The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 01, 2013, 07:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluehair View Post
That reminds me of what my old boss once told me, "There is the right way, a wrong way, and my way to do things". So glad I have my own business and don't have to listen to one way Joes anymore.

So each and every time you have a CR come into the game, you pull out your lineup card, go through all of the players/numbers and write/verify that the CR is not an illegal sub and is running for the proper battery member. Internet umpires are so funny. I'll be willing to bet dollars to donuts (I know it's even money these days) that their virtuous/virtual practices and ballfield practices are not necessarily the same.
The first time a NEW CR comes into the game, yes, I do that. takes <10 seconds. If the same CR comes into the game again, I just note it on the card. Takes <3 seconds. If the CR enters in another capacity, I note in in the lineup section, AND make a note of it in the CR section (I put an X through his number there). So, if he again tries to come in as a CR, I can stop it. Takes <5 seconds.

I do that at least as often as you indicate you write on your hand.
Old Mon Apr 01, 2013, 07:59am
Stop staring at me swan.

Think of it this way, if an issue arises, you're going to spend far more time staring at your hand and also the lineup card...had you taken care of business right away, at least you just have to look at your lineup card. Looking at your hand and comparing it to your lineup card is going to look pretty dumb.
Old Mon Apr 01, 2013, 01:46pm
Official Forum Member

Line-up cards don't have a CR tracking section on them. Cards vary with every school. This past week I was handed a varsity line-up with subs on a 2x3 inch piece of paper the other team a 8.5x11 sheet. Sometimes there is room on the front to track CRs other times you have to keep it on the back. So you have to adapt how you keep track with each format you are given...no big deal. You guys seem to have a CR tracking system that works for you. Good.

But If my system accomplishes the same thing (and after ten years of development, I assure you, it does), then claiming your system is superior is just hubris.
Old Mon Apr 01, 2013, 02:11pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Line-up cards don't have a CR tracking section on them. Cards vary with every school. This past week I was handed a varsity line-up with subs on a 2x3 inch piece of paper the other team a 8.5x11 sheet. Sometimes there is room on the front to track CRs other times you have to keep it on the back. So you have to adapt how you keep track with each format you are given...no big deal. You guys seem to have a CR tracking system that works for you. Good.

But If my system accomplishes the same thing (and after ten years of development, I assure you, it does), then claiming your system is superior is just hubris.
I don't recall anyone saying that one system is superior over another. What I and others felt was that having writing on one's hand with a felt-tip marker just doesn't look right. Umpires are supposed to look impeccable when they get to the field, and do their best to stay that way. To me, having felt-tip ink on my hands is as much of an eyesore as an untucked shirt or dirt on my pants.

You said you don't do this when it's raining or the potential for profuse sweating is great. So what do you do then?

There are plenty of things we have to keep track of above and beyond substitutions and CR entries. There are conferences taken, warnings issued, bench restrictions and ejections given, etc. Where do you annotate those?

If your system works for you, fine. I just wouldn't recommend it for any of my umpiring colleagues.

BTW, if a coach handed my a 2x3 inch piece of paper, I'd give it back to him/her and tell him/her to give me a proper lineup card.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Mon Apr 01, 2013, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Point of fact - the only person calling one better than the other (at least so far) is you.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Apr 01, 2013, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
What I and others felt was that having writing on one's hand with a felt-tip marker just doesn't look right. Umpires are supposed to look impeccable when they get to the field, and do their best to stay that way.
How does ink on my skin deminishes my impeccable presentation?
Old Mon Apr 01, 2013, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
Point of fact - the only person calling one better than the other (at least so far) is you.
That's complete BS. I never said my system was superior. I'm only defending my system from unfounded accusations that its lazy/prone to errors. My suggestion was in response to the OP which was talking about how to keep track of which CR goes with which battery member.

Last edited by bluehair; Mon Apr 01, 2013 at 02:37pm.
Old Mon Apr 01, 2013, 03:17pm
Administrator

BlueHair:

The Lineup Card has a purpose: To keep track of all substitutions made in the game. The CR is a type of substitution. A substitute can only be CR for one position (F1 or F2) per game. If #11 CRs for F1 in the first inning, he can only CR for the F1 the entire game, he can not run for the F2 in the same inning or a later inning. These changes must be kept on the Lineup Card so that the PU can immediately stop the HC from having #1 CR for the F2 in a later inning. And if the game is suspended, your Lineup Card should remain with the Official Scorebook so that if the game is resumed at a later date and you are not the PU when the game is resumed the new PU will know who, what, and where.

Besides, umpire writing with a permanent marking on his hand is childish looking. Be a professional and act like a professional.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Apr 01, 2013, 03:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So each and every time you have a CR come into the game, you pull out your lineup card, go through all of the players/numbers and write/verify that the CR is not an illegal sub and is running for the proper battery member.
Yep. It's really easy, too, if you use the card that comes in the Honig's lineup card wallet. Pull out the wallet, check the lineup to see if the existing runner is F1 or F2, check the lineup to see if the CR has been in the game already, check the card to see if he was CR for the other position. Takes about as long as it does for the CR to realize he's going out there.

Also, I run a business. It got so much easier when I started listening to other people who had been in the same boat...just because I'm in charge doesn't mean I know everything.

Last edited by Matt; Mon Apr 01, 2013 at 03:26pm.
Old Mon Apr 01, 2013, 04:25pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for all the advice. I'll give it all the consideration it deserves.

Time to move along, brudas.
Old Tue Apr 02, 2013, 08:13am
In Time Out

I work with partners who as BU will keep track of it for me. Speed the game up you know. I usually can remember in my head anyway. I can remember who the catcher and pitcher are. I don't recall doing it, but I would ask the coach who he is sending in, and why to make certain what we got going on. New CR or PR.