View Single Post
Old Mon Apr 01, 2013, 02:11pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluehair View Post
Line-up cards don't have a CR tracking section on them. Cards vary with every school. This past week I was handed a varsity line-up with subs on a 2x3 inch piece of paper the other team a 8.5x11 sheet. Sometimes there is room on the front to track CRs other times you have to keep it on the back. So you have to adapt how you keep track with each format you are given...no big deal. You guys seem to have a CR tracking system that works for you. Good.

But If my system accomplishes the same thing (and after ten years of development, I assure you, it does), then claiming your system is superior is just hubris.
I don't recall anyone saying that one system is superior over another. What I and others felt was that having writing on one's hand with a felt-tip marker just doesn't look right. Umpires are supposed to look impeccable when they get to the field, and do their best to stay that way. To me, having felt-tip ink on my hands is as much of an eyesore as an untucked shirt or dirt on my pants.

You said you don't do this when it's raining or the potential for profuse sweating is great. So what do you do then?

There are plenty of things we have to keep track of above and beyond substitutions and CR entries. There are conferences taken, warnings issued, bench restrictions and ejections given, etc. Where do you annotate those?

If your system works for you, fine. I just wouldn't recommend it for any of my umpiring colleagues.

BTW, if a coach handed my a 2x3 inch piece of paper, I'd give it back to him/her and tell him/her to give me a proper lineup card.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker