Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jun 14, 2013, 10:44am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56 View Post
I believe that had he mentioned this wasn't his first rodeo there would have been a large outcry from rookie cowboys proclaiming how offensive his comments were.......

Tim.
And the veteran cowboys would have told the rookies to shut up and appreciate the extra publicity.
Old Fri Jun 14, 2013, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

My issue with the umpire (very small compared to my issue with the coach / team / org) is that he spoke to the press at all. I could care less that he compared his job to one he thought was easy but probably had no context to make that comparison... he was not saying that to insult janitors. The fact that he was talking at all is my problem here.

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Jun 14, 2013, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

Okay, here's reality.
  • The umpire did his job
  • The State allowed the school to bend the rules
  • The coach gets his way
We can bitch all we want and pi$$ and moan until the cows come home. The end result is the politics of HS baseball wins. Personally, I couldn't care less. The player got ejected and as far as I am concerned, that is all we as umpires have control over. Who (umpires) really gives a crap if he plays the next game or not? We do our jobs, leave the field, write our reports and the rest is left to the gods above us. So what if the kid didn't serve the sentence that he should have? Does that affect the crew doing the game that the kid should be sitting? No! Keep your eye on the little bastard and dump him on the first sound. Heh, heh, heh!
Old Fri Jun 14, 2013, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
When I was younger, I used to get all stressed about the 'politics' of what we do. As I have grown older (didn't say matured) I have learned to not let what happens outside of the lines get to me. My job is to work the game, not the back room.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Fri Jun 14, 2013, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

Not our problem

Oz and Patrino hit the nail on the head.

Our job is between the lines (execute and report) and while I can understand the "hypocracy", we should not concern ourselves with the punishment handed out afterwards - that's really none of our business.

The ONLY time I concern myself with the "punishment" is if the EJ was for contact with an official... and that's because I want to ensure the league is backing me up
Old Fri Jun 14, 2013, 01:41pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by UES View Post
Oz and Patrino hit the nail on the head.

Our job is between the lines (execute and report) and while I can understand the "hypocracy", we should not concern ourselves with the punishment handed out afterwards - that's really none of our business.

The ONLY time I concern myself with the "punishment" is if the EJ was for contact with an official... and that's because I want to ensure the league is backing me up
On the other hand, if the organization claims they want a crack down on unsporting behavior and then allows the work-around this coach managed to accomplish, they've basically told the umpires they really didn't mean it.

Swearing at the umpire is as unsporting as it gets in a high school game.
Old Fri Jun 14, 2013, 04:42pm
Administrator

Time for me to jump in here.

Straight from the 2013 OhioHSAA Baseball Manual:

Game Limitations (Grades 9-12)
Maximum number of games permitted: 27 on a maximum of 27 playing dates (new for 2013!)
Scrimmages/Previews: Maximum of 4 scrimmages OR 3 scrimmages and 1 Preview
Scrimmage Note: Scrimmages MAY be held at any time during the season but MUST count as the same for both competing teams. In other words, Team A cannot count it as a ‘scrimmage’ while Team B counts the competition as a ‘game’.

Game Limitations (Grades 7-8)
Maximum number of games permitted: 17 and 1 Post-Season tournament not to exceed 4 games.
Scrimmages: Maximum of 2 scrimmages
Scrimmage Note: Scrimmages MAY be held at any time during the season but MUST count as the same for both competing teams. In other words, Team A cannot count it as a ‘scrimmage’ while Team B counts the competition as a ‘game’.

End of Season Date
Teams may schedule games right up until the board adopted “Season Ends” date of June 15, 2012. This means that even though you are in tournament or eliminated from tournament, you may still schedule (usually ‘make up) a contest up until this date. Keep in mind that playing this late also eliminates any opportunity for a player to play non-interscholastic baseball until the school season is
complete. (see below)

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Fri Jun 14, 2013, 08:39pm
Official Forum Member

Sometime we forget that it is all about the kids. Sometime kids screw up, well, most of the time, as I'm sure we all did, and you learn from your mistakes!

We have to make sure the punishment fits the crime. I'm glad the kid got a chance to experience all he could have during his high school season. That's why I am in favor of restricting players versus ejecting them.

But get rid of the rats!
Old Fri Jun 14, 2013, 09:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56 View Post
I don't believe for a second that his comments were degrading to any janitors. This new wave PC bull$it sickens me.

Tim.
As one of those "schlepps pushing a broom", yeah he was being insulting.

I'm smart enough to get the work that allows me to umpire.

Rita
Old Fri Jun 14, 2013, 10:28pm
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita C View Post
As one of those "schlepps pushing a broom", yeah he was being insulting.

I'm smart enough to get the work that allows me to umpire.

Rita
Rita, Rita, Rita. He didn't say people who push a broom are schlepps. He said he isn't some schlepp that happens to push a broom. He could have said he wasn't some schlepp working in a lab, but he said pushing a broom, which if we are all being honest here, doesn't take much brain power. Toughen up that skin a little.
Old Sat Jun 15, 2013, 01:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by w_sohl View Post
Rita, Rita, Rita. He didn't say people who push a broom are schlepps. He said he isn't some schlepp that happens to push a broom. He could have said he wasn't some schlepp working in a lab, but he said pushing a broom, which if we are all being honest here, doesn't take much brain power. Toughen up that skin a little.
Bill, Bill, Bill, Janitorial work is more than people think it is.

We should never demean anyone doing an honest day's work.

When's the last time you paid attention to the person doing the janitorial work, even to say thank you?

That would give you some idea of where you place them.

Rita
Old Sat Jun 15, 2013, 01:34am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpferee View Post
Sometime we forget that it is all about the kids. Sometime kids screw up, well, most of the time, as I'm sure we all did, and you learn from your mistakes!

We have to make sure the punishment fits the crime. I'm glad the kid got a chance to experience all he could have during his high school season. That's why I am in favor of restricting players versus ejecting them.

But get rid of the rats!
It's all about the kids, sure. And this kid should've served his suspension and leaned a life lesson. Instead he won't understand that what he did was wrong.

I'm just glad in my state that wouldn't have happened.
Old Sat Jun 15, 2013, 01:56am
Do not give a damn!!

My state has suspended coaches for doing what this team and school did in other sports. In baseball not sure if that would work very well considering games are moved all the time. But this kid should have served a punishment and the state should be ashamed of themselves for not taking action.

And yes I would care if a kid got ejected did not serve the suspension properly. It would not have kept me up at night, but I would not have been happy. And if I had heard about that, that kid would be on a short leash the next game.

Peace
Old Sat Jun 15, 2013, 05:33am
Official & ***** Member

Thankfully, our state doesn't allow such bullcrap. In order for a player to be suspended, it must be his second EJ of the season. And, once playoffs begin, no more regular season games may be played.

However, I can understand where "cold-weather" states may need to have different scheduling policies.
Old Sat Jun 15, 2013, 07:42am
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita C View Post
Bill, Bill, Bill, Janitorial work is more than people think it is.

We should never demean anyone doing an honest day's work.

When's the last time you paid attention to the person doing the janitorial work, even to say thank you?

That would give you some idea of where you place them.

Rita

I worked at an elementary school this past year and the year before. I know that our custodial staff works their butts off and I thanked them every day by name.