The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 22, 2013, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawump View Post
It is as screwed up as it sounded in the newspaper story.

"I want a 9-game series, like the MLB World Series in the 1910's!!!"
The options are 3-game or 1. Generally, the preference is for 3, but some poorer or smaller town schools can't afford to take a team and stay somewhere for 2 nights, so they just want to play 1. Occasionally, you'll have a school with 1 superstar pitcher and nothing else - and they want to play 1... and occasionally they'll be up against a school that feels the same way.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed May 22, 2013, 04:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It is as screwed up as it sounded in the newspaper story.

"I want a 9-game series, like the MLB World Series in the 1910's!!!"
Under Texas UIL playoff guidelines, a winner has to be decided by midnight of the Saturday following the previous round. I think that they can't play more than two games in one day.

Last year, I was on a neutral crew that was going to do a Friday night game, with the second and "if" game on Saturday. Friday night was rained out, so it became a one-game Saturday series. If the Saturday game had been rained out, a team would have advanced based on a coin flip.

Texas spring weather plays havoc with three game series because of thunderstroms, lightening, etc. Last Saturday it was in the 80s, two Saturdays ago, the temperature was in the upper 40s with a 15 mph north wind.
Old Wed May 22, 2013, 04:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
The options are 3-game or 1. Generally, the preference is for 3, but some poorer or smaller town schools can't afford to take a team and stay somewhere for 2 nights, so they just want to play 1. Occasionally, you'll have a school with 1 superstar pitcher and nothing else - and they want to play 1... and occasionally they'll be up against a school that feels the same way.
Check out Hughes Springs. They have a stud pitcher. They opt for a one gamer as much a possible.
Old Wed May 22, 2013, 04:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nopachunts View Post
Under Texas UIL playoff guidelines, a winner has to be decided by midnight of the Saturday following the previous round. I think that they can't play more than two games in one day.

Last year, I was on a neutral crew that was going to do a Friday night game, with the second and "if" game on Saturday. Friday night was rained out, so it became a one-game Saturday series. If the Saturday game had been rained out, a team would have advanced based on a coin flip.

Texas spring weather plays havoc with three game series because of thunderstroms, lightening, etc. Last Saturday it was in the 80s, two Saturdays ago, the temperature was in the upper 40s with a 15 mph north wind.
I truly believe in the saying, "just because its different doesn't mean its wrong."

But...deciding a playoff "series" on a coin flip is wrong.

I mean, the weather played havoc with our state's Class AAA state playoffs, but our state league just kept rescheduling the games until they could be played...and they eventually were.
Old Wed May 22, 2013, 04:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMP45 View Post
Looked like the pitcher did not not come to a complete and discernible stop.
I don't have a no-stop balk. Can't really tell if anything else is going on.
Old Wed May 22, 2013, 04:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I truly believe in the saying, "just because its different doesn't mean its wrong."

But...deciding a playoff "series" on a coin flip is wrong.

I mean, the weather played havoc with our state's Class AAA state playoffs, but our state league just kept rescheduling the games until they could be played...and they eventually were.
We played 5 innings in one Texas town and drove 25 miles to finish the game in another town that did not get hit by the thunderstorm.
Old Wed May 22, 2013, 04:49pm
Official & ***** Member

Quote:
I understand school finances, but if they get weathered out in a 1-game playoff, they have to stay anyway.

The "one stud pitcher" rationale is why our state has morphed it's way to
3-game series for all rounds. There were too many teams with better all-around pitching getting beat by the stud in the early rounds. Then when the stud's team got to the 3-game semis, they were getting drilled in games 2 & 3.
Old Wed May 22, 2013, 04:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
thunderstroms
Any relation to Earl?
Quote:
, lightening
As opposed to darkening?

(Sorry, couldn't resist 2 right there in a row)

West Houston Mike
Old Wed May 22, 2013, 06:46pm
Official Forum Member

Dash I have him doing a "stop and go".
Old Wed May 22, 2013, 09:05pm
Official Forum Member

Not a good video but I don't have a balk. PU is in a real good spot to see a no stop balk, and he did not call one that I can tell.
Old Thu May 23, 2013, 08:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I am in East Texas and speak only for how my chapter assigns crews for playoffs.

If a team thinks they may be eligible for playoffs, the HC sends a list of requested umpires to the chapter president listing umpires they want to call their playoff games/series. If an umpire is playoff qualified and available, the chapter tries to assign an umpire that was requested. If the requested umpire is not available, our assigner calls the coach, and gives him a list of the available umpires to choose from. In all cases, the chapter board approves all playoff assignments. My chapter has a good reputation and we send several crews each year for neutral games/series.

Each school's coach will call each other before the playoff series begins to discuss the number of games in a series, site(s), and home/visitor. If they can't agree, the coaches use a system to flip for the choice of series length, site, and home/visitor. Most of the time, each school will bring a two-man crew unless a choice/flip was made for a crew from a neutral chapter. There are times when the coaches will not want to use the chapter that normally calls their games and will agree for a neutral crew from a particular chapter.

If the coaches can’t agree on the umpires/chapter, a request is made to the UIL. Then the UIL calls for a crew to be sent to a series, the coaches involved in the series don't get a choice as to what umpires are sent. The chapter board assigns the umpires for the series.

I already know that I have the plate for a Regional Semi-Final tomorrow night using a split crew. The flips have already been done and the other school’s crew will have the plate for the second game and third if necessary.

I’m a long way from San Antonio but it sounds like the coaches agreed to use a neutral chapter and the school that was to call UIL went directly to the San Antonio chapter. JMO on this.
So they are still doing it the way we did back in 80's. It doesn't sound always good, but I have to admit "it worked very well". At the time I was a "up and coming" umpire, but we always had some great crews who worked our series when I was there. Our association had a "short list" of about 10-12 umpires who were chosen to work playoffs each year based on evaluations etc., and we regularly did neutral playoff games for other associations.

In my current state, there is no system "good ole boy network" and we regularly see umpires who call playoff games that are not qualified for that level of games.

And the best part of playoffs in TX was that you make part of the gate - it was not unusual to call a game and make upwards of $350 for one game plus mileage. And that was 20 years ago.

Thanks
David
Old Thu May 23, 2013, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Any relation to Earl?
No relation to Earl. Went to Junior High with him. He, his brothers, and his mother are GREAT people. He also makes some pretty good hot links. If you watched the Heisman ceremony, he couldn't go up on stage. He can barely walk.

On the weather issue, I don't know who the teams were but last week they started a playoff game in Waco, and in the bottom of the first inning the weather caused the game to be suspended without a chance to be finished on Friday night. They drove to Arlington to finish the game. Otherwise the series would have been a one-game series completed on Saturday. I hope the crews turned in a new pay sheet for mileage.
Old Thu May 23, 2013, 10:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
As opposed to darkening?

(Sorry, couldn't resist 2 right there in a row)
Come on dude, in East Texas we do good to speak it , much less spell it. LOL
Old Thu May 23, 2013, 10:33am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpjim View Post
I don't think the Texas method has been adaquately explained. But how do you do it?
If you mean how does my state assign the playoffs, it is done by the IHSA Sports Administrator. Every single assignments. We do have a rating system, but it has a small input from coaches and it only used with other information to decide who is going to work games. Coaches have no say in where someone goes or when they work their games in the post season.

Peace
Old Thu May 23, 2013, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
No relation to Earl. Went to Junior High with him. He, his brothers, and his mother are GREAT people. He also makes some pretty good hot links. If you watched the Heisman ceremony, he couldn't go up on stage. He can barely walk.

On the weather issue, I don't know who the teams were but last week they started a playoff game in Waco, and in the bottom of the first inning the weather caused the game to be suspended without a chance to be finished on Friday night. They drove to Arlington to finish the game. Otherwise the series would have been a one-game series completed on Saturday. I hope the crews turned in a new pay sheet for mileage.
You went to junior high with Earl Strom? WOw.

West Houston Mike