The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Sep 13, 2013, 12:09pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Umpire Gone Way Wrong

No reason for this to happen. I can't begin to understand this "umpire" and his thought process.

Don't get me wrong; I don't condone what the manager did either. But it doesn't excuse the "umpire" for what he did.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...rial&hpt=hp_t2
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Fri Sep 13, 2013, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Fri Sep 13, 2013, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

hmm. I thought this had been discussed here. Maybe it was pulled, or maybe I just remember something that didn't happen (here -- maybe it was umpire.org)
Old Fri Sep 13, 2013, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
hmm. I thought this had been discussed here. Maybe it was pulled, or maybe I just remember something that didn't happen (here -- maybe it was umpire.org)
It was umpire.org, Bob

-Josh
Old Fri Sep 13, 2013, 01:26pm
Official & ***** Member

The correct response to any physical contact is to step away & dump the rat ASAP.
Old Fri Sep 13, 2013, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT1 View Post
The correct response to any physical contact is to step away & dump the rat ASAP.
The rat had already been dumped.

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Sep 13, 2013, 09:58pm
Official Forum Member

Apparently baseball umpires are treated a bit differently in the far east.

evident here and more videos here

I hear that the coach from the OP has a history of getting physical with umpires including punching at least one (3rd hand knowledge). If true, and given this "different" game, how can anyone blame BK from preventing a second assault (he didn't choke him, he only held him off by the neck). You can't judge this incident with USA baseball expectations...I'd buy him a beer.
Old Sat Sep 14, 2013, 07:59am
Official Forum Member

What is your point here Manny? Slow Forum day?

We ALL, have done things we regret later as a result of a reflex reaction to a provocation. That's called life.

There is SO many things wrong on the player, coach and umpire levels with this video yet, you only question the actions of the umpire.
Old Sat Sep 14, 2013, 11:46am
Do not give a damn!!

It would take everything in my soul not to punch this guy in his eye. That does not mean I would actually do that, but it would certainly cross my mind. I have seen other incidents over in that part of the world that were similar or worse. I know I would have reacted similarily. At some point things stop being about the uniform you wear.

Peace
Old Sat Sep 14, 2013, 12:58pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

It's easier to back off when you know you'll be backed by the organization, and law enforcement if necessary. Otherwise, you feel the need to protect yourself.
Old Sat Sep 14, 2013, 09:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
It would take everything in my soul not to punch this guy in his eye. That does not mean I would actually do that, but it would certainly cross my mind. I have seen other incidents over in that part of the world that were similar or worse. I know I would have reacted similarily. At some point things stop being about the uniform you wear.

Peace
Being Professional yet not overly confrontational is a fine line that can bend at any given game.Having said that, you always have the right to protect yourself.
Old Sat Sep 14, 2013, 10:44pm
Official Forum Member

Good article on the incident and its aftermath
Old Sun Sep 15, 2013, 06:29pm
Official Forum Member

We all have the right to defend ourselves although I do think the U's actions went beyond that. HOWEVER, this and similar incidents must be viewed from the lens of who created the situation. In this case, the shove by the manager did. I'm not saying all bets are off after that -- nor am I saying the umpire doesn't need some downtime here -- but I would view every action he took in the light most favorable to him defending himself.

I don't work baseball, but if I or another of my co-officials are shoved (or similar physical contact), I'm suspending any game shy of a HS varsity game. We're done and we will let UIL (Texas org) sort it out.
Old Wed Sep 18, 2013, 09:01pm
Official Forum Member

Agree with the suspension, he earned it.

I think he missed an opportunity to dig a little deeper though.

From 1:33-1:52, he should have told the new head coach, "that's a visit".
Old Thu Sep 19, 2013, 01:04pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jicecone View Post
There is SO many things wrong on the player, coach and umpire levels with this video yet, you only question the actions of the umpire.
Sorry, was on travel this week.

I question the umpire's actions because he must adhere to a higher standard.

This manager chest-bumped him. He didn't cock back his fist or head-butt him. And he did this after the umpire turned his back to him and vocally said, "I'm turning my back," in obvious defiance. You honestly don't have a problem with the umpire grabbing the manager by the throat in response?
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker

Last edited by Manny A; Thu Sep 19, 2013 at 01:06pm.