The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Nov 23, 2013, 09:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremeump View Post
Please advise, I am sorry and do not understand ? If you help me I can be a productive participant in many discussions.

Chuck
I tdoesn't matter wheather it was a cleared bat or an accidentally placed bat -- it's two bases TOT regardless
Old Mon Nov 25, 2013, 09:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Point taken. If the ball hits a cleared bat it is a 2B award with a dead ball.
You asked for clarification on my "Oh dear", and then after we clarified you told Rich you needed help being a more productive poster...

Let's just say this. The statement you made above is false. If this was a T/F on a test, I would hope you would say False.

A thrown ball hitting a bat (cleared or not) is simply a thrown ball hitting a bat. It is not a 2B award. it is not a dead ball.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Nov 25, 2013, 08:27pm
Official Forum Member

The OP has the ball going out of play, I do not know what Oh Dear Has to offer to the discussion ? Book rule is 2B @ TOT, I looked back at my post and see that I was not clear with that. What is the question that I should have false on ? I am sorry I have a hard time following you. Very Sorry for any confusion on my post.
Old Mon Nov 25, 2013, 08:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
And if the cleared bat ends up in the way of the throw and the same play happens?

I'm not saying it's not good practice to clear the bat, when you can, and I am saying that good umpires learn this even if they don't go to Evans, just that it's not relevant to the play as presented.
This is the post that I tried to answer. After a PU clears a bat and a thrown ball hits the bat. 2B award at TOT. OH DEAR.
Old Tue Nov 26, 2013, 08:31am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
This is the post that I tried to answer. After a PU clears a bat and a thrown ball hits the bat. 2B award at TOT. OH DEAR.
The problem is that your example is incomplete. Someone who isn't familiiar with baseball rules (and there may be a few lurking here) will think that once the thrown ball hits the bat, it's some sort of automatic two-base award, regardless what happens next.

As others have said, you need to include the fact that the ball must subsequently go into DBT after the ball hits the bat. The ball hitting the bat, in and of itself, means nothing.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Tue Nov 26, 2013, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The OP has the ball going out of play, I do not know what Oh Dear Has to offer to the discussion ? Book rule is 2B @ TOT, I looked back at my post and see that I was not clear with that. What is the question that I should have false on ? I am sorry I have a hard time following you. Very Sorry for any confusion on my post.
Not sure why you're not getting this. Several people have answered your question.

It's this simple: You stated that if a ball hits a cleared bat, the runners get two bases. This statement is false. THAT is the question you should have false on, if it were asked on a test.

23) A thrown ball that hits a bat that has been cleared by the umpire. The umpire should award the runners 2 bases from the TOT.

Answer: False.

A ball that hits a cleared bat ... or an uncleared bat ... is not treated any differently than a ball that doesn't hit a cleared or uncleared bat. The bat is completely irrelevant.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Nov 26, 2013, 04:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
A ball that hits a cleared bat ... or an uncleared bat ... is not treated any differently than a ball that doesn't hit a cleared or uncleared bat. The bat is completely irrelevant.
This quoted statement is also false. Perhaps you meant:
A thrown ball that hits a cleared bat ... or an uncleared bat ... is not treated any differently than a thrown ball that doesn't hit a cleared or uncleared bat. The bat is completely irrelevant.
Old Tue Nov 26, 2013, 04:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Reed View Post
A thrown ball that hits a cleared bat ... or an uncleared bat ... is not treated any differently than a thrown ball that doesn't hit a cleared or uncleared bat. The bat is completely irrelevant.
Thank you, I have read and understand that my post was incomplete.
Old Wed Nov 27, 2013, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Reed View Post
If a batted ball hits a bat is usually nothing. It is only interference if the umpire judges that the batter intentionally placed the bat into the path of the ball.

It is interference if a bat hits a batted ball.

6.05(h)