last edited by DG; Sun Jan 26, 2014 at 05:56pm.
Old Sat Feb 01, 2014, 09:44pm
Official Forum Member

IMHO, sub-varsity is irrelevant.

I used to do all the sub-varsity football at a certain HS.

I did so much, I got a 1099 most years.

I also worked a JV football game with the Superintendent of the home school!

Noone batted an eye.
Old Mon Feb 03, 2014, 04:59am
🤔😹

Depends...

I would definitely stay clear of the school altogether. In my area, it's almost impossible to avoid the entire conference.
Yet here's a little bit different twist - I went to a catholic school where the team spirit was above average. Generations of families are tied to this school to the point that if I run into someone to this day, in any aspect of life, there's an immediate connection (#brotherhood) that's worthy of brownie points...(discounts, extra pepperoni, keychains, etc).
I stuck around for 2 years after I graduated as a manager/assistant for the basketball team. I began officiating basketball, then eventually softball & baseball because of my coach.
As time went on, things change, politics play their role and coach is no longer at my alma mater. He hasn't been there since about 8 years ago...
I was class of 96... I had NEVER been assigned or worked any sport there until this season, 2013. ALTHOUGH I know I am fully capable of exercising fair discretion. (and I have filled in on games at the last minute... with no issues).
I still to this day remain in contact with my coach and his family.
It's not that I don't have the integrity, it's that the reputation of others' affects what is perceived of me.

Better safe than out.
(Unless you're us, then the faster the outs, the sooner we're done.)