The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jun 23, 2012, 10:47pm
Official Forum Member

Obr

Haven't done much OBR since Legion ball a few years ago. Filled in recently on an adult game using OBR with only malicious contact as a revision.

Sit 1. R1, 0 outs. B2 squares to bunt, runner goes, pitcher doesn't come set, I balk him (pitch before I told the catcher to slow him down). Pitch comes in, batter attempts and misses.

R1 gets 2nd, with no strike on the batter? If the pitch was a ball, does it go toward the count? Or is that on ball four?

Yeh it's been a while!

Also, had B3 with 2 outs. B4 pops up in front of HP. Pitcher and catcher converge with the catcher standing on the 3rd base line. R3 comes in and bumps F2 as the catch is made by the pitcher. What would you have if the ball wasn't caught?
Old Sun Jun 24, 2012, 01:28am
Official Forum Member

OBR Balk?

OBR Balk, ball is live. If everyone advances at least one base, ignore the balk. That was not the case in the OP, I believe you did the right thing with NO pitch, runner(s) advance one base.

HTBT, and assuming concern for player safety,
A) Pop up to F1, R3 collides with F2 in front of plate over fair territory, warn runner who must slide or avoid contact with F2.
B) Pop up to F1, R3 collides with F2 in front of plate over foul territory, warn F2 not to obstruct the runner by blocking the basepath without the baseball.
Old Sun Jun 24, 2012, 08:46am
Official & ***** Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAump View Post
HTBT, and assuming concern for player safety,
A) Pop up to F1, R3 collides with F2 in front of plate over fair territory, warn runner who must slide or avoid contact with F2.
B) Pop up to F1, R3 collides with F2 in front of plate over foul territory, warn F2 not to obstruct the runner by blocking the basepath without the baseball.
You sure? We only protect one fielder, and if F1 is the one you protect, then F2 can't (isn't allowed to) obstruct, regardless of whether he's in fair or foul territory.

Last edited by CT1; Mon Jun 25, 2012 at 07:05am. Reason: clarification
Old Sun Jun 24, 2012, 09:20am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT1 View Post
You sure? We only protect one fielder, and if F1 is the one you protect, then F2 can't obstruct, regardless of whether he's in fair or foul territory.
Huh? We protect F1 -- he can't obstruct. If there's contact, it's interference.

But F2, because he is not the protected fielder, *is* obstructing R3.

If you enforce the balk, the pitch doesn't count.
Old Sun Jun 24, 2012, 10:19am
Stop staring at me swan.

We protect fielders on Interference, not on obstruction. Any defensive player can obstruct. I trust that's what you meant and simply confused the terms.
Old Sun Jun 24, 2012, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GROUPthink View Post
Huh? We protect F1 -- he can't obstruct. If there's contact, it's interference.
I think you're agreeing with CT. When he says "F2 can't obstruct," I believe he means "F2 is not the protected fielder, and is thus prohibited from obstructing the runner."

When you say "F1 can't obstruct," I believe you're saying "F1 is the protected fielder, and is thus not liable to be called for obstructing the runner."

Another case of violent agreement. You will both correct me if I'm misreading you, I'm sure.
Old Sun Jun 24, 2012, 10:51am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
I think you're agreeing with CT. When he says "F2 can't obstruct," I believe he means "F2 is not the protected fielder, and is thus prohibited from obstructing the runner."

When you say "F1 can't obstruct," I believe you're saying "F1 is the protected fielder, and is thus not liable to be called for obstructing the runner."

Another case of violent agreement. You will both correct me if I'm misreading you, I'm sure.
Well, it's early in the day.