The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Aug 12, 2012, 04:34pm
Official Forum Member

Can ejected pitcher win?

If the home team pitcher is ejected after completing the top of the 9th inning, and the home team wins in the bottom of the 9th, is the ejected pitcher declared the winner? Or must another pitcher be listed to replace him?
Old Sun Aug 12, 2012, 07:35pm
Official & ***** Member

That's an interesting question. My gut reaction is that in leagues that use a DH, they don't have to replace him until they go back on defense. In non-DH leagues, I don't think they have to decide on a replacement until his batting spot comes up OR they go back on defense.

I'm reasonably sure he gets credit for the "W" if they win before either of those events happen, since he's the pitcher of record when the winning run scores.
Old Sun Aug 12, 2012, 10:07pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT1 View Post
That's an interesting question. My gut reaction is that in leagues that use a DH, they don't have to replace him until they go back on defense. In non-DH leagues, I don't think they have to decide on a replacement until his batting spot comes up OR they go back on defense.

I'm reasonably sure he gets credit for the "W" if they win before either of those events happen, since he's the pitcher of record when the winning run scores.
I've always been under the impression that an ejected player must subbed for at the time the ejection was made. You don't get to wait, and do a double switch at the end of an inning.
Old Sun Aug 12, 2012, 10:12pm
Official Forum Member

If a pinch hitter bats for the ejected pitcher (Non-DH league), do they have to name a new pitcher at that time? Or can they wait until the possible 10th inning?
Old Sun Aug 12, 2012, 10:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsaucer View Post
If a pinch hitter bats for the ejected pitcher (Non-DH league), do they have to name a new pitcher at that time? Or can they wait until the possible 10th inning?
Pinch hitting for a pitcher doesn't make you a pitcher. Just look at an NL box score in the pitching section to see if the pinch hitters are listed.
Old Sun Aug 12, 2012, 11:14pm
Official Forum Member

As long as the pitcher has satisfied the requirements for recording a win, he is eligible for the win even if he is ejected.

You do not need to name a replacement for the ejected player until they have to take the field on defense or their time at bat comes up.

OBR
Old Mon Aug 13, 2012, 07:44am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
Pinch hitting for a pitcher doesn't make you a pitcher. Just look at an NL box score in the pitching section to see if the pinch hitters are listed.
It may not make the pinch-hitter the pitcher in the box score yet. But it does fulfill the requirement that the pinch-hitter has substituted for the pitcher, and the manager will have to inform the UIC who the new pitcher is when that player takes the mound.

If the manager decides to pitch that pinch-hitter, there is no need for another substitution announcement, because the substitution took place when the pinch-hitter batted.

So, to answer bsaucer's question:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsaucer View Post
If a pinch hitter bats for the ejected pitcher (Non-DH league), do they have to name a new pitcher at that time?
No, they don't. Pitcher's get announced when they take the mound.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Mon Aug 13, 2012, 08:34am
Official Forum Member

Not only can he still get the win ... he can still get the Complete Game.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Aug 13, 2012, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
It may not make the pinch-hitter the pitcher in the box score yet. But it does fulfill the requirement that the pinch-hitter has substituted for the pitcher, and the manager will have to inform the UIC who the new pitcher is when that player takes the mound.

If the manager decides to pitch that pinch-hitter, there is no need for another substitution announcement, because the substitution took place when the pinch-hitter batted.

So, to answer bsaucer's question:

No, they don't. Pitcher's get announced when they take the mound.
So bottom line the ejected pitcher is still the pitcher of record (I tried to imply that but it didn't work) so he can get the W.