The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Aug 08, 2012, 07:20am
Stirrer of the Pot

He Really Saw This?!

Even with slo-mo, it's too hard to tell.

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=23688533

I'm guessing U3 changed U1's call here. But, man, that's a tough sell.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Wed Aug 08, 2012, 07:46am
Official Forum Member

Its hard to tell even with the replay whether it bounced off the ground or his glove webbing, I agree but, you are paid to make a decsion. Your either going to throw out the DHC or the OHC but, someone is not going to agree with your decision.

That is truly the human part of the game that will never change.
Old Wed Aug 08, 2012, 08:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jicecone View Post
Its hard to tell even with the replay whether it bounced off the ground or his glove webbing, I agree but, you are paid to make a decsion. Your either going to throw out the DHC or the OHC but, someone is not going to agree with your decision.

I don't think anyone had to go here. The covering official makes his best call, and away we go.

The Rockies skipper ejected himself by the manner in which he objected to one official changing another's call, which you have to admit was kinda bogus.
Old Wed Aug 08, 2012, 08:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
I don't think anyone had to go here. The covering official makes his best call, and away we go.

The Rockies skipper ejected himself by the manner in which he objected to one official changing another's call, which you have to admit was kinda bogus.
I confess that even with my "Don't yell at the umpire" mentality, if I were coaching a game and this happened, I'd end up ejecting myself as well. The overrule was not only wrong, it was in contravention to the rules.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Aug 08, 2012, 08:43am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jicecone View Post

I am leaning towards it being a trap, but I cannot say definitively. Tough call in real time either way.

Peace
Old Wed Aug 08, 2012, 09:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
I confess that even with my "Don't yell at the umpire" mentality, if I were coaching a game and this happened, I'd end up ejecting myself as well. The overrule was not only wrong, it was in contravention to the rules.
I couldn't quite make out what happened in the umpire powwow. U3 might have "given more info" to U1 and let him change his call, and then he might have taken the heat for the changed call because he was senior. Nothing against the rules in any of that.

I agree that it didn't really LOOK like that happened.
Old Wed Aug 08, 2012, 09:49am
Official Forum Member

First, I love Vin Scully. Every game he broadcasts is a treat, and we should enjoy his voice, just like we did Chick Hearn with the Lakers. It's HoF stuff on a daily basis.

Man, even with HD slow mo, you can't really tell if it hits the edge of the web, and bounce up, or it's the ground. The old rule of thumb is if it bounces up, it must have hit the ground first. That's probably what they went with.

I've got no problem with the call, the meeting, the reversal or the EJ. That's all by the book, with everyone doing their job properly. Tracy had to get himself run in that situation. That's baseball.

I still love Vin reading lips, and translating, though.

I didn't see anyone overruling a call out there. Just a request to get help, a conference, and then a decision. SOP, fellas.
Old Wed Aug 08, 2012, 10:23am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylejt View Post
I didn't see anyone overruling a call out there. Just a request to get help, a conference, and then a decision. SOP, fellas.
"SOP", as you call it, would have U1 asking for help, and then making the final call after he receives that help. That's clearly stipulated in 9.02(c).

Now, that may have happened in the huddle, but it was clear to me that U1 never gave a "Safe" signal before the crew chief called over the Rockies manager. I suppose he felt that was his job to do, but it goes counter to "SOP".
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Wed Aug 08, 2012, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

I see your point, Manny. To me, I looked liked they skipped U1 stepping back and calling "No catch", and fastforwarded to the Crew Chief explaining what happened. I'm sure they fully knew the end result was going to be an EJ, so why not get right to it?

"Blinking fertilizer". Classic.
Old Wed Aug 08, 2012, 11:20am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylejt View Post
I see your point, Manny. To me, I looked liked they skipped U1 stepping back and calling "No catch", and fastforwarded to the Crew Chief explaining what happened.
Kyle, that's possible. But I'm sure Tracy would have jumped out of the dugout the moment U1 gave a "No Catch", and not wait for U3 to call him.

But, hey, these guys are at the pinnacle of their craft. They can do whatever they blinking want!
Old Wed Aug 08, 2012, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
Kyle, that's possible. But I'm sure Tracy would have jumped out of the dugout the moment U1 gave a "No Catch", and not wait for U3 to call him.

But, hey, these guys . They can do whatever they blinking want!
I think they did what they had to and given their experience and their best observation of what happened, (they didn't get the chance to watch 5 tmes like I did and I still can't tell), the correct call was made for that situation.

I don't believe for one minute that they can do whatever they want but, they "are at the pinnacle of their craft" and thats something everyone of us wish we could be at also. Unfortunately though, as many wish, perfection will never happen.
Old Wed Aug 08, 2012, 12:56pm
Official & ***** Member

I just can't believe that U3 was so certain it bounced that he was able to convince U1 to overturn the call.

Love Vin Scully. It's a crying shame I can't get the Dodger broadcasts where I live without going through MLB TV.
Old Wed Aug 08, 2012, 10:32pm
Official Forum Member

First time I saw it, I thought no catch.

Slo mo just confirmed it.

Rita
Old Thu Aug 09, 2012, 12:38am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Not a catch.

Look at 5:10 - 5:15 in this video: Baseball Video Highlights & Clips | COL@LAD: Tracy gets ejected after animated argument - Video | MLB.com: Multimedia
Old Thu Aug 09, 2012, 01:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
yep this angle shows it clearly hitting the grass. Not pretty but they got it right!

Thanks
David