The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Apr 27, 2013, 06:17pm
Official Forum Member

Helping Out a Young Partner

I was working with a very young partner this past week in a FED high school game. I always try to do my best to mentor without making myself sound superior. There was a situation in the game where my parnter who was the BU called a runner out at first on a pickoff that looked like he was safe from my view. The only tag I saw was on the runner's legs well after his hand was on the bag. The defensive coach calmly requested time and walked from the third base coaching box and talked to my parnter about the call. At one point, I could see my partner point either toward the coach or the third base coaching box. At this point, the coach was visibly more upset as he returned to his position. After the inning the coach stopped by and told me that he appreciated my professionalism throughout the game.

After the game we were getting dressed for the JV game and I asked my partner what happened on the play and in the conversation with the coach. He said that he saw the tag on the legs and called the out. He then proceeded describe the conversation like this:

Coach: What did you see on that play?
BU: I saw him get out so he is out.
Coach: Where did you see the tag?
BU: On the shoulder.
Coach: Okay. I though he tagged him on the leg. My mistake.
BU: What can you see from way over there? Now get back over there in your box!

He said that he was disappointed that the coach walked away at this point because he was looking forward to his first ejection.

I asked why he told the coach that he saw the tag on the shoulder when he actually saw it on the leg. He said, "I thought he might want to argue if he thought I saw something differently than he did."

At this point I had heard enough. I told my young partner that if he didn't change his attitude he would either have a very short career of umpiring or he would never be working anything above the lowest levels of games. He did not like what I had to say and he told me to just stay out of his way during the JV game and he would make sure we never worked together again.

I did not get out of the parking lot before I called our assigner and left a voicemail telling him about what happened. He has since returned my call and assured me he would address the situation.

Have any of you worked with guys like this who make life miserable for the rest of us?
Old Sat Apr 27, 2013, 08:09pm
Official Forum Member

Attitudes like this have nothing to do with experience. There are "veterens" in my HS association who think the same way!
Old Sat Apr 27, 2013, 09:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMP45 View Post
Attitudes like this have nothing to do with experience. There are "veterens" in my HS association who think the same way!
Except they are not looking for their first ejection.

I have never had a partner like this one, "stay out of his way" in game 2.
Old Sun Apr 28, 2013, 06:19am
Official & ***** Member

Do you have an association that meets regularly? If so, the board members need to speak privately with Partner about his attitude.

Otherwise, it sounds like Partner needs to be working men's independent softball. He can get all the arguements / ejections he wants in those leagues.