The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 20, 2012, 09:31pm
Official Forum Member

can i get a ruling

Good evening. Im a 9year football official with a baseball question.

I coach my sons little league team. We are not an official little league...we play by league rules (basic stuff) and then everything else is governed by nfhs rules. Ironically I don't think Ive ever seen a league official or umpire with a rule book.

With a runner on 3rd and two out, my batter hits a ground ball. Its fielded cleanly however the 1st baseman drops the throw. While this is going on, the runner on 3rd crosses the plate. The batter then decides to head to 2nd where he is thrown out as the first baseman recovered and threw to 2nd. The other team said the run doesn't count because of the "continuation" rule. Whatever that is. We maintain that the run counted because the batter was safe at first and the run scored long before the out was then made at 2nd.

The coach of the other team said this happened to them previously so the umps took his side and thus we lost our run

I have no idea what the correct ruling is as Im a football guy. Shame on me for not knowing the book but its 3rd and 4th graders. I didn't want to make a scene either.

Thanks for the help.

Tony

Last edited by MUTTS; Wed Jun 20, 2012 at 10:11pm.
Old Wed Jun 20, 2012, 09:38pm
Official Forum Member

"They" were wrong. There is no such "continuation rule".

The run would not score if the third out was made before the runner touched hime OR the third out was a force (it wasn't ) or the third but was made by the batter BEFORE he touched first (it waasn't).

The run scoires. LL rules, Official Rules, High School rules, NCAA rules, any baseball rules.

And if you aren't official Little League you should not refer to your league as Little League.
Old Wed Jun 20, 2012, 10:13pm
Official Forum Member

How much do you pay to be part of this league (including what you provide the team as a coach)? Are there any alternative leagues? Go along and get along otherwise. This is a goat rope.

Last edited by umpjim; Wed Jun 20, 2012 at 10:34pm.
Old Wed Jun 20, 2012, 10:21pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Run should count in any baseball game where you're keeping score...heck even if you're not keeping score.
Old Wed Jun 20, 2012, 10:30pm
Official Forum Member

thanks guys....my football officiating helps me keep coaching the little ones in perspective

T
Old Thu Jun 21, 2012, 08:34am
Official Forum Member

Tony-

First of all, welcome to the forum! Jump over to the football section and become a regular member! We always enjoy adding new people to the mix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTTS View Post
Ironically I don't think Ive ever seen a league official or umpire with a rule book.
I literally laughed out loud at the above statement. Tony, have you seen a football official with a rulebook during a game? I certainly haven't seen a rule book at either of the three sports I officiate (besides the locker room/car where participants are not).

Once again, welcome to the forum!

-Josh
Old Thu Jun 21, 2012, 08:38am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
Rule book, where can I find one of those? Seriously, I am curious, was the run that was disallowed the tying run in the last half inning of the game? Perhaps the 'continuation' rule was to prevent extra innings? Dinner was getting cold.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Thu Jun 21, 2012, 09:18am
Official & ***** Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
And if you aren't official Little League you should not refer to your league as Little League.
Good grief. He used lower case letters, indicating the generic term.
Old Thu Jun 21, 2012, 09:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT1 View Post
Good grief. He used lower case letters, indicating the generic term.
It's not generic, it's a registered trademark. No different than IBM, Ford, Microsoft, etc. and it's protected by law.

And I thought umpires prided themselves on knowing the rules and applying them properly.
Old Thu Jun 21, 2012, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
It's not generic, it's a registered trademark. No different than IBM, Ford, Microsoft, etc. and it's protected by law.

And I thought umpires prided themselves on knowing the rules and applying them properly.
We do. Just like Little League® coaches pride themselves on being anal retentive.

So, can we expect you to use the proper registered trademark character when ever you refer to Little League®?
Old Thu Jun 21, 2012, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

I umpire YOUTH baseball and Little League and know the difference. There are significant differences in the rules based on what ruleset is being used. When a poster asks question and refers to "little league" instead of youth baseball, the poster should state the correct sanctioning body. It makes a difference on what the proper response should be.

If that is being anal retentive, so be it.
Old Thu Jun 21, 2012, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

What a nice welcome to this forum for Tony (MUTTS).
Old Thu Jun 21, 2012, 11:25am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by nopachunts View Post
I umpire YOUTH baseball and Little League and know the difference. There are significant differences in the rules based on what ruleset is being used. When a poster asks question and refers to "little league" instead of youth baseball, the poster should state the correct sanctioning body. It makes a difference on what the proper response should be.

If that is being anal retentive, so be it.
I'm just visiting and all, but didn't he clarify all that in the OP.
Old Thu Jun 21, 2012, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I'm just visiting and all, but didn't he clarify all that in the OP.
MUTTS said in his OP that his son's team was not in Little League and my reply was not directed at him. The post was directed at what MrUmpire and Rich Ives said in regard to posts referencing "little league" versus Little League®.
Old Thu Jun 21, 2012, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nopachunts View Post
When a poster asks question and refers to "little league" instead of youth baseball, the poster should state the correct sanctioning body.
Um ... he does.

Quote:
We are not an official little league...we play by league rules (basic stuff) and then everything else is governed by nfhs rules.
The suggestion by Rich that he not use the term Little LeaguecirclearoundtheletterR is fine - because he didn't know better, and now he does. Jumping down his throat for it is the reason newbies leave this place.

West Houston Mike