The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   MLB umpire has friendship bracelet removed (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/92244-mlb-umpire-has-friendship-bracelet-removed.html)

BEAREF Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:09am

MLB umpire has friendship bracelet removed

R.A. Dickey friendship bracelets made by his kids removed at umpire?s order | Big League Stew - Yahoo! Sports

MD Longhorn Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:15am

Saw that. Stupid. No one complained, just an OOO.

legend Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:38am

How has he managed to make it through 15+ starts w/o any other umpires enforcing the rule. This makes that paticular ump look bad but he's just doing his job. I'm wondering though what is acceptable accessories at m.l.b. level? Just about every player wears some type of Phiten necklace or other type of necklace, multiple wrist bands. Are accessories restrictions only enforced on the pitchers?

Manny A Fri Aug 17, 2012 01:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by legend (Post 852016)
How has he managed to make it through 15+ starts w/o any other umpires enforcing the rule.

And which rule may that be?

There are rules in amateur play that restrict what a pitcher may wear on his arm, wrist, etc. I can't find anything similar in straight OBR.

MD Longhorn Fri Aug 17, 2012 02:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by legend (Post 852016)
How has he managed to make it through 15+ starts w/o any other umpires enforcing the rule.

I'm wondering why, if 15 umpires have ruled one way, and one a different way, you're assuming the 1 is right and the 15 wrong, and not the other way around.
Quote:

I'm wondering though what is acceptable accessories at m.l.b. level?
Dang near anything that isn't reflective or deceptive that makes it harder to pick up the ball quickly (like a white glove for example).

Adam Fri Aug 17, 2012 03:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbcrowder (Post 852035)
I'm wondering why, if 15 umpires have ruled one way, and one a different way, you're assuming the 1 is right and the 15 wrong, and not the other way around.Dang near anything that isn't reflective or deceptive that makes it harder to pick up the ball quickly (like a white glove for example).

My first thought is that if one guy makes a different call after it had been allowed all season, then the umpires were probably instructed to put a stop to it. We'll know who was right at his next start.

tcarilli Fri Aug 17, 2012 05:21pm

I have an incredibly hard time believing a big-league umpire would pick this booger of his accord. An article I saw says it didn't come from visiting manger, but may have come from the front office.

lawump Fri Aug 17, 2012 09:39pm

My understanding is that it was an MLB directive recently sent out.

JRutledge Sun Aug 19, 2012 03:32am

Not only do I think the league said something to the umpires, I doubt there was not a complaint by someone on a team at some point.

This is pro ball, there is interaction between the officials/umpires and the league office as to what is acceptable.

Peace

CT1 Sun Aug 19, 2012 06:21am

"It wasn't La Russa, and it wasn't Reds manager Dusty Baker, either. Crew chief Jim Joyce told Collins that the league is cracking down on minute uniform violations."

Wait a minute. The league allows all kinds of chains, necklaces, etc that actually *could* be distracting to a batter, but won't allow a tiny piece of string tied around a pitcher's wrist? On the *glove* hand, yet??

C'mon, man.

JRutledge Sun Aug 19, 2012 03:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CT1 (Post 852087)
"It wasn't La Russa, and it wasn't Reds manager Dusty Baker, either. Crew chief Jim Joyce told Collins that the league is cracking down on minute uniform violations."

Wait a minute. The league allows all kinds of chains, necklaces, etc that actually *could* be distracting to a batter, but won't allow a tiny piece of string tied around a pitcher's wrist? On the *glove* hand, yet??

C'mon, man.

Remember they cannot fire those guys. So whatever he was told they can do whatever they like.

Peace

JR12 Sun Aug 19, 2012 03:37pm

I'd like to see the league fine guys for not wearing their hat straight.

CT1 Sun Aug 19, 2012 04:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 852103)
Remember they cannot fire those guys. So whatever he was told they can do whatever they like.

Sure, the league can make any policy it wants to. Doesn't mean it makes good sense, though.

JRutledge Thu Aug 23, 2012 04:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CT1 (Post 852109)
Sure, the league can make any policy it wants to. Doesn't mean it makes good sense, though.

It is a business, they can do whatever they want in their business. If leagues can tell players what they can or cannot wear out of uniform, then baseball players can be told what they can wear while in uniform. This is not nearly as restrictive as other pro sports. They can get over it.

Peace

CT1 Thu Aug 23, 2012 08:39pm

Wonder if the MLBPA will include friendship bracelets in their next contract negotiation.