The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 07, 2012, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
Pointing is a faux pas when a runner scores with no play at the plate, because when the umpire fails to point, it screams, "He never touched it!"

But you're describing a different situation in which there is a play, and the umpire sees that the runner scored. The by-the-book mechanic would simply be a Safe signal; it sounds like this PU just used the point instead, which is a little unorthodox.

Remember, on a banger play at the plate where the runner touches home, and the catcher either tags him late or misses the tag completely, the umpire signals Safe. If the runner misses home and the catcher misses the tag, the umpire gives no signal. There is no "tipping" here, so I don't see where a "point" or "no point" under this particular circumstance is any different.
There was no play. The throw barely touched the catcher's glove and the runner touched almost all of the plate. Folks across the street could see he touched it.

I agree, I think this point on this type of play for this umpire(if it is his typical move) does indeed set up a scenario when the next guy misses the plate with no point.
Old Tue Aug 07, 2012, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
Not always true, and in fact this is possibly the answer here. You're right that in MLB, the obstruction rule at home plate is completely different than what we're used to. However, if the ball gets away as in this case, you CAN have obstruction on the catcher.
I guess you're right. However, I have never seen or heard of that call happening in MLB
Old Wed Aug 08, 2012, 08:47pm
Official Forum Member

Observed a fantastic play/call at home by the plate umpire on Monday evening during the 1st game of a Triple A DH between Syracuse Chiefs and Buffalo Bisons.

Throw coming to F2, runner coming in goes for the back side of the plate, F2's swipe tag misses, R3 misses the plate on the slide - PU from 3XL makes NO CALL. R3 gets partially up on his feet and dives for the plate, F2 (who had fallen off balance, too) does the same and dives toward the runner; PU repositioned himself now toward the 1st base line, then points to the plate as R3 touches home before F2 touches him, and concludes with an emphatic SAFE signal.

Beautiful play I thought. Great positioning, great mechanic, right call...
Old Wed Aug 08, 2012, 11:19pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookie View Post
Observed a fantastic play/call at home by the plate umpire on Monday evening during the 1st game of a Triple A DH between Syracuse Chiefs and Buffalo Bisons.

Throw coming to F2, runner coming in goes for the back side of the plate, F2's swipe tag misses, R3 misses the plate on the slide - PU from 3XL makes NO CALL. R3 gets partially up on his feet and dives for the plate, F2 (who had fallen off balance, too) does the same and dives toward the runner; PU repositioned himself now toward the 1st base line, then points to the plate as R3 touches home before F2 touches him, and concludes with an emphatic SAFE signal.

I can see the point on an out call, but not on a safe call.
Old Thu Aug 09, 2012, 08:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookie View Post

Sounds like good positioning and movement... but I completely don't understand the pointing here either. Is he saying, "There's the plate everyone!"? A sell safe or sell out is all that's necessary. Pointing usually means something else, like a ball on the ground.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Aug 09, 2012, 08:51am
Official Forum Member

+1
Old Thu Aug 09, 2012, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

I like to point, just for a reference, before I make a call of safe or out on some plays. Point at the contact for a tag play, for instance. Or a stretched foot on the base. Type b OBS gets a point. There are good points, if used in the proper places. It's a great way to sell a call.

Point with the left hand, then go to your call, is what I've been taught.
Old Thu Aug 09, 2012, 11:08am
Official & ***** Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
A sell safe or sell out is all that's necessary. Pointing usually means something else, like a ball on the ground.
"Point" well taken!

On this play, I wouldn't downgrade an umpire who gave a "safe" signal, pointed to the plate, then gave a second "safe" signal to sell his call.
Old Thu Aug 09, 2012, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
Pointing is a faux pas when a runner scores with no play at the plate, because when the umpire fails to point, it screams, "He never touched it!"

But you're describing a different situation in which there is a play, and the umpire sees that the runner scored. The by-the-book mechanic would simply be a Safe signal; it sounds like this PU just used the point instead, which is a little unorthodox.

Remember, on a banger play at the plate where the runner touches home, and the catcher either tags him late or misses the tag completely, the umpire signals Safe. If the runner misses home and the catcher misses the tag, the umpire gives no signal. There is no "tipping" here, so I don't see where a "point" or "no point" under this particular circumstance is any different.
Pointing, in this instance, I think, indicates the umpire had a "touch" of HP. That tells the catcher that he does not need to try and tag the runner because the runner "touched" HP.

And as far as "tipping" a play goes, when you make NO call, aren't you tipping the defense? The no call mechanic is the correct mechanic and does what it is supposed to do, namely, tell the offense and defense there has been no tag and no touch of the base.