The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 18, 2013, 10:50am
Official Forum Member

Only here could someone start a thread about a ridiculous statement made by a coach and get chastised for having the wrong color dirt on the bottom of their plate shoes, but I am used to it.

"Actually, when the DC went to my partner first as I called time and walked away to home plate.

Anyway, thanks for the could of, should of and would of scenario's and the advise. We each have our styles of officiating and as always it makes for good learning and discussion.
Old Mon Mar 18, 2013, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jicecone View Post
Only here could someone start a thread about a ridiculous statement made by a coach and get chastised for having the wrong color dirt on the bottom of their plate shoes, but I am used to it......
Well, whose fault is that? If you would properly inspect the field before your games, you would have the proper color dirt on the bottom of your shoes. Cheesh... now you're blaming us for your lack of proper dirt inspection!
Old Mon Mar 18, 2013, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
You guys are beating jice up over this, like Jice should have run up the line and interjected himself into the discussion. That's nonsense. Emphatically insist? What - are you saying he should stomp his feet at home plate and yell at the coach to come talk to him? Come on guys.
I was not trying to beat anyone up. I am glad JC took the intended constructive criticism in the spirit it was given. I had the following recently.

Top of 1st fricking inning, no outs yet. Batter violates running lane rule, F2's throw hits BR deflects into RF, my partner (PU), doesn't kill it, R2/R1/BR running bases. Then F2 complains to my partner, DHC comes out to complain, partner becons me to asks what the penalty is for RL violation, I tell him what it is, and then he calls RL violation, BR out, runners return.

After chewing on my partner for awhile, OHC comes out on me, asking how/why I changed my partner's call. Why is my partner letting OHC come chew on me...Me not happy. I tell OHC that it was my partner's call all the way, he needs to talk to him.

If I hadn't had my mellow harshed, and I was thinking teamwork, maybe I could have told OHC, that though this mess was ugly, I think my partner got the call right. Maybe I could have calmed him down some, but I didn't and OHC made himself a right PITA the rest of the game. All because of bad game management on both of our parts.

Last edited by bluehair; Mon Mar 18, 2013 at 01:04pm.
Old Mon Mar 18, 2013, 03:01pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
If the coach is going to the wrong guy, then I *do* step up and say, "That's my call, Bill. Come talk to me."

No stomping of the feet or running up the line or whatever, but I do try to direct the coach.
FWIW, I don't intercede. I trust my partner knows what to do.

Heck, what would happen if the coach heads to my partner, I say, "That was my call, coach, so come to me please," and he responds, "I'm going to him about something else that was his responsibility, Blue"? Then I've got egg on my face.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Wed Mar 20, 2013, 10:01pm
Medium Kahuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Actually the rule or the philosophy is almost exactly like football. The problem is people use that line in many inaccurate ways. The ground cannot cause a fumble, but it can cause an incompletion. But your point is taken.

Peace
The ground CAN cause a fumble. If the runner trips, lands on the ball and no part of his body touches the ground before the ball comes loose, the ground has caused a fumble.

And yes, I've seen it.

I agree that the OP is not a catch.
Old Thu Mar 21, 2013, 07:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maven View Post
The ground CAN cause a fumble. If the runner trips, lands on the ball and no part of his body touches the ground before the ball comes loose, the ground has caused a fumble.

And yes, I've seen it.

Isn't it more properly "A grounded ball cannot be fumbled"? That's how I think of it as a non-football official. If the runner is down by rule or contact, he can't fumble, if he isn't then he can.
Old Thu Mar 21, 2013, 07:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
FWIW, I don't intercede. I trust my partner knows what to do.

Heck, what would happen if the coach heads to my partner, I say, "That was my call, coach, so come to me please," and he responds, "I'm going to him about something else that was his responsibility, Blue"? Then I've got egg on my face.
This exactly. If coach is talking to my partner and partner doesn't tell him to go to me, I'm assuming the discussion is about something my partner is responsible for. I'm not interjecting myself. (Granted, my attitude about this may be different in the case of a rookie who doesn't yet know how to handle this).

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Mar 21, 2013, 08:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maven View Post

And yes, I've seen it.

Or, in the NFL, if runner falls without being contacted by a defender, and the ball comes out (whether his body touches the ground or not), it's a fumble.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Mar 21, 2013, 08:11am
Official Forum Member

So I am doing another game last night and the right fielder dives for a catch and snares it. As he brings his glove up from the ground to show his has possesion, at the point he stretches arm out completely he drops the ball.

I anticipate the call and end up having to change it. It happens.
Old Thu Mar 21, 2013, 08:18am
Official & ***** Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jicecone View Post
I anticipate the call and end up having to change it. It happens.
"It" happens less frequently if your timing is v-e-r-y slow.
Old Thu Mar 21, 2013, 08:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT1 View Post
"It" happens less frequently if your timing is v-e-r-y slow.
Your absolutley correct, but even then "it" still happens.