The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 17, 2003, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

I am a first year ump and when working the bases I am having a hard time sometimes when catching a pitcher commit a balk. Can you guys tell me some things you watch for and focus on when looking at the pitcher.
Old Thu Apr 17, 2003, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

Arrow One of many

The requisite pause for the set position.

If you time your positioning as the plate umpire so that as the pitcher moves from his stretch to his pause in the set position, you are settling into your crouched position in the slot, you will readily see the pitcher's completion of his pause (with a portion of his mitt below his chin) or the lack thereof - BALK!
Old Thu Apr 17, 2003, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

Cool Called my first one last night

I am fairly new, too, and am moving up to higher levels of play. Just started doing 13-17 year-olds this year. I found it best for me to watch the pitcher during his warm-ups and note his usual motion. Any variation from this draws my immediate attention to watch for a balk. The other, more obvious balks are much easier to call. The one I had last night was pretty easy; it was an obvious shoulder-fake to third base by a right-hander. His response was "What? I didn't move my foot!" I know I'll miss some, but I am enjoying learning.
Old Mon Apr 21, 2003, 05:48am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
If you can get a hold of it, get Jim Evans' training tape on balks. It covers pretty much everything you could see and then has a 25 question "test" in which you call ball or legal. He uses OBR rules but touches on FED and NCAA a bit with it.
A pitcher can balk by doing something with his upper body as much as his lower body. Keep you center of focus on his waist. I have found that to be the best method so far. The only thing I am still working on is making sure of "distance and direction" ie. a right handed pitcher getting his free foot spun around far enough to warrent actually going to first.

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.