The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 02, 2012, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

Off Season Routine

What do you guys do to stay fresh during the off-season? Work other sports, increase exercise regimen? Read the rulebooks? Review caseplays? (Hang out here.. obviously!)

How much time do you take off, physically, after the season ends - if any. How early before the next season do you begin ramping back up?

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Nov 02, 2012, 11:02am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
What do you guys do to stay fresh during the off-season? Work other sports, increase exercise regimen? Read the rulebooks? Review caseplays? (Hang out here.. obviously!)

How much time do you take off, physically, after the season ends - if any. How early before the next season do you begin ramping back up?
It's never the off-season for me. My last football game is November 10 and my first basketball game is November 16.

I'm running 5K 3 times a week -- not at a terribly fast clip -- about 28 minutes or so.

Mixing in some elliptical work, too. My goal is to drop about 15-20 pounds between now and next baseball season (I'd like to get down to about 180-190) and be in top physical condition, too.

Next thing to add is a weight routine for the days when I'm not doing cardio.

I've noticed the improved conditioning on the football field. I had an 80-yard sprint on a pick-six that would've left me slightly winded last season and this year it didn't even phase me.
Old Fri Nov 02, 2012, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

lots of exercise / working out between baseball season and basketball seaon. Less so during basketball season.

No rules study until about 6 weeks before the season.

I picked up basketball "just to have something to do" -- now it's great fun and a great way to stay fresh for baseball.
Old Fri Nov 02, 2012, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

Association just had two day clinic for all members, which was good. I never stop reading or studying the rules but, it will definetly get more intense come Jan 1.

Physically, dam I am getting FAT.

Right after the cruise next week I need to get my Butt moving.

Thanksgiving, Xmas Parties, Xmas, New Years, Mardigras, Superbowl, Fat Tuesday.

Wow, then it's time for Baseball again !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Fri Nov 02, 2012, 12:05pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
It's never the off-season for me. My last football game is November 10 and my first basketball game is November 16.

I'm running 5K 3 times a week -- not at a terribly fast clip -- about 28 minutes or so.

Mixing in some elliptical work, too. My goal is to drop about 15-20 pounds between now and next baseball season (I'd like to get down to about 180-190) and be in top physical condition, too.

I've noticed the improved conditioning on the football field. I had an 80-yard sprint on a pick-six that would've left me slightly winded last season and this year it didn't even phase me.
I need to pick this up too. I was in pretty bad shape last year. My baseball season will start in February...so time is of the essence.
Old Sat Nov 03, 2012, 08:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

That's a good routine. Mix that up with good diet and you will reach that goal.

I'm in CA, so we can umpire until late in the year and some here go year round. I personally try to work out at least three times a week. I do cardio and a weight routine. My problem is diet. I'm on the road a lot and that does not lend itself to good eating. I also try to catch a few clinics between now and February.
Old Sat Nov 03, 2012, 04:17pm
Administrator

Well, MTD, Jr. likes to tell people that he officiates basketball between the baseball seasons and that I umpire baseball between the basketball seasons.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Nov 05, 2012, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I have a weight loss bet with a friend. Money is a great motivator.

I have to lose 20lbs and he as to lose 25lbs by the Superbowl!

I do a ton of SP games up here along with some football to top things off in the fall and have a bit of foot/heal problem that needs some rest. I'll start some Broomball refereeing "LOL" here once we get usable ice around Christmas time.

But for me Diet is everything, in the 10 days since we started the bet, with improved diet I have lost like 6 pounds.
I'm trying to keep it around 2500 cals per day give or take and its really helping so far. I Cut out fast food, Chips and my biggest foe, Fresh bakery!

I'll start some Treadmill and weight training this week also.

This thread is making me Hungry ... Rice-Cake anybody? ..

Good Luck Everybody!
Old Mon Nov 05, 2012, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

It's amazing how much you can lose by just cutting out snacks and sodas. It's all stuff we generally know is bad, but even if you keep eating hamburgers every day for dinner but just change to drinking water, you'll slowly lose a little weight. As you branch out and replace french fries with vegetables, fried chicken with grilled chicken, etc., you can see some pretty nice improvements. I'm down about 15 pounds since mid-August and really only getting into the swing of a more healthy diet.

Paired up with some good heavy weight lifting and a little cardio, I'm looking forward to dropping another 10 by spring and work to maintain that.
Old Wed Nov 07, 2012, 03:47pm
Official Forum Member

As Nolan once said there is no offseason anymore. I go straight from baseball to football, keeping up road work during each season and work during the 2 month break.

Nolan Ryan commercial for Advil - 1993 - YouTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post

Old Thu Nov 08, 2012, 03:05pm
Official Forum Member

We have intermittent youth league games in Vegas that I have the pleasure of working. It keeps my incentive up to not get out of shape, and with the short stature of some of the kids, I get a lot of squats in during a 1:45-2 hour game. Since something happens nearly every inning, I get to discuss the different implications with my partner during pitcher warmups, while the event is fresh.

For example, we recently had 2-1, R1. Ball is called, and B1 thinks its a walk, (miscounted) and starts heading to first. R1 moves to second. When we get the batter to return to the plate, R1 went back to first, while the pitcher just watched him. Without these screwy little off-season plays, I might forget come March that the runner had legally advanced to second during a live ball, along with the other implications of his retreat.
Old Sun Nov 11, 2012, 01:50am
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASA Ump MN View Post
I have a weight loss bet with a friend. Money is a great motivator.

I have to lose 20lbs and he as to lose 25lbs by the Superbowl!

I do a ton of SP games up here along with some football to top things off in the fall and have a bit of foot/heal problem that needs some rest. I'll start some Broomball refereeing "LOL" here once we get usable ice around Christmas time.

But for me Diet is everything, in the 10 days since we started the bet, with improved diet I have lost like 6 pounds.
I'm trying to keep it around 2500 cals per day give or take and its really helping so far. I Cut out fast food, Chips and my biggest foe, Fresh bakery!

I'll start some Treadmill and weight training this week also.

This thread is making me Hungry ... Rice-Cake anybody? ..

Good Luck Everybody!
I don't know your height, weight or age. Depending on a weight loss goal is fine, but the best thing to have done before you got on a diet/workout regimen was to have gotten your BMI measured. If your weight loss isn't what your hoping, you could be putting on muscle. At the end of the bet, you could remeasure, and see. Losing weight too fast isn't good for the muscles because your body will start craving, and then you wind up with less muscle, and more flabby skin.
Old Sun Nov 11, 2012, 01:52am
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchamp View Post
We have intermittent youth league games in Vegas that I have the pleasure of working. It keeps my incentive up to not get out of shape, and with the short stature of some of the kids, I get a lot of squats in during a 1:45-2 hour game. Since something happens nearly every inning, I get to discuss the different implications with my partner during pitcher warmups, while the event is fresh.

For example, we recently had 2-1, R1. Ball is called, and B1 thinks its a walk, (miscounted) and starts heading to first. R1 moves to second. When we get the batter to return to the plate, R1 went back to first, while the pitcher just watched him. Without these screwy little off-season plays, I might forget come March that the runner had legally advanced to second during a live ball, along with the other implications of his retreat.
Too many squats isn't good for the knee joints. I'd work on one knee.
Old Sun Nov 11, 2012, 09:35am
Veteran College Umpire

Working on the knee isn't good for the pants.

JJ
Old Tue Nov 13, 2012, 02:34am
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ View Post
Working on the knee isn't good for the pants.

JJ
I can buy new pants. It's much harder to replace a knee.

I have had to work a knee on occasion. Just too hard on everything to be constantly going up and down.