The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 05, 2013, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

Handling Lineup Cards

I've been umpiring a long time, but have never found a way to handle my lineup cards that I'm comfortable with. I usually end up stuffing them in my pockets and when I need to make a change, it's frustrating to write on them and I feel like I'm causing a human rain delay whenever I'm making a change. I've seen different types of card holders, and am wondering if you have used these with success, and if you keep them in your shirt pocket or a ball bag. I'd appreciate any advice on this.

Thanks.
Old Wed Jun 05, 2013, 02:08pm
Official Forum Member

Honigs

I use Honigs KIP. It comes with an eraseable white card that helps with visits and lineup changes. I put the lineup card holder in my back pocket and a bullet pencil and white card in my shirt pocket for quick entries.
Most umpire supply stores carry similar items but these work best for me.

KIP - BASEBALL - INFO PACKAGE

Fits in shirt pocket or ball bag

$7.95

KIX - LINEUP CARD HOLDER

Keep the team lineup cards on this convenient mini-folder
Old Wed Jun 05, 2013, 05:30pm
Official & ***** Member

I'm frugal (my wife says "cheap").

I go to my local bank, ask for a (free) blue checkbook cover, then cut it down to fit in my front shirt pocket. I insert one piece of thin cardboard on each side for writing support & I'm ready to go.

Most checkbook covers have clear plastic on each side, which prevents moisture from getting the lineup "cards" soggy on hot or rainy days.
Old Wed Jun 05, 2013, 07:57pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
For the longest time, maybe 10 years or so, I used a line up card holder made by a friend (thanks Russ). That finally fell apart this year, so I bought a holder from Gerry Davis. It works just fine, and fits in my shirt or jacket pocket along with a pen, usually a sharpie.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Wed Jun 05, 2013, 08:48pm
Get away from me, Steve.

I just put the cards in my pocket. If it's really hot or wet, I put them in the pocket in my ball bags.

I've tried lineup card holders -- they're not for me.
Old Wed Jun 05, 2013, 10:19pm
Official Forum Member

I use the Honigs notebook, but with a custom made sheet I came up with to keep changes on. When I get the lineups they go into top shirt pocket, notebook is in left ball bag. All notes are made on the custom sheet.
Old Wed Jun 05, 2013, 10:38pm
Official Forum Member

is the sheet a word doc?

I would be interested in checking it out
Old Thu Jun 06, 2013, 01:09pm
Stirrer of the Pot

I umpire a lot of softball, so I use the ASA lineup card holder, even when I umpire baseball.

Each side has a clear plastic sleeve that extends halfway across the side in order to tuck the lineup cards into. But I've found that to be more of a pain than it's worth because when I slide the card out to make a change, sometimes I have problems trying to slide it back in.

So I just use two small metal binder clips

one on each side, to hold the cards down. And I keep the holder in my ball bag so that I don't have to worry about them getting wet from my sweat on those hot days. I've never had any issues.

Of course, the vast majority of the baseball that I do are in organizations that don't ask umpires to keep cards. In the off chance I do, one of my ASA holders has the logo covered so I don't get some coach think, "Aww, geez, he's a softball umpire..."
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Thu Jun 06, 2013, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

I do the same thing that Manny A does with the Honig's pocketbook and two small bulldog clips. The visitors lineup is clipped on the left side and the home on the right side. I fold it in half horizontally and then half vertically. I can keep track of visits, CR, , new batter if third out happened on bases without batter completing AB, etc. on the back. When either manager comes to make changes, the line ups are folded so that when the lineup card is unfolded, I have the pocketbook to provide a hard surface to write on.

In a game that I don't get lineups, I use an Excel spreadsheet to keep track of everything. This system works good for me.
Old Thu Jun 06, 2013, 03:11pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
I wonder if anyone uses the official ASA jock strap?

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Thu Jun 06, 2013, 04:34pm
Official Forum Member

I've seen some good ideas here, and I'm going to try a couple of them. To Rich, you've made me now feel better since I'm not the only one stuffing cards into their pockets !!
Old Thu Jun 06, 2013, 06:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I just put the cards in my pocket. If it's really hot or wet, I put them in the pocket in my ball bags.

I've tried lineup card holders -- they're not for me.
yep same here

Thanks
David
Old Thu Jun 06, 2013, 07:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPatrino View Post
I wonder if anyone uses the official ASA jock strap?
Love it.
Old Fri Jun 07, 2013, 07:29am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by rita c View Post
love it.
rotflmao!!
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Fri Jun 07, 2013, 01:23pm
Official Forum Member

OK, so here's a question while we're on this topic--what type of writing instrument do you use with your lineup cards? I used to use a golf pencil, then one of those itty bitty bullet pencils, but after taking the suggestion/tip of one of my colleagues, I went to Staples and purchased a box of Bic red pens, the ones that are all red, solid plastic (not the see through or transparent or thick ones). I use this specific one.

Why red? Well, it makes it easier to see the changes, and because the lineup cards I get in the plate meeting have themselves been written in pencil, blue ink, black ink, green ink, etc., but rarely in red ink. Therefore, my using a red pen has helped me notice things more easily. Plus, the type of pen I use, even if hit by a pitch or foul ball (I keep the Honig's little thingie in my shirt pocket), doesn't spill or leak ink if hit by the ball, which has happened once to me.

BTW, the size of those Bic red pens I use is perfect--they're not too thick, but more importantly, they're not too long, so they just barely stick out of my shirt pocket.

This is all just my preference, but I've found it to be my best scenario out of the many I've tried over my long career.