The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 12, 2013, 09:14pm
Official Forum Member

Little League Mandatory Play question

I'm curious what the right ruling for a scenario I've got is. Using the tournament rules, on page T-17, rule 9. Suppose team A has 13 eligible players on their roster. Top of the first, catcher A2 is ejected for arguing balls and strikes. At this point, is each other player then required to play for 6 consecutive defensive outs as if the team only had 12 eligible players? Or would the team have to forfeit since not all uniformed, eligible (at the start of the game) players have gotten a turn to bat (which I can't see anyone ever calling)? What exactly would be the proper ruling here?
Old Tue Mar 12, 2013, 11:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinoian View Post
I'm curious what the right ruling for a scenario I've got is. Using the tournament rules, on page T-17, rule 9. Suppose team A has 13 eligible players on their roster. Top of the first, catcher A2 is ejected for arguing balls and strikes. At this point, is each other player then required to play for 6 consecutive defensive outs as if the team only had 12 eligible players? Or would the team have to forfeit since not all uniformed, eligible (at the start of the game) players have gotten a turn to bat (which I can't see anyone ever calling)? What exactly would be the proper ruling here?
It means the number at the at the start of the game.

Given the page number you referenced you are looking at last year's book. Get a new one - the rule has changed for 13+ players.
Old Wed Mar 13, 2013, 07:22am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinoian View Post
As Rich said.

Also, mandatory play violations are no longer automatic forfeits. That went away about four years ago or so.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker