The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Obr (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/91838-obr.html)

thumpferee Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:47pm

Obr

Haven't done much OBR since Legion ball a few years ago. Filled in recently on an adult game using OBR with only malicious contact as a revision.

Sit 1. R1, 0 outs. B2 squares to bunt, runner goes, pitcher doesn't come set, I balk him (pitch before I told the catcher to slow him down). Pitch comes in, batter attempts and misses.

R1 gets 2nd, with no strike on the batter? If the pitch was a ball, does it go toward the count? Or is that on ball four?

Yeh it's been a while!

Also, had B3 with 2 outs. B4 pops up in front of HP. Pitcher and catcher converge with the catcher standing on the 3rd base line. R3 comes in and bumps F2 as the catch is made by the pitcher. What would you have if the ball wasn't caught?

SAump Sun Jun 24, 2012 01:28am

OBR Balk?

OBR Balk, ball is live. If everyone advances at least one base, ignore the balk. That was not the case in the OP, I believe you did the right thing with NO pitch, runner(s) advance one base.

HTBT, and assuming concern for player safety,
A) Pop up to F1, R3 collides with F2 in front of plate over fair territory, warn runner who must slide or avoid contact with F2.
B) Pop up to F1, R3 collides with F2 in front of plate over foul territory, warn F2 not to obstruct the runner by blocking the basepath without the baseball.

CT1 Sun Jun 24, 2012 08:46am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAump (Post 847145)
HTBT, and assuming concern for player safety,
A) Pop up to F1, R3 collides with F2 in front of plate over fair territory, warn runner who must slide or avoid contact with F2.
B) Pop up to F1, R3 collides with F2 in front of plate over foul territory, warn F2 not to obstruct the runner by blocking the basepath without the baseball.

You sure? We only protect one fielder, and if F1 is the one you protect, then F2 can't (isn't allowed to) obstruct, regardless of whether he's in fair or foul territory.

Rich Sun Jun 24, 2012 09:20am

Quote:

Originally Posted by CT1 (Post 847148)
You sure? We only protect one fielder, and if F1 is the one you protect, then F2 can't obstruct, regardless of whether he's in fair or foul territory.

Huh? We protect F1 -- he can't obstruct. If there's contact, it's interference.

But F2, because he is not the protected fielder, *is* obstructing R3.

If you enforce the balk, the pitch doesn't count.

johnnyg08 Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:19am

We protect fielders on Interference, not on obstruction. Any defensive player can obstruct. I trust that's what you meant and simply confused the terms.

mbyron Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by GROUPthink (Post 847153)
Huh? We protect F1 -- he can't obstruct. If there's contact, it's interference.

I think you're agreeing with CT. When he says "F2 can't obstruct," I believe he means "F2 is not the protected fielder, and is thus prohibited from obstructing the runner."

When you say "F1 can't obstruct," I believe you're saying "F1 is the protected fielder, and is thus not liable to be called for obstructing the runner."

Another case of violent agreement. You will both correct me if I'm misreading you, I'm sure.

Rich Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:51am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 847155)
I think you're agreeing with CT. When he says "F2 can't obstruct," I believe he means "F2 is not the protected fielder, and is thus prohibited from obstructing the runner."

When you say "F1 can't obstruct," I believe you're saying "F1 is the protected fielder, and is thus not liable to be called for obstructing the runner."

Another case of violent agreement. You will both correct me if I'm misreading you, I'm sure.

Well, it's early in the day.