The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jul 14, 2011, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

Helping at Camps

I just picked up my soon-to-be 9th grader from a basketball camp held at a local university and noticed several bad habits displayed by the camp attendees (e.g., severe palming of the ball by one point guard). I'll admit that it's tough to "turn off" when viewing that type of thing, but in the end those kind of bad habits will get called in games, one would hope, and probably frustrate the player since they can do it during the camps/practices.

That got me thinking about whether any of the camps have local officials come in to give demonstrations of some of the rules and how that might impact their playing style (or at least get them to consider correcting). I know these camps are time challenged, and no one wants to listen to "that guy" prattle on for hours, but I keep thinking that some level of instruction on rules and how they're typically interpreted would be of use.

Have any of you seen officials participate in these types of camp? Any ideas on the feasibility/appropriateness of such a thing? Again, not trying to be a downer but, if we're able to help players (and yes, ultimately, us) down the road, isn't it worth trying?
Old Thu Jul 14, 2011, 05:33pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Been There, Haven't Done That ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
I know these camps are time challenged.
Disagree. When I was coaching, I worked at a lot of camps, from local day camps held in high school gyms, to regional overnight camps held on college campuses. I've worked every single camp staff position other than the camp director (owner) position. Camp staffs are always looking to fill in time, especially those time slots when you want to give the kids some rest in a large group setting. A one hour presentation on rules would be quite welcome at most camps. This would certainly help camp directors in their quest to get the kids in, keep the kids busy, get the kids out, and then get to the bank to cash the parents' checks.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Jul 14, 2011 at 05:40pm.
Old Mon Jul 18, 2011, 12:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
... camp directors in their quest to get the kids in, keep the kids busy, get the kids out, and then get to the bank to cash the parents' checks.
What you have written here is my experience with what camp directors desire. They could care less if the kids learn the rules. They want the kids to have fun and a good time, so that they and others will attend next summer (or next week even).

Therefore, the only interaction most campers have with officials would be if they are brought in to work some games that are a part of the camp experience.

I highly doubt that the kids wish to sit and listen to an official talk about the rules. I know that I didn't when I was in middle school or high school.