The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jul 08, 2012, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

the ONLY difference between an infield fly and a regular fly ball is that the batter is out
Old Sun Jul 08, 2012, 10:33am
Stop staring at me swan.

And a key point that some umpires forget to understand is that once the batter is declared out on an infield fly, all plays on the bases are tag plays. Once the batter is out, all force outs are removed.
Old Sun Jul 08, 2012, 11:20am
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRD View Post
the ONLY difference between an infield fly and a regular fly ball is that the batter is out
You forgot to mention there should at least be runners at 1B & 2B, and less than two outs.

Runners advance at their own risk.
Old Sun Jul 08, 2012, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRD View Post
Not quite true. 7.08f
Old Sun Jul 08, 2012, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

I was umpiring a youth game recently (U11) and the coach for the defensive team was not only an umpire, but a board member and the assignor for his association. (Later was told over 30 years experience)

0 outs with R1 and R2. Fly ball hit between F5 and F6 and both start to merge to it. F6 is camped under it as my partner and I are signalling infield fly. At the last second F5 reaches over to catch the ball as is F6. Ball ends up dropping to the ground.

3rd base coach rightfully starts yelling to his players to stay put that it was an infield fly. R2 listens, but R1 does not and we end up having both standing on 2nd base. F5 picks up the baseball, tags third, then throws to F4 at second. F4 tags R2 who is on the base (so we have a safe call) and R1 starts running back to 1st. F4 then starts to chase R1 back to 1st and we have a run down. R1 is eventually called out heading into 1st for being out of the basepath.

3rd base coach calls timeout and I think he is going to argue runner out of the basepath but he just wants an explanation as the defense is yelling they just turned a triple play. I explain it to him, he says ok, then I have the defense come out. This is when our fellow umpire friend royally screws the pooch. He wants a triple play called as according to him the first out is the infield fly, the second out was the force at 3rd, then the 3rd out was the out of the basepath at 1st. Tried to explain it to him, but he was adamant that he was right. Then he becomes personal and can not figure out why he was ejected haha. Just goes to show you that some doing our profession do not know all they think they do.
Old Sun Jul 08, 2012, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to rcaverly
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsonj72 View Post
…the communication between the umpires was HORIBLE …the infield fly was called
I don’t agree that the issue you make is “HORIBLE” umpire communications. A “No catch!” by the appropriate umpire would have been nice, but it is not required. The problem is that U2 called out an unforced runner without a tag.

Quote:
Said runner gets up…thinking...
There may be no worse nightmare for a base coach.

Quote:
Because the umpires failed to communicate properly said team lost A CHANCE to tie the game with the next batter
More correctly, because said runner no longer was in contact with his acquired base and was tagged with a live ball, “…said team lost A CHANCE to tie the game with the next batter.”

Quote:
…we are being penalized because YOU(The umpires) screwed up.
We, too, are often wronged because YOU (the announcers) screw up.

Quote:
I was broadcasting this game and took me until the drive home to figure out the very very basics of what happened.
I’ll hazard a guess that the umpires had it figured out sooner than that.

Last edited by rcaverly; Sun Jul 08, 2012 at 02:34pm. Reason: Fix quote.
Old Sun Jul 08, 2012, 03:02pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
It wasn't the terminology he got wrong. It was the requirement. Significant difference.

YOU may know, or think you know, what he meant, but the lurkers will just see the wrong requirement. Not good.

You've been turing into a real something-or-other lately - feeling OK?
Yeah, I've been defending you on the boards for your vast knowledge of the rules, giving you many compliments, etc. I'm really turning into a something or other. Oh, I'm feeling pretty good considering I just had heart surgery last month.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sun Jul 08, 2012, 04:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankmjg24 View Post
He wants a triple play called as according to him the first out is the infield fly, the second out was the force at 3rd, then the 3rd out was the out of the basepath at 1st. Tried to explain it to him, but he was adamant that he was right.
"Coach, how can R2 be forced if the BR is out on the IFF?"

Sounds like 1 year's experience 30 times to me.
Old Sun Jul 08, 2012, 04:36pm
Official Forum Member

you are correct. forgot about that
Old Sun Jul 08, 2012, 06:33pm
Veteran College Umpire

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
Yeah, I've been defending you on the boards for your vast knowledge of the rules, giving you many compliments, etc. I'm really turning into a something or other. Oh, I'm feeling pretty good considering I just had heart surgery last month.
Wasn't a transplant from a coach, was it?

JJ
Old Sun Jul 08, 2012, 10:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcaverly View Post
I don’t agree that the issue you make is “HORIBLE” umpire communications. A “No catch!” by the appropriate umpire would have been nice, but it is not required. The problem is that U2 called out an unforced runner without a tag.

There may be no worse nightmare for a base coach.

More correctly, because said runner no longer was in contact with his acquired base and was tagged with a live ball, “…said team lost A CHANCE to tie the game with the next batter.”

We, too, are often wronged because YOU (the announcers) screw up.

I’ll hazard a guess that the umpires had it figured out sooner than that.
The arguement was by the coach. I pulled my OBR book(always carried one) and tried to figure out what in the blazes was going on.
Old Mon Jul 09, 2012, 01:35am

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ View Post
Wasn't a transplant from a coach, was it?

JJ
HA! No, my body would have rejected it!

It was merely an aortic valve replacement. Now I have to get a pacemaker this week. The fun never ends. Once I recover from this, I should be back on the field by the September adult ball season.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Mon Jul 09, 2012, 01:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
But if I correct someone's terminology, you tell me that I knew what they meant and to shut up. Can't have it both ways.
It wasn't the terminology he got wrong. It was the requirement. Significant difference.

YOU may know, or think you know, what he meant, but the lurkers will just see the wrong requirement. Not good.
Rich, it seems to me that you misread nopachunts' post:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nopachunts View Post
Just like any other fly ball that may or not be caught. If fly ball is caught, the runner(s) can advance at their own risk after the ball is touched and the runner(s) has tagged the base at TOP. If the fly ball is not caught, the runner(s) may advance at any time at their own risk.
No No! The tag-up must be at (or after) the time the ball is touched by the fuielder.
The phrase you highlighted needs to be read together with the part before it, especially, "the runner(s) can advance at their own risk after the ball is touched." No, it wasn't absolutely clear, but I'm pretty sure CT1 had it right:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT1 View Post
I'm sure he meant "tagged the base occupied at TOP."
Old Mon Jul 09, 2012, 11:22pm
Official Forum Member

To RI and CT1,
I did mean the base occupied at TOP and the base tagged after the IFF is touched. My bad for not making myself more clear.