The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 10, 2013, 05:51am
Stirrer of the Pot

Two Pitching Changes Spark Protest

So, what happened in Houston last night, where Astros Manager Bo Porter apparently removed a reliever who hadn't faced a batter for another reliever? Mike Scioscia ended up protesting the game.

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=26989413

My guess is perhaps the wrong pitcher came out of the pen? But that cannot be corrected once he's announced and starts warming up, correct?
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker

Last edited by Manny A; Fri May 10, 2013 at 05:55am.
Old Fri May 10, 2013, 07:08am
M.A.S.H.

Not sure if this is the way it happened... but in the story I just read Houston skipper said he made a pitching change then the Angels pinch-hit.
Old Fri May 10, 2013, 07:30am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1 View Post
Not sure if this is the way it happened... but in the story I just read Houston skipper said he made a pitching change then the Angels pinch-hit.
I just read that, too. I think Porter felt that if he brings in a reliever to pitch to a batter that was previously in the line-up, and then the opposing team announces a pinch hitter, he can make another pitching change.

Ummm, wrong! And I can't believe four MLUs fell for that.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Fri May 10, 2013, 07:52am
Official Forum Member

I believe that rule applies to the starter and the relief pitchers, after the ball has been made live and a pitch has been thrown. Not totally sure however, it is also not totally clear either. 3.05 a,b,c
Old Fri May 10, 2013, 08:39am
Official Forum Member

I wish the Astros had won so the protest would have played out. I think the rules are clear in OBR that an announced pitcher must pitch to a batter unless injured.

West Houston Mike
Old Fri May 10, 2013, 08:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
I wish the Astros had won so the protest would have played out. I think the rules are clear in OBR that an announced pitcher must pitch to a batter unless injured.
But was he announced? Was he in the line-up? The only possible explanation I have is that the umpires didn't consider the lefty in the line-up.
Old Fri May 10, 2013, 09:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
For the starter on the lineup card, yes. For substitues, I don't believe that it is clear as you say. The substitute officially becomes the new pitcher after he has thrown a pitch. Not necessarily when he takes his place at the mound.

OBR 3.05-a, b, c. The penalty is not clear and it seems as though it results in the substitute being substitued for, being ejected. The new pitcher is then the one the coach wants inthere anyway.

I am not saying I am right but, I am saying it is not as clear as it seems.
Old Fri May 10, 2013, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jicecone View Post
The substitute officially becomes the new pitcher after he has thrown a pitch. Not necessarily when he takes his place at the mound.
Seems clear to me:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Roolz
(a) If no announcement of a substitution is made, the substitute shall be considered as having entered the game when—

(1) If a pitcher, he takes his place on the pitcher’s plate;
I don't see any ejection authorized either; looks like it's a "fix it":
Quote:

c) If an improper substitution is made for the pitcher, the umpire shall direct the proper pitcher to return to the game until the provisions of this rule are fulfilled. If the improper pitcher is permitted to pitch, any play that results is legal. The improper pitcher becomes the proper pitcher as soon as he makes his first pitch to the batter, or as soon as any runner is put out.

Rule 3.05(c) Comment: If a manager attempts to remove a pitcher in violation of Rule 3.05 (c) the umpire shall notify the manager of the offending club that it cannot be done. If, by chance, the umpire-in-chief has, through oversight, announced the incoming improper pitcher, he should still correct the situation before the improper pitcher pitches. Once the improper pitcher delivers a pitch he becomes the proper pitcher.

Last edited by pob14; Fri May 10, 2013 at 09:39am.
Old Fri May 10, 2013, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

3.05C is referring to a substitution of a pitcher that is in the game and has not fulfilled the pitching to a batter rule. This not about substituting for a pitcher that is not yet ofiicially in the game. Which is what happened and is the subject of discussion.

Was the lefty warming up considered officially in the game because he was warming up or announced/indicated as the next pitcher? That is the question here.
Old Fri May 10, 2013, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Was the lefty warming up considered officially in the game because he was warming up or announced/indicated as the next pitcher? That is the question here.
That's what I thought 3.08(a)(1) answered. You know a lot more about this than I do, jicecone, so I'm sure I'm wrong; what am I missing here?
Old Fri May 10, 2013, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

Actually I still have some research to do myself. And thats is why I say it is not as clear as it reads.
Old Fri May 10, 2013, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

The rule you referenced is for an unannounced sub. You don't need that rule for a sub that IS announced.

For those wondering whether he was announced or not, check the box score. He is in there (Wright). He would not have been allowed to pitch later. It's very clear he was announced and substituted for before throwing any pitches (the box even shows him with a 0 pitch count).

West Houston Mike
Old Fri May 10, 2013, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

Then the rules state that "once the improper pitcher delivers a pitch he becomes the proper pitcher".

It sounds like the umpire is supposed to prevent this however, there is no penalty, and if the coach wants to substitute a new picther , then he becomes legal after the first pitch.

Yes I agree that Wright was not eligibie to return to the game.
Old Fri May 10, 2013, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Then the rules state that "once the improper pitcher delivers a pitch he becomes the proper pitcher".
This may apply for when the game isn't protested or the protest becomes moot, but this is no defense for the protest.

Last edited by bluehair; Fri May 10, 2013 at 11:32am.
Old Fri May 10, 2013, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
All that's saying is that if you don't catch it, and they start pitching, they are no longer improper.

There's no mechanism in the rules to legally and knowingly allow what happened to happen, other than injury - which didn't happen.

West Houston Mike