The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 23, 2011, 12:23pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs up OT - rec league play pays off

Last night, our local HS girls varsity team beat an in-conference opponent 60-15 to go 11-0 in conference play. In fact, they shut the other team out in the first quarter and allowed only two points in the third! I wasn't at the game, but saw the story and box score in the paper this morning. Why am I mentioning it? I recognized some of the girl's names and remembered they started playing in 3rd grade in our local kids rec league of which I've been a Board member for more than 15 years. Maybe a couple of the girls will get basketball scholarships to college.

Any of you guys ever had a HS varsity game in which a team didn't score at all in a quarter? That's gotta be unusual.
Old Wed Feb 23, 2011, 12:53pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Last night, our local HS girls varsity team beat an in-conference opponent 60-15 to go 11-0 in conference play. In fact, they shut the other team out in the first quarter and allowed only two points in the third! I wasn't at the game, but saw the story and box score in the paper this morning. Why am I mentioning it? I recognized some of the girl's names and remembered they started playing in 3rd grade in our local kids rec league of which I've been a Board member for more than 15 years. Maybe a couple of the girls will get basketball scholarships to college.

Any of you guys ever had a HS varsity game in which a team didn't score at all in a quarter? That's gotta be unusual.
It's not that unusual, unfortunately, on the girls side around here. We had a game finish 59-6 a few weeks ago (and I have the losing team tomorrow).
Old Wed Feb 23, 2011, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

Boy's game earlier in the season was 24-0 for me.
Old Wed Feb 23, 2011, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Last Friday night. 30 - 0 at end of first quarter. Team B HC - heck only coach - sat on bench leaning back and never said a word. During a TO he quietly spoke/coached the girls. UGLY!
Old Wed Feb 23, 2011, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

Emotions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
It's not that unusual, unfortunately, on the girls side around here. We had a game finish 59-6 a few weeks ago (and I have the losing team tomorrow).
Last week in the third quarter GV a team never scored, fouled plenty though! I hope you can keep your focus Rich! If you're lucky both teams will be evenly matched. Blow outs in Girls games gets to be like torture sometimes, especially JV, the losers can get highly emotional. Last week in a girls JV blow out in the fourth quarter, I called a blocking foul on a girl from the losing team for basically accidentally tackling her opponent. (H1 tripped as she was heading toward the ball handler and knocked the dribbler flat.) I whistle the foul as H1 is plowing through her opponent. H1 stays on the ground face down, loudly sobbing, her fiith foul too. She's not moving at all so I beckon the coach. Partner and I go out to center court. I tell him, she's not hurt, she's embarrassed from tripping. (This same girl broke into tears earlier when she took off for the wrong rim and I whistled her for over and back.) Sure enough, a minute later she's up and walking back to the bench. Next night's game she runs like a young gazelle.
Old Wed Feb 23, 2011, 01:21pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudwhistle2 View Post
Last week in the third quarter GV a team never scored, fouled plenty though! I hope you can keep your focus Rich! If you're lucky both teams will be evenly matched. Blow outs in Girls games gets to be like torture sometimes, especially JV, the losers can get highly emotional. Last week in a girls JV blow out in the fourth quarter, I called a blocking foul on a girl from the losing team for basically accidentally tackling her opponent. (H1 tripped as she was heading toward the ball handler and knocked the dribbler flat.) I whistle the foul as H1 is plowing through her opponent. H1 stays on the ground face down, loudly sobbing, her fiith foul too. She's not moving at all so I beckon the coach. Partner and I go out to center court. I tell him, she's not hurt, she's embarrassed from tripping. (This same girl broke into tears earlier when she took off for the wrong rim and I whistled her for over and back.) Sure enough, a minute later she's up and walking back to the bench. Next night's game she runs like a young gazelle.
The first time these two teams played, it was 88-30. So, well, ...

The team that scored 88? It was their only conference win (so far) this season. The home team is 1-18 and they won a nonconference game 60-12 against a team I've also seen this season.
Old Wed Feb 23, 2011, 02:26pm
TODO: creative title here

Had a 9th grade boys game earlier this season (we run 16-minute halves here in MN rather then 8-minute quarters).
At one point in early (first 5 minutes or so) in the first half, the visiting team lead 6-4.

The visiting team ended up losing by a final score of 60-6.

That's right, the home team went on a 54-point run to close out the game.

Which, in the quarter system, means that the visitors didn't score for over 3 quarters.

What do I win?
Old Wed Feb 23, 2011, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jTheUmp View Post

What do I win?
A book of Padgett's best jokes!
Old Wed Feb 23, 2011, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Rich...was it P-E?
Old Wed Feb 23, 2011, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
He asked about what he'd win.
Old Wed Feb 23, 2011, 02:48pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodwillRef View Post
Rich...was it P-E?
No, closer to where I live. I'll send you a PM. They scored 7 points in a game last week, BTW. So 2 games with single digits this year...
Old Wed Feb 23, 2011, 02:53pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
72-3 with a running clock the whole second half. A lucky shot when the player was falling over or it would have been 72-1. The second game was better. 46-10.

Also had a 51-8 game which was 32-0 at one point. Again, the running clock rule was our friend.
Old Wed Feb 23, 2011, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
One in the collection of "Thinnest Books Ever Written"
Old Wed Feb 23, 2011, 02:59pm
Official Forum Member

Game I had earlier this year...

Quote from the local paper...
Jesuit (17-1, 4-1) took control from the opening tip -- pounding the offensive boards and holding Beaverton (16-3, 4-1) to two field goals in the first half -- and cruised to a convincing 62-45 win
Beaverton didn't make a field goal in the first quarter and was 2 for 18 from the field in the first half as the Crusaders forced them into 12 turnovers and several rushed shots.
And this was #1 in the state vs. #5 in the state (girls). Obviously, from the score, Beaverton got it going a bit better after the half, but the first half was difficult to overcome.
Old Wed Feb 23, 2011, 02:59pm
certified Hot Mom tester

OK - here's one

Quote:
Two atoms were walking down the street and one of them didn't look so good. The other atom asked what's wrong. The first atom said, "I've lost an electron." The second atom said, "Are you sure?" The first atom replied, "I'm positive."

OK - let the "that's one of your best?" jokes begin.