The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jul 04, 2012, 10:19pm
Official Forum Member

Question on Balks

I was watching the Texas v C. Sox games and the T pitcher has this odd sway to him and he is constantly lifting his foot during this. I kept thinking "Why is this not a Balk?" I feel that at any level i do i would be calling that every time. Can someone clear this up?
Old Wed Jul 04, 2012, 10:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teccan9nja View Post
I was watching the Texas v C. Sox games and the T pitcher has this odd sway to him and he is constantly lifting his foot during this. I kept thinking "Why is this not a Balk?" I feel that at any level i do i would be calling that every time. Can someone clear this up?
Anytime you see something strange from a pitcher, the question should be the opposite: "Why would this be a balk?"

If you can't answer it, it's legal.
Old Wed Jul 04, 2012, 11:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Anytime you see something strange from a pitcher, the question should be the opposite: "Why would this be a balk?"

If you can't answer it, it's legal.
All of it looks like a balk to me. From lifting his foot and putting it back down, to his shoulder motion. It looks like a distraction to me and like it would be to the batter. Do you know the pitcher I'm talking about?
Old Thu Jul 05, 2012, 03:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
All of it looks like a balk to me.
Let's rephrase--"Is there a rule being broken?"

Quote:
From lifting his foot and putting it back down, to his shoulder motion. It looks like a distraction to me and like it would be to the batter.
Not a part of the rule.

Quote:
Do you know the pitcher I'm talking about?
No.
Old Thu Jul 05, 2012, 08:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
All of it looks like a balk to me. From lifting his foot and putting it back down, to his shoulder motion. It looks like a distraction to me and like it would be to the batter. Do you know the pitcher I'm talking about?
I don't know what pitcher you're talking about. But many MLB pitchers have goofy stuff they do during the stretch — with their feet, body, head, hands — prior to coming set.

The balk rules say nothing about what F1 may or may not do during the stretch (the motion between taking the sign and coming set), other than allowing virtually anything. He must (1) come set, (2) just once, and (3) pitch without interruption. As long as he does that any motion is permitted.

Once he comes set, he must pitch, step and throw to a base, or disengage. But presumably that's not what you're talking about. The goofy stuff during the stretch is designed to disconcert the batter and runner, keep them off balance, and disturb their sense of the pitcher's rhythm. But distraction per se is not illegal.
Old Thu Jul 05, 2012, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

There is a rule regarding the stretch:

"from this position he shall go to his set position as defined in Rule 8.01(b) without interruption and in one continuous motion."

But wide latitude is given in MLB to that requirement.
Old Thu Jul 05, 2012, 01:47pm
In Time Out

Quote:
I'm sure you're talking about Mike Adams. He comes to a stop that is weird, and unusual for the most part compared to the majority of pitchers you see.

No it is not a balk.
Old Thu Jul 05, 2012, 07:39pm
Veteran College Umpire

You get a look at Adams' movements about halfway through -

Texas Rangers Pitcher - YouTube

JJ
Old Thu Jul 05, 2012, 07:46pm
Official Forum Member

I have noticed that ML umpires allow strange looking stuff, if, the pitcher does it every time. I would put this in that category.
Old Thu Jul 05, 2012, 07:48pm
Official Forum Member

Um, er.

I can tell the cameraman is drunk...can't tell much else.
Old Sat Jul 07, 2012, 09:58am
Archaic Power Monger

Nothing illegal there.
Old Mon Jul 09, 2012, 03:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG View Post
I have noticed that ML umpires allow strange looking stuff, if, the pitcher does it every time. I would put this in that category.
And they (umpires) do so on purpose. Joe Brinkman, at his school, specifically talked about Luis Tiant's (Red Sox pitcher in the 1970's) motion when he came set. Brinkman flat-out said that MLB did not want a balk called as long as the pitcher used the same "unusual" mechanics each time he came set.
Old Mon Jul 09, 2012, 03:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
All of it looks like a balk to me. It looks like a distraction to me and like it would be to the batter.
Neither of these statements are in the rulebook. There a things a pitcher CAN'T do, and things a pitcher MUST do. If you are going to call a balk, you must be able to say to yourself... "The pitcher must do XXX, and he didn't" or "The pitcher is not allowed to do YYY, and he did."

"Looks like a balk" is not a balk.

"Looks like a distraction to me" is not a balk.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Jul 09, 2012, 04:52pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawump View Post
And they (umpires) do so on purpose. Joe Brinkman, at his school, specifically talked about Luis Tiant's (Red Sox pitcher in the 1970's) motion when he came set. Brinkman flat-out said that MLB did not want a balk called as long as the pitcher used the same "unusual" mechanics each time he came set.
Think Mike Mussino also. It would have been hard to deliver a pitch from down around his ankles with his motion. If you remember he actually came to a stop twice per the rule book.