The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 30, 2013, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
That's the beauty and challenge of officiating. We don't have the luxury of replaying a video clip 100 times and analyzing it from every angle. We see the play, and make the best call based on our judgement.

Unfortunately, we can't use intent to violate a rule as a factor in making our calls. Its pretty simple, was there a violation or not?

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Tue Apr 30, 2013, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
Based upon what? Are you suggesting his trip would still be a violation of 8-4-2d?
No, I'm suggesting that if the runner was tripped, he was tagged. If he wasn't tripped, he dove over the fielder. Either way, he's out.
Old Tue Apr 30, 2013, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Based upon what? Are you suggesting his trip would still be a violation of 8-4-2d?
Manny, if he was tripped, then the catcher tagged him , didn't he?
Old Tue Apr 30, 2013, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash riprock
No, I'm suggesting that if the runner was tripped, he was tagged. If he wasn't tripped, he dove over the fielder. Either way, he's out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jicecone View Post
Manny, if he was tripped, then the catcher tagged him , didn't he?
Um ... no. Unless you're suggesting that a fielder in possession of the ball in their glove can contact a runner with their head or shoulders and get an out...

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Apr 30, 2013, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPatrino View Post
That's the beauty and challenge of officiating. We don't have the luxury of replaying a video clip 100 times and analyzing it from every angle. We see the play, and make the best call based on our judgement.

Unfortunately, we can't use intent to violate a rule as a factor in making our calls. Its pretty simple, was there a violation or not?
I could probably tell ... or at least be able to determine whether I have enough evidence or not ... if I was the umpire on the spot. Unfortunately, we've been given 6 photographs - not nearly enough to decide.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Apr 30, 2013, 12:25pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_riprock View Post
Oh; I didn't realize you were suggesting he tripped on the catcher's mitt.

I didn't see any contact between the runner's foot and the mitt. And given that the catcher went back over to tag the runner after the dive/trip/whatever, he probably felt he missed on the first tag attempt.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Tue Apr 30, 2013, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
Um ... no. Unless you're suggesting that a fielder in possession of the ball in their glove can contact a runner with their head or shoulders and get an out...
Watch the video and freeze it right when 0:09 changes to 0:10. The runner is clearly airborne before there is any contact with F2's head/shoulders. When you get tripped, you fall forward and down. This runner launched himself. With the benefit of freeze-frame video, there is no doubt he dove over the fielder.
Old Tue Apr 30, 2013, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
I could probably tell ... or at least be able to determine whether I have enough evidence or not ... if I was the umpire on the spot. Unfortunately, we've been given 6 photographs - not nearly enough to decide.
I agree, had I been there I would have made a decision. Given the 'aid' of multiple views I would become much more undecided.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Tue Apr 30, 2013, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Watch the video and freeze it right when 0:09 changes to 0:10. The runner is clearly airborne before there is any contact with F2's head/shoulders. When you get tripped, you fall forward and down. This runner launched himself. With the benefit of freeze-frame video, there is no doubt he dove over the fielder.
A) That video sucks. B) I froze it at numerous points, and did not see the glove ever hit the player. C) At no point do I see the foot off the ground before the catcher's head / shoulders hit the runner.

I'm not saying this CANNOT be a dive - I'm just saying this is definitely not enough proof to override the umpire on the spot. Not even close.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Apr 30, 2013, 02:07pm
Official & ***** Member

Ya know, sometimes when they're gonna be out, they're just plain out. Whether it was by a tag on the foot, or the diving penalty, I'd have an out on this play.
Old Tue Apr 30, 2013, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT1 View Post
Ya know, sometimes when they're gonna be out, they're just plain out. Whether it was by a tag on the foot, or the diving penalty, I'd have an out on this play.
Right. It's impossible for him to be safe on this play.
Old Tue Apr 30, 2013, 02:52pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Right. It's impossible for him to be safe on this play.
And yet, he was.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Tue Apr 30, 2013, 04:48pm
Official Forum Member

Coach: How could you call him out on that play?
Me: Because he WAS!

-----------------------
Old Tue Apr 30, 2013, 06:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
And yet, he was.
You're absolutely right. I'll amend my post. It's impossible for him to be safe on this play unless the PU kicks the shit out of it.
Old Tue Apr 30, 2013, 11:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You're absolutely right. I'll amend my post. It's impossible for him to be safe on this play unless the PU kicks the shit out of it.
well put, PU didn't know the rule and from watching the ensuing conversation with the coach, the coach didn't know the rule either. (no surprise there)

thanks
David