The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jun 07, 2013, 02:09pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMP25 View Post
BTW, the size of those Bic red pens I use is perfect--they're not too thick, but more importantly, they're not too long, so they just barely stick out of my shirt pocket.
My association UIC once asked me, "Manny, do you know why umpire shirts have pockets? It's so you know where to iron your Virginia High School League patch."

Seriously, I don't like putting anything in that pocket. I'd much rather keep my red and blue (on the off-chance that a coach hands me a line-up card in red ink) pens in my ball bag with my lineup card holder. And since the holder is too big for my shirt pocket to begin with, everything is in one place in the bag.

Also, I wouldn't want to have to deal with a huge ink splotch if I should get hit in the chest with a pitch or foul ball.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Fri Jun 07, 2013, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

That's why I use that type of pen. It's kind of a flexible, rubber like material, so when I did take a ball right to it, it didn't smash and spew ink all over.

I used to put my lineup cards in my ball bags--too cluttery. I tried my back pocket--too much of a pain in the ass taking them out and reinserting them. For the last several years, they've been fine in my shirt pocket. To each his own, of course, as this is simply my own preference.
Old Fri Jun 07, 2013, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

I wear double ball bags and I keep my lineups cards in the left bag in the inside pocket toward the back. I agree with Manny A, I always afraid to put anything breakable in my shirt pocket. I too use red as it is easier to see any changes that I have made.
Old Fri Jun 07, 2013, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

I don't know how it's in other parts of the country, but some coaches have discovered printers and are handing me lineups on big honking pieces of index card stock. Try folding those up and putting it in your lineup card holder.
Old Fri Jun 07, 2013, 03:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nopachunts View Post
I don't know how it's in other parts of the country, but some coaches have discovered printers and are handing me lineups on big honking pieces of index card stock. Try folding those up and putting it in your lineup card holder.
There is a HS coach around here who hands you an 8½ x 11 sheet of scrap paper (there is irrelevant printing on one side). He claims he is saving the environment by recycling [sic] paper. At least his lineup (and subs) are machine printed in huge type.

Whenever he has a change, it becomes an exercise in unfolding/folding so the right quadrant fits over the lineup card wallet (the small one) so I have something to write on.

I just take my sweet-ass time. If I hear any grumbling, I show them the page and apologize for forgetting to bring my loose-leaf binder.

Last edited by dash_riprock; Fri Jun 07, 2013 at 03:27pm.
Old Fri Jun 07, 2013, 05:58pm
Is this a legal title?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT1 View Post
I'm frugal (my wife says "cheap").

I go to my local bank, ask for a (free) blue checkbook cover, then cut it down to fit in my front shirt pocket. I insert one piece of thin cardboard on each side for writing support & I'm ready to go.

Most checkbook covers have clear plastic on each side, which prevents moisture from getting the lineup "cards" soggy on hot or rainy days.
What's a checkbook?
Old Fri Jun 07, 2013, 07:59pm
Official Forum Member

I use black or blue ink pens, any old cheap pen that will write and has a metal pocket clip. It is in my left ball bag with the notebook, brush and couple baseballs until I need it the first time and then it goes in the shirt pocket with the lineups. Unless, the lineups were too large, then they are folded up and put in back left pants pocket.
Old Fri Jun 07, 2013, 10:10pm
Official Forum Member

Red pen. Right ball bag. Doesn't matter as long as you get it done accurately and timely.
Old Sat Jun 08, 2013, 01:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Red pen. Right ball bag. Doesn't matter as long as you get it done accurately and timely.
What about blue pen left ball bag, Bob? Or black pen, blue ball bag, right ball bag? Or blue pen gray ball bag, left ball bag?

I'm confused.
Old Sat Jun 08, 2013, 03:21am
In Time Out

I got in the habit of just writing down my lineup changes down between innings unless I had to make multiple sub changes. Just folded them up in my little Honig's plastic lineup holder. Got to where I learned to carry an extra writing utensil.

BTW-I would also take projected subs if it was a time limit game, and the coach was trying to get everyone playing time. This was mostly at the sub varsity level.

Often time the BU kept the courtesy runner subs. It made it easier for us a team.

Take your best shots.
Old Sun Jun 09, 2013, 07:07am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Tyler View Post
I got in the habit of just writing down my lineup changes down between innings unless I had to make multiple sub changes. Just folded them up in my little Honig's plastic lineup holder. Got to where I learned to carry an extra writing utensil.

BTW-I would also take projected subs if it was a time limit game, and the coach was trying to get everyone playing time. This was mostly at the sub varsity level.

Often time the BU kept the courtesy runner subs. It made it easier for us a team.

Take your best shots.
I don't know where to start...
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Mon Jun 10, 2013, 08:42am
Official Forum Member

I use a lineup holder from Officially Sports that is hard on both sides. It flips open from the bottom instead of like a book. I write with a red Sharpie Mini. It fits easily in my pocket and it's easy to see the writing. It all goes in my shirt pocket.

As long as it works for you, do it. Doesn't really matter how you handle stuff like this.
Old Mon Jun 10, 2013, 11:41am

I use the KIP, as well. I also wear two ball bags. I have one KIP in each bag. The bag on my left hip is for the team occupying the 3rd base dugout and the one on my right is for the team in the 1st base dugout. I switched to this system several years ago and has vastly sped up my substitution process. No more fumbling with several sheets of paper and making sure I don't mark up the wrong lineup card.
Old Mon Jun 10, 2013, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

Lineup cards in a pocket in my ball bag. I like writing directly on the cards. I always have a fine point sharpy in the bag. They always seem to write. It seemed that dirt used to mess up regular pens.
Old Mon Jun 10, 2013, 01:57pm
TODO: creative title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioBlue View Post
The bag on my left hip is for the team occupying the 3rd base dugout and the one on my right is for the team in the 1st base dugout. I switched to this system several years ago and has vastly sped up my substitution process. No more fumbling with several sheets of paper and making sure I don't mark up the wrong lineup card.
That's a good idea...I'll have to try that.

At the moment, I wear two ball bags, although I find that I rarely actually have any balls in the left-side bag.