The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Aug 24, 2012, 09:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
It is a business, they can do whatever they want in their business. If leagues can tell players what they can or cannot wear out of uniform, then baseball players can be told what they can wear while in uniform. This is not nearly as restrictive as other pro sports. They can get over it.

Peace
Absolutely they can... doesn't make it less stupid.

West Houston Mike
Old Sat Aug 25, 2012, 10:25am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
Absolutely they can... doesn't make it less stupid.
Well that is an opinion and a subjective one at that. And I doubt honestly they care what we think anyway.

Peace
Old Sat Aug 25, 2012, 08:09pm
Official & ***** Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Well that is an opinion and a subjective one at that. And I doubt honestly they care what we think anyway.
As we are "consumers" of MLB, they are certainly concerned. Who do you think pays their salaries?
Old Sun Aug 26, 2012, 02:02am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT1 View Post
As we are "consumers" of MLB, they are certainly concerned. Who do you think pays their salaries?
I do not think if a player has a friendship bracelet or not is going to make people in droves start or stop going to games or watching on TV. So I am sure they are not concerned with the public on this very specific issue if they have a rule or not.

Peace
Old Sun Aug 26, 2012, 06:53am
Official & ***** Member

And I am just as sure that if the viewing public perceives MLB to be as stupid in other, more important areas as they are in this specific instance, ratings (and thus advertising dollars) will decline.

Personally, I boycotted my favorite team's telecast last Thursday because of this very issue. (The fact that they played on the West Coast & it was past my bedtime anyway had nothing to do with it!)
Old Sun Aug 26, 2012, 10:36am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT1 View Post
And I am just as sure that if the viewing public perceives MLB to be as stupid in other, more important areas as they are in this specific instance, ratings (and thus advertising dollars) will decline.

Personally, I boycotted my favorite team's telecast last Thursday because of this very issue. (The fact that they played on the West Coast & it was past my bedtime anyway had nothing to do with it!)
Considering that I have not heard one person outside of this forum even discuss this situation, I doubt seriously it is that big of a deal. It is a bigger deal to us because we umpire and deal with certain rules. To the rest of the public, they probably did not even know this happen and baseball anyway does a bad job marketing their sport anyway and this is not going to change as a result of someone wearing or not wearing a bracelet.

Peace
Old Sun Aug 26, 2012, 02:52pm
Official & ***** Member

"If you take care of the small things, the big things take care of themselves." -- Emily Dickinson
Old Sun Aug 26, 2012, 06:03pm
Official Forum Member

I doubt it was a directive from the front office or it would have taken place earlier in the game. This incident took place in the second inning, a full inning after Dickey had already pitched with the bracelets on!

This was something that was done by the umpire crew at that specific game. I just wish they'd spend as much time scrutinizing the outs calls they've been making when the player doesn't even have the ball!
Old Sun Aug 26, 2012, 08:44pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueump View Post
I doubt it was a directive from the front office or it would have taken place earlier in the game. This incident took place in the second inning, a full inning after Dickey had already pitched with the bracelets on!

This was something that was done by the umpire crew at that specific game. I just wish they'd spend as much time scrutinizing the outs calls they've been making when the player doesn't even have the ball!
This situation reminds me of the umpires that said they would carry magic markers to blacken out the label of a glove to cover up the white so it wouldn't be an "illegal" glove. Overkill to the max.