The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 15, 2012, 11:45am
Do not give a damn!!

This is a bad miss and the umpire is moving and likely misses the perspective to make the call. We have all been there, but I would expect a little better mechanic from an MLB umpire that does not have to get to another base like most of us do in our games. Oh well, another day another dollar.
Old Mon Oct 15, 2012, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
The call was referred to in the headline in my morning paper.

Girardi spent a lot of time talking about it and how baseball "needs" expanded replay -- convenient for him that it left him less time to talk about his team managing 4 hits the entire game.
And one of the reporters said, (twice, I think), "But, Joe, your guys didn't score any runs."

Rita
Old Mon Oct 15, 2012, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Here's what I posted on another board about this:
I agree on the "moving" part. But, why was he moving? Because he started the play (at the time of the throw) on the third base side of second. Why did he start there?
Not disagreeing, but I didn't see that in the ESPN video (that was part of the SC piece on the play with Garciaparra).....is there any video out that showing that?
Stopping the ESPN video at 00:39 and again at 00:43 seems to have him more toward the first base side of second. of course it doesn't follow all of his movement in the play.
Old Mon Oct 15, 2012, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJUmp View Post
Not disagreeing, but I didn't see that in the ESPN video (that was part of the SC piece on the play with Garciaparra).....is there any video out that showing that?
Stopping the ESPN video at 00:39 and again at 00:43 seems to have him more toward the first base side of second. of course it doesn't follow all of his movement in the play.
Or at about 4 seconds, when the ball is hit, he's clearly on the 1st base side ... where he's supposed to be.

Problem is, I think he was genuinely surprised by the "pick-off" from right field, and completely unprepared for it. So he ran, and didn't see what he should have seen.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Oct 15, 2012, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

I don't think the positioning was that bad, just where he was focusing his attention was probably wrong. IMO, he was looking at the hand and the base, and not the whole picture.

Good tags are made right before the base, but you can't anticipate that's where it's always going to take place.
Old Mon Oct 15, 2012, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita C View Post
And one of the reporters said, (twice, I think), "But, Joe, your guys didn't score any runs."

Rita
Separate issue.
Old Mon Oct 15, 2012, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylejt View Post
I don't think the positioning was that bad, just where he was focusing his attention was probably wrong. IMO, he was looking at the hand and the base, and not the whole picture.

Good tags are made right before the base, but you can't anticipate that's where it's always going to take place.
Are you kidding me? His positioning was AWFUL! I don't do six man like they do in the postseason, but with 6 umpires on the diamond, what else should he be doing? Isn't R1's touch of second Nelson's responsibility. Clearly the play at second was and instead of moving perpendicular to the base to gain an angle and coming set when the ball arrived, Nelson was running directly at the base, was to close to the play and was moving when he went to make a call. All this is basic umpiring 101, which a playoff rated umpire UTTERLY FAILED AT!
Well I am certainly wiser than this man. It is only too likely that neither of us has any knowledge to boast of; but he thinks that he knows something which he does not know, whereas I am quite conscious of my ignorance. At any rate it seems that I am wiser than he is to this small extent, that I do not think that I know what I do not know. ~Socrates

Last edited by Kaliix; Mon Oct 15, 2012 at 01:07pm.
Old Mon Oct 15, 2012, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJUmp View Post
My comment was based on what I saw at the time. Maybe he didn't make it all the way to the third base side but he was, imo, too far toward that side. And, again, it's a lesson for me to use when I'm BU in a similar situation.
Old Mon Oct 15, 2012, 01:22pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaliix View Post
Are you kidding me? His positioning was AWFUL! I don't do six man like they do in the postseason, but with 6 umpires on the diamond, what else should he be doing? Isn't R1's touch of second Nelson's responsibility. Clearly the play at second was and instead of moving perpendicular to the base to gain an angle and coming set when the ball arrived, Nelson was running directly at the base, was to close to the play and was moving when he went to make a call. All this is basic umpiring 101, which a playoff rated umpire UTTERLY FAILED AT!
Seems to me from the places in this video (starting at 1:58 or so) where I could see Nelson, he was in the right position to begin with. For whatever reason, he felt he had to move closer to the bag to make the call. There was no reason to, IMO.

Baseball Video Highlights & Clips | Must C Call: Infante ruled safe on a close play - Video | MLB.com: Multimedia
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker

Last edited by Manny A; Mon Oct 15, 2012 at 01:25pm.
Old Mon Oct 15, 2012, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwwashburn View Post
This play did not cost the Yanks the game.

But, your comment is silly.

What if it is a tie game in the bottom of the ninth, the home team scores a run on a foul ball ruled to be a HR.

Did one bad call blow the game?
Ummm Maybe Im wrong but isint that now reviewable??
Old Mon Oct 15, 2012, 02:22pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by legend View Post
Ummm Maybe Im wrong but isint that now reviewable??
Yes, but you get his point.

If you need a more realistic scenario, make it a walk-off double down the line that stayed in the park, but replays that cannot be reviewed show the ball was foul.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Mon Oct 15, 2012, 03:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
Yes, but you get his point.

If you need a more realistic scenario, make it a walk-off double down the line that stayed in the park, but replays that cannot be reviewed show the ball was foul.
You are correct I get his point, and I agree that their is a completely different feel going into the bottom of the inning with a 1-0 game vs a 3-0 game and yes momentum would have been with the Yankees. However to say OZZY is wrong for making his comment is ALSO wrong. Because infact he is correct. Take care of business in one of the first 8 innings and maybe that call wouldn't matter at all.
Old Mon Oct 15, 2012, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

I explained this to my 9 year old Saturday, and she got it. Umpires (should) get it much easier.

Some mistake made late in a game (whether by umpire or player or coach) is no more important than the same mistake made earlier. The umpire makes one mistake, but the Yankees failed to prevent one other run, and failed to get on base 27 other times (minus baserunning outs and DP's, I suppose).

My daughter made the last out of her game the other day, a game they lost 14-12. Her out was not the reason they lost, even though she thought so. The rest of the team made 8 other outs (3 inning game). Their defense allowed 14 runs. ONE out, ONE mistake by the umpire, ONE hit by a player, ONE coach's error in sending a runner, pinch hitting, turning in the lineup in the first place, etc... does not cause a loss.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Oct 15, 2012, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by legend View Post
...I agree that their is a completely different feel going into the bottom of the inning with a 1-0 game vs a 3-0 game and yes momentum would have been with the Yankees....Take care of business in one of the first 8 innings and maybe that call wouldn't matter at all.
Yup!

Was it a bad call? Yes, obviously. Did it cost the Yankee$ the game? No, obviously.

You do have to score to win. In the 21 innings of this series so far, the Yankee$ have scored in 1 inning. That's right.. one.

In their 78 official at-bats, they have 20 strikeouts.

Yeah, the lack of "pressure" on the Detroit pitcher cost them the game. Sure, Joe. You betcha.

Will it result in expanded replay? Yeah, probably, since it happened to the Yankee$!
Old Mon Oct 15, 2012, 05:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
Separate issue.
Maybe, but Joe was trying to link them and the reporter wasn't letting him.

Rita