The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Umpire Gone Way Wrong (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/96102-umpire-gone-way-wrong.html)

Manny A Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:09pm

Umpire Gone Way Wrong

No reason for this to happen. I can't begin to understand this "umpire" and his thought process.

Don't get me wrong; I don't condone what the manager did either. But it doesn't excuse the "umpire" for what he did.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...rial&hpt=hp_t2

APG Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:48pm

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="//www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/Ar8qGXoJGw0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

bob jenkins Fri Sep 13, 2013 01:05pm

hmm. I thought this had been discussed here. Maybe it was pulled, or maybe I just remember something that didn't happen (here -- maybe it was umpire.org)

jdmara Fri Sep 13, 2013 01:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 904907)
hmm. I thought this had been discussed here. Maybe it was pulled, or maybe I just remember something that didn't happen (here -- maybe it was umpire.org)

It was umpire.org, Bob

-Josh

CT1 Fri Sep 13, 2013 01:26pm

The correct response to any physical contact is to step away & dump the rat ASAP.

MD Longhorn Fri Sep 13, 2013 01:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CT1 (Post 904909)
The correct response to any physical contact is to step away & dump the rat ASAP.

The rat had already been dumped.

bluehair Fri Sep 13, 2013 09:58pm

Apparently baseball umpires are treated a bit differently in the far east.

evident here and more videos here

I hear that the coach from the OP has a history of getting physical with umpires including punching at least one (3rd hand knowledge). If true, and given this "different" game, how can anyone blame BK from preventing a second assault (he didn't choke him, he only held him off by the neck). You can't judge this incident with USA baseball expectations...I'd buy him a beer.

jicecone Sat Sep 14, 2013 07:59am

What is your point here Manny? Slow Forum day?

We ALL, have done things we regret later as a result of a reflex reaction to a provocation. That's called life.

There is SO many things wrong on the player, coach and umpire levels with this video yet, you only question the actions of the umpire.

JRutledge Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:46am

It would take everything in my soul not to punch this guy in his eye. That does not mean I would actually do that, but it would certainly cross my mind. I have seen other incidents over in that part of the world that were similar or worse. I know I would have reacted similarily. At some point things stop being about the uniform you wear.

Peace

Adam Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:58pm

It's easier to back off when you know you'll be backed by the organization, and law enforcement if necessary. Otherwise, you feel the need to protect yourself.

jicecone Sat Sep 14, 2013 09:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 904954)
It would take everything in my soul not to punch this guy in his eye. That does not mean I would actually do that, but it would certainly cross my mind. I have seen other incidents over in that part of the world that were similar or worse. I know I would have reacted similarily. At some point things stop being about the uniform you wear.

Peace

Being Professional yet not overly confrontational is a fine line that can bend at any given game.Having said that, you always have the right to protect yourself.

Dave Reed Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:44pm

Good article on the incident and its aftermath

Texas Aggie Sun Sep 15, 2013 06:29pm

We all have the right to defend ourselves although I do think the U's actions went beyond that. HOWEVER, this and similar incidents must be viewed from the lens of who created the situation. In this case, the shove by the manager did. I'm not saying all bets are off after that -- nor am I saying the umpire doesn't need some downtime here -- but I would view every action he took in the light most favorable to him defending himself.

I don't work baseball, but if I or another of my co-officials are shoved (or similar physical contact), I'm suspending any game shy of a HS varsity game. We're done and we will let UIL (Texas org) sort it out.

soundedlikeastrike Wed Sep 18, 2013 09:01pm

Agree with the suspension, he earned it.

I think he missed an opportunity to dig a little deeper though.

From 1:33-1:52, he should have told the new head coach, "that's a visit".

Manny A Thu Sep 19, 2013 01:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jicecone (Post 904945)
There is SO many things wrong on the player, coach and umpire levels with this video yet, you only question the actions of the umpire.

Sorry, was on travel this week.

I question the umpire's actions because he must adhere to a higher standard.

This manager chest-bumped him. He didn't cock back his fist or head-butt him. And he did this after the umpire turned his back to him and vocally said, "I'm turning my back," in obvious defiance. You honestly don't have a problem with the umpire grabbing the manager by the throat in response?