The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 15, 2013, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member

Should I report this?

Here is the report I have typed up from a recent game. Should I submit it or let it go?

During the course of the game Mike ##### countinually talked to the catcher and hitter while pitches were being delivered. My catcher and my hitters both said that it was distracting. I told the players that they would just have to deal with it and do the best they could to ignore it because I did not want to risk upsetting an umpire during the game by asking him to stop. The varsity game went without major incidents. Before the beginning of the JV contest, Mr. ##### called me aside and tried to explain to me why he and his partner had made a particular call during the varsity game. I listened and moved on respectfully. Between innings during the JV game, Mr.##### began talking to me again (very loudly) in front of players. During this conversation he used the most vulgar of language which prompted me to walk away and avoid the situation. After returning to the dugout an inning later my assistant coach, without knowing about the previous incident related to me what Mr. ##### had said to him. He had used the same language in front of the other team's dugout where kids were standing. The language I am referring to is the "F-word". I do not ever use this word and I do not allow my players to use it or any other curse words. I am very disturbed that an umpire who is supposed to be an example to young men would be allowed to throw this word around like it is acceptable in front of high school students. I am certain that if a coach or player used this word when speaking to Mr. #####, they would be ejected from the game and forced to miss additional games.
Old Mon Apr 15, 2013, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmbu View Post
Here is the report I have typed up from a recent game. Should I submit it or let it go?

During the course of the game Mike ##### countinually talked to the catcher and hitter while pitches were being delivered. My catcher and my hitters both said that it was distracting. I told the players that they would just have to deal with it and do the best they could to ignore it because I did not want to risk upsetting an umpire during the game by asking him to stop. The varsity game went without major incidents. Before the beginning of the JV contest, Mr. ##### called me aside and tried to explain to me why he and his partner had made a particular call during the varsity game. I listened and moved on respectfully. Between innings during the JV game, Mr.##### began talking to me again (very loudly) in front of players. During this conversation he used the most vulgar of language which prompted me to walk away and avoid the situation. After returning to the dugout an inning later my assistant coach, without knowing about the previous incident related to me what Mr. ##### had said to him. He had used the same language in front of the other team's dugout where kids were standing. The language I am referring to is the "F-word". I do not ever use this word and I do not allow my players to use it or any other curse words. I am very disturbed that an umpire who is supposed to be an example to young men would be allowed to throw this word around like it is acceptable in front of high school students. I am certain that if a coach or player used this word when speaking to Mr. #####, they would be ejected from the game and forced to miss additional games.
I would. It's guys like this guy that give the rest of us a bad name.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Apr 15, 2013, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

I encourage you to call this guys assignor. MD is 100% correct.
Old Mon Apr 15, 2013, 03:03pm
Do not give a damn!!

If you have a formal procedure, then I would suggest yes report the incident. I would contact the people that assigned the game and the state if they are involved in these kinds of situations.

Peace
Old Mon Apr 15, 2013, 07:05pm
Official Forum Member

It's your duty as a coach of HS to report this. The baseball field is an extension of the classroom and your bosses would not allow this to go on in the school, would they? As was said before, this jamoke puts us all in a bad light.
Old Mon Apr 15, 2013, 07:36pm
3rdGennation

I've been a coach and now I am an umpire. I'm going to take the high road and suggest that perhaps Mike ++++ has some type of problem, medical or otherwise and may need help. Please do the right thing for the right reasons and report what happened as objectively as possible.
Old Mon Apr 15, 2013, 09:14pm
Is this a legal title?

I wouldn't get hung up on the "bad language" aspect. They're just words. I disagree that somebody else's language reflects poorly on me, or mine on them, just because we're both umpires. People who can't, or won't, make that distinction aren't worth trying to convince otherwise. Of course, I'm a guy who doesn't eject players of any age for using "curse words" as long as they're in the proper context.

Distracting your players? That deserved a visit during the game. By all means risk upsetting the umpire during the game if he's infringing on your players' focus. If I were a coach and he took offense to my request to stop, I would get ejected over it just to make him have to defend it.

If you want to report something, that would be what I would focus on.

What outcome are you looking for? If you want someone to order him to stop what he's doing, you'll probably be more successful reporting the "bad language." Most administrators of HS sports don't care if an "example for young men" distracts them while they're trying to play, just as long as his language is clean while he's bothering them.
Old Mon Apr 15, 2013, 10:07pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
I would make this report through your A.D.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Tue Apr 16, 2013, 08:14am
Stirrer of the Pot

Just my opinion, but get to the point in your report. Things like:

"The varsity game went without major incidents. Before the beginning of the JV contest, Mr. ##### called me aside and tried to explain to me why he and his partner had made a particular call during the varsity game. I listened and moved on respectfully."

and

"I do not ever use this word and I do not allow my players to use it or any other curse words."

really add no value to your report. Also, I would delete

"I am certain that if a coach or player used this word when speaking to Mr. #####, they would be ejected from the game and forced to miss additional games."

since it's just speculation on your part. You have no idea if this would really happen. I don't tolerate cussing when directed at an umpire over a call or at an opponent. But if a coach came up to me between innings and said, "This f###ing cold weather has got to go!" I would chuckle and agree with him.

As far as the umpire chatting it up with the catcher and batter, why didn't you ask him to stop? I tend to talk to the players as well (but not as a pitch is being delivered), but if a coach came up to me between innings and asked me to stop because it was distracting, I would have no problem doing it. For all you know, Mr. ##### might've done the same thing.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker

Last edited by Manny A; Tue Apr 16, 2013 at 08:16am.
Old Tue Apr 16, 2013, 09:11am
Official Forum Member

harmbu,

I know you hire your own umpires at home, so I'm going to assume that this was on the road. If this umpire was assigned by someone, I would report it to the assigner and definitely to MSHSAA. I would also take the advice of others in this thread and maybe edit out parts that don't pertain to the cursing. While annoying, I don't think talking to players excessively by itself is something that needs to be reported to the state. The cursing part is just unprofessional, especially at the high school level.
Old Tue Apr 16, 2013, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
harmbu,

I know you hire your own umpires at home, so I'm going to assume that this was on the road. If this umpire was assigned by someone, I would report it to the assigner and definitely to MSHSAA. I would also take the advice of others in this thread and maybe edit out parts that don't pertain to the cursing. While annoying, I don't think talking to players excessively by itself is something that needs to be reported to the state. The cursing part is just unprofessional, especially at the high school level.
Allow me to disagree 100%. The cursing, while unprofessional, is a side issue, and really a symptom of this guy's overall problem. He isn't there to umpire, he's there to chat up everyone and be Friendly Freddie. ALL of this is a sign of that. But the issue that needs to be addressed immediately is the chatter to the batters and catchers during play. If you report nothing else, THAT needs to be reported and addressed.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Apr 16, 2013, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
Allow me to disagree 100%. The cursing, while unprofessional, is a side issue, and really a symptom of this guy's overall problem. He isn't there to umpire, he's there to chat up everyone and be Friendly Freddie. ALL of this is a sign of that. But the issue that needs to be addressed immediately is the chatter to the batters and catchers during play. If you report nothing else, THAT needs to be reported and addressed.
I disagree that talking to players needs to be addressed to the state governing body. In this state (Where the OP's situation happened), I can tell you they aren't going to care if that is brought to them. If I was a coach, I would address this with the umpire directly in a non-confrontational manner and hope it sinks in. If not, just tell your players to ignore it and move on.

I have a decent idea who harmbu is talking about in the OP, and the post doesn't surprise me.
Old Tue Apr 16, 2013, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I disagree that talking to players needs to be addressed to the state governing body. In this state (Where the OP's situation happened), I can tell you they aren't going to care if that is brought to them. If I was a coach, I would address this with the umpire directly in a non-confrontational manner and hope it sinks in. If not, just tell your players to ignore it and move on.

I have a decent idea who harmbu is talking about in the OP, and the post doesn't surprise me.
It can and or should be addressed to the assigner or local association -- depending, of course on how those things work in your area.
Old Tue Apr 16, 2013, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member

Curious

I'm curious to know what he was saying during play! Was he talking during the pitch? On a throw to second? Coaching? Talking to himself about his wife that just left him?
Old Tue Apr 16, 2013, 02:30pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
I disagree that talking to players needs to be addressed to the state governing body. In this state (Where the OP's situation happened), I can tell you they aren't going to care if that is brought to them.
I didn't read where Mike suggested this gets taken to the State level. Surely there are folks at the local level, starting with this umpire's assignor, where it should be brought up.

But if your state is where complaints go, then shame on them, IMO. This is totally inappropriate in the context mentioned in the OP, where it's happening as the pitch is being delivered. It's one thing to talk to players on occasion when play is relaxed. But to keep on going as play is imminent? That needs to be addressed by the powers-that-be.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker