The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jun 22, 2012, 08:24am
Official Forum Member

Charged Defensive Conference

Question about the meaning of "trip." Does the manager have to meet with the pitcher on defense in order for it to be a charged conference? Situation: Manager comes out to discuss a play with his 1st baseman and 2nd baseman -- the pitcher is not involved in the discussion, either during or immediately after the conference. Later in the same inning, the manager comes out to talk to his pitcher. Under OBR, does the pitcher now have to be removed or did the first conference not count since it wasn't a "trip to the mound"?
If it is not a charged conference, how many such conferences may a team on defense have in an inning?
Old Fri Jun 22, 2012, 08:42am
Stop staring at me swan.

Here are some things that might be of interest. This is a good question and you forced me to find rule support for what I thought was correct.

From the BRD:

OBR:When a coach or manager confers with a defensive player,a trip is charged only when – before a pitch or intervening play – the player goes to the mound or the pitcher comes to the player. (8.06 CMT)

Rule 8.06 Comment: If the manager or coach goes to the catcher or infielder and that player then goes to the mound or the pitcher comes to him at his position before there is an intervening play (a pitch or other play) that will be the same as the manager or coach going to the mound.
Any attempt to evade or circumvent this rule by the manager or coach going to the catcher or an infielder and then that player going to the mound to confer with the pitcher shall constitute a trip to the mound.
If the coach goes to the mound and removes a pitcher and then the manager goes to the mound to talk with the new pitcher, that will constitute one trip to that new pitcher that inning.
In a case where a manager has made his first trip to the mound and then returns the second time to the mound in the same inning with the same pitcher in the game and the same batter at bat, after being warned by the umpire that he cannot return to the mound, the manager shall be removed from the game and the pitcher required to pitch to the batter until he is retired or gets on base. After the batter is retired, or becomes a base runner, then this pitcher must be removed from the game. The manager should be notified that his pitcher will be removed from the game after he pitches to one hitter, so he can have a substitute pitcher warmed up.
The substitute pitcher will be allowed eight preparatory pitches or more if in the umpire’s judgment circumstances justify.
Old Fri Jun 22, 2012, 08:59am
Official Forum Member

I believe in OBR the coach can visit with the offense without the pitcher and the conference not be cosidered as a trip to the mound. As long as the offense does not confer with the pitcher afterwards. Most youth leagues allow more visits.
Old Fri Jun 22, 2012, 09:22am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Quote:
Originally Posted by jicecone View Post
I believe in OBR the coach can visit with the offense without the pitcher and the conference not be cosidered as a trip to the mound. As long as the offense does not confer with the pitcher afterwards. Most youth leagues allow more visits.
I think you mixed up your offense and defense.
Old Fri Jun 22, 2012, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

In LL an on-field-time-called conference with any player is a trip.

In LL a pitcher must be removed from the mound on the third visit in an inniing or 4th in a game. Count resets for each pitcher.
Old Fri Jun 22, 2012, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltjp View Post
I think you mixed up your offense and defense.
Yes, words only. Interp remains the same.
Old Fri Jun 22, 2012, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jicecone View Post
Yep I remember a section in the PBUC Manual saying a manager/coach who confers with the catcher who then goes to the mound to speak with the pitcher is charged a trip. I agree with the above statement, just adding this little caveat
Old Sat Jun 23, 2012, 12:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
In LLŪ an on-field-time-called conference with any player is a trip.

In LLŪ a pitcher must be removed from the mound on the third visit in an inniing or 4th in a game. Count resets for each pitcher.
Fixed that for ya.