The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 04, 2013, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

LL Umpire removing pitcher for hitting batters

Minors 8-10yr olds. Last night my pitcher hit two kids in one inning... I know shocking right? Anyhow, the Umpire said if she hit one more I'd have to pull her. What rule does this fall under? I'm guessing this is a discretion call based on player safety?

Thanks for any help
Old Thu Apr 04, 2013, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

Unless there is a league rule, this is an umpires call based upon NOT knowing the Rules.
Old Thu Apr 04, 2013, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jicecone View Post
Unless there is a league rule, this is an umpires call based upon NOT knowing the Rules.
True. And a common myth, but there's a reason for the myth. At least half of the youth leagues I've worked do have this in their league rules. (It's a rather stupid rule, considering you generally have your BETTER pitcher out there... and putting in the backup often results in a higher chance of HBP's)

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Apr 04, 2013, 12:39pm
Official Forum Member

I agree, it used to be in the LL rules when my son was playing. On the positive side I am sure the umpire is being over-cautious for safety sake, which is not so bad. On the negative side, I still see some officials making up rules at the HS level. Maybe not this one but there are some.

I was just told the other day how two runners were both on the same base and the umpire called them both out when tagged, on the base. True story.
Old Thu Apr 04, 2013, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks. We were trying to find something in the rulebook last night... cause it was new to us. It's difficult to contest a rule you can't find in the rulebook during the game. This Umpire crew made it so blatantly obvious they had it out for me last night. I had protested my previous game, based on a rule that I was supposed to follow... but isn't in our league rule book. My good pitchers were pitched out because of the blatantly biased strike zone for the other team. I had to bring in kids that aren't pitching material... of course HBP's are going to happen Einstein.
Old Thu Apr 04, 2013, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

dysfunctional:

Don't take this the wrong way however, your dealing with 8-10 yr Children. grab a hold of yourself and concentrate on working with them to become better ball players and HAVING FUN. By coming on a Umpires site and talking about how your getting hosed by umpires with 8-10 yr olds, truly shows how dysfunctual you may be.

Teach them to respect the umpires decisions at all times and concentrate on makig the players enjoy what they are doing and want to come back next year.

NOW, if you truly are upset about the ability of inexperienced umpires, sign up to be one and then you can start your own crusade to improve our profession.

have a good Day.
Old Thu Apr 04, 2013, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

Sorry if I came off as a hot head on a Umpire bashing crusade... that was not my intent. I'm not mad, nor did I get made during this game. I guess if anything I was just venting in a place that is not harmful to anyone. I do my very best to contain my emotions in front the kids and show everyone respect. Thanks again.
Old Thu Apr 04, 2013, 02:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jicecone View Post
I agree, it used to be in the LL rules when my son was playing. .
It may have been in your league's rules but it was never in the "real" LL rules.
Old Thu Apr 04, 2013, 03:37pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by dysfunctional View Post
I guess if anything I was just venting in a place that is not harmful to anyone.
This place is harmful if you come in and complain that umpires have blatantly biased strike zones and have it out for you.

Typically, LL umpires who are working 8-10 Minors games are not the most skilled at their craft. So it's quite possible that your perceived strike zone discrepancy may very well be just the umpire's inexperience.

Have you checked with your local league's "house" rules? As others have said, it's not a rule in the LL rule book. But the league could have a local rule calling for pitchers to be removed after hitting so many batters.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Thu Apr 04, 2013, 06:31pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Thanks. We were trying to find something in the rulebook last night... cause it was new to us. It's difficult to contest a rule you can't find in the rulebook during the game. This Umpire crew made it so blatantly obvious they had it out for me last night. I had protested my previous game, based on a rule that I was supposed to follow... but isn't in our league rule book. My good pitchers were pitched out because of the blatantly biased strike zone for the other team. I had to bring in kids that aren't pitching material... of course HBP's are going to happen Einstein.
You are probably getting umpires in many cases that are either not as well trained or are doing it for some money or other reasoning. I know someone (on this site) will say umpires at that level are not paid, but that is not often the case when it comes to in-house leagues. So that leaves the level of training called into question and if someone is not paid, they may be working because they could not get a better "gig."

As it was said this is youth sports, believe it or not most umpires really are not clamoring for LL games in the first place.

Peace
Old Thu Apr 04, 2013, 06:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
It may have been in your league's rules but it was never in the "real" LL rules.
Correct
Old Thu Apr 04, 2013, 06:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
This place is harmful if you come in and complain that umpires have blatantly biased strike zones and have it out for you.
Point taken

There is no rule stating as such in our league rule book. If it comes up again, I want to have something to appeal with.
Old Thu Apr 04, 2013, 06:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
You are probably getting umpires in many cases that are either not as well trained or are doing it for some money or other reasoning. I know someone (on this site) will say umpires at that level are not paid, but that is not often the case when it comes to in-house leagues. So that leaves the level of training called into question and if someone is not paid, they may be working because they could not get a better "gig."

As it was said this is youth sports, believe it or not most umpires really are not clamoring for LL games in the first place.

Peace
The league umpire in chief and two managers from higher level teams were all on the field... I'll just leave it at that.
Old Thu Apr 04, 2013, 06:50pm
Is this a legal title?

Quote:
The league umpire in chief and two managers from higher level teams were all on the field... I'll just leave it at that.
You should. I'm always willing to bet with anyone on the quality of LL umpires over the course of a season.

I'll give my opponent a dollar for every good one we see, and he gives me a nickel for every bad one we see. I won't win every bet, but I'll walk away with more money at the end of the season.
Old Thu Apr 04, 2013, 06:56pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
What does that have to do with anything? Are they D1 umpires? Are they former pro umpires? When I say training I am not talking about specific position, I am talking about being able to step into any level or situation and understand what it takes to handle that situation. And most of the time the lower levels in all sports suffer because of that fact. Nothing unique to LL, but youth sports in general. Lower levels are used as a stepping ground, not a landing place for most umpires/officials to get to another goal.

Peace