The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 24, 2013, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT1 View Post
Good Grief.

You not only don't call it in the 7th inning, you don't call it at all. Make F3 get right, or get a new F3.
If your state uses FED F3 only has to have one foot touching fair territory at TOP.

Last edited by umpjim; Fri May 24, 2013 at 11:43am.
Old Fri May 24, 2013, 11:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpjim View Post
If your state uses FED F3 only has to have one foot touching fair territory at TOP.
Correct and he told the coaches that - we went to game two in the series and U3 balked us in another run and even our coach told me he don't know what the guy did - U3 said he flinched. Then PU called out one of their runners on appeal at 3B on a long fly ball to left field - where i was sitting I had a perfect view and was watching the play and no way he left early - these were young umpires though and as others have mentioned, sometimes the pressure gets to them.

We did lose that game, but getting two runs from "blue" was kind of nice.

Thanks
David
Old Sat May 25, 2013, 04:13pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Tyler View Post
Are you asking because you don't know?
Since I'm not much of a seer, of course I don't know who else here would have balked him, Wayne. I'm hoping most of the members here would have. Do you have an opinion worth sharing? About the call or non-call of the balk...............

Tim.
Old Wed May 29, 2013, 12:09pm
In Time Out

Missed the FPSR and called a non-existent balk.

Impressive.
Old Thu May 30, 2013, 10:37am
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56 View Post
Since I'm not much of a seer, of course I don't know who else here would have balked him, Wayne. I'm hoping most of the members here would have. Do you have an opinion worth sharing? About the call or non-call of the balk...............

Tim.
I wouldn't have balked it............stop looked complete, and discernible to me..............not sure of the who the "you" was you were referring to. Maybe small ball guys would have called it........but not a competent high school playoff umpire.
Old Thu May 30, 2013, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I wouldn't have balked it............stop looked complete, and discernible to me..............not sure of the who the "you" was you were referring to. Maybe small ball guys would have called it........but not a competent high school playoff umpire.
I disagree. I think all competent umpires would have called a balk as soon as he set with his hands in front of his body and then broke them apart. If you'll read my question it was about a situation prior to the balk that ended up being called. Please keep up.............

Tim.
Old Thu May 30, 2013, 12:59pm
Do not give a damn!!

Don't we all have different levels of judgment? That is the case in other sports, so why are we surprised in baseball? Some guys are going to call balks more than others. I do not think that is necessarily a bad thing. I would have rather talked a player out of a "technical balk" but would eventually call something that was obvious to me.

Peace
Old Thu May 30, 2013, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Don't we all have different levels of judgment? That is the case in other sports, so why are we surprised in baseball? Some guys are going to call balks more than others. I do not think that is necessarily a bad thing. I would have rather talked a player out of a "technical balk" but would eventually call something that was obvious to me.

Peace
I agree, Jeff. Then again, there are balks and then there are elephant balks that aren't discretionary. I would put the one I'm talking about in the latter category, which is why I'm surprised they missed it.

Tim.
Old Mon Jun 03, 2013, 03:12pm
In Time Out

Quote:
I disagree. I think all competent umpires would have called a balk as soon as he set with his hands in front of his body and then broke them apart. If you'll read my question it was about a situation prior to the balk that ended up being called. Please keep up.............

Tim.
Oh..........I suppose you're talking about when the batter hadn't entered the box yet. Yep, that's a balk all competent umpires call. Maybe this website is too advanced for you.

Last edited by Steven Tyler; Mon Jun 03, 2013 at 03:16pm.
Old Tue Jun 04, 2013, 08:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Oh..........I suppose you're talking about when the batter hadn't entered the box yet. Yep, that's a balk all competent umpires call. Maybe this website is too advanced for you.
I thought I was specific enough about the time frame in which the balk occurred. The batter is in the box, the ball is in play, F1 is on the rubber with his hands together in front of his body, and then he breaks them before stepping off. Maybe you should take a look at it again (52:37), and give an opinion on the play I'm talking about. The small ball comment, and remark about this site being too advanced for me are really not germane to the issue.

Tim.

Last edited by BigUmp56; Tue Jun 04, 2013 at 09:29am.
Old Wed Jun 05, 2013, 02:03am
In Time Out

Quote:
I thought I was specific enough about the time frame in which the balk occurred. The batter is in the box, the ball is in play, F1 is on the rubber with his hands together in front of his body, and then he breaks them before stepping off. Maybe you should take a look at it again (52:37), and give an opinion on the play I'm talking about. The small ball comment, and remark about this site being too advanced for me are really not germane to the issue.

Tim.
I saw it the first time around.......looked like play had been stopped for a second or two judging from the catcher and HPU. Eagle Pass lost in the region finals if anyone cares.

Last edited by Steven Tyler; Wed Jun 05, 2013 at 04:19am.
Old Sat Jun 08, 2013, 04:02am
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by nopachunts View Post
Check out Hughes Springs. They have a stud pitcher. They opt for a one gamer as much a possible.
That can happen in baseball or softball...........anyhow the state semis and finals are just a one and done. I remember when I played football only one team made the playoffs from a district. A lot of 9-1 teams stayed home.
Old Mon Jun 10, 2013, 09:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That can happen in baseball or softball...........anyhow the state semis and finals are just a one and done. I remember when I played football only one team made the playoffs from a district. A lot of 9-1 teams stayed home.
I know and they are talking about taking the top four now.
Old Mon Jun 10, 2013, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

They have been taking 4 for a while in both the 5A and 4A classifications.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Jun 10, 2013, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
They have been taking 4 for a while in both the 5A and 4A classifications.
Isn't the UIL planning on expanding the top four to 3A and 2A next year. I may be wrong on this one. When does the new 6A classification start?