Thread: Umpire Ethics
View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 03, 2014, 04:59am
🤔😹

Depends...

I would definitely stay clear of the school altogether. In my area, it's almost impossible to avoid the entire conference.
Yet here's a little bit different twist - I went to a catholic school where the team spirit was above average. Generations of families are tied to this school to the point that if I run into someone to this day, in any aspect of life, there's an immediate connection (#brotherhood) that's worthy of brownie points...(discounts, extra pepperoni, keychains, etc).
I stuck around for 2 years after I graduated as a manager/assistant for the basketball team. I began officiating basketball, then eventually softball & baseball because of my coach.
As time went on, things change, politics play their role and coach is no longer at my alma mater. He hasn't been there since about 8 years ago...
I was class of 96... I had NEVER been assigned or worked any sport there until this season, 2013. ALTHOUGH I know I am fully capable of exercising fair discretion. (and I have filled in on games at the last minute... with no issues).
I still to this day remain in contact with my coach and his family.
It's not that I don't have the integrity, it's that the reputation of others' affects what is perceived of me.

Better safe than out.
(Unless you're us, then the faster the outs, the sooner we're done.)