The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 19, 2012, 08:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
I hope you wear 3 ball bags on the bases to carry the brush and your Official Rosin Bag, plus all the returned foul balls that come in. What kind of base umpire are you anyway?
And make sure you go tell the new pitcher how many outs there are and where the runners are, cause new pitchers can't see them.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Jun 19, 2012, 08:51am
Official Forum Member

And don't forget to give the count to the PU after every pitch as you stand directly behind the pitcher in the BC Position.
Old Tue Jun 19, 2012, 08:52am
Official Forum Member

On a side note, do you think Joe West is contractually obligated to wear his plate gear so the Wilson and West Vest logos are clearly visible to the TV cameras?
Old Tue Jun 19, 2012, 03:47pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jicecone View Post
And don't forget to give the count to the PU after every pitch as you stand directly behind the pitcher in the BC Position.
And don't forget to ask the shortstop and second baseman (and the center fielder, too) if your position is OK with them when you're working inside the diamond.

Worked a game this season with an umpire I had never met before. After the plate conference, he headed towards third base. Was so intrigued by his path to short right field, I didn't even bother to look at some of the warmup pitches (I usually look at the middle four pitches -- two from each side). He stopped at third, carefully brushed off the base, went to second and did the same, and then went and did the same to first base. After the top of the first, he went to the pitcher's plate and did the same thing. I was so inspired, I used my plate shoe to clean the plate the entire game.

Last edited by Rich; Tue Jun 19, 2012 at 03:49pm.
Old Tue Jun 19, 2012, 04:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GROUPthink View Post
And don't forget to ask the shortstop and second baseman (and the center fielder, too) if your position is OK with them when you're working inside the diamond.

Worked a game this season with an umpire I had never met before. After the plate conference, he headed towards third base. Was so intrigued by his path to short right field, I didn't even bother to look at some of the warmup pitches (I usually look at the middle four pitches -- two from each side). He stopped at third, carefully brushed off the base, went to second and did the same, and then went and did the same to first base. After the top of the first, he went to the pitcher's plate and did the same thing. I was so inspired, I used my plate shoe to clean the plate the entire game.
At a state tournament final this year I saw umpires carrying indicators and brushes on the bases (And using both waaaay too much), as well as asking the middle infielders if their positioning was okay prior to pitches. Pretty much any Smitty behavior you can imagine, I saw it.
Old Tue Jun 19, 2012, 05:10pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
At a state tournament final this year I saw umpires carrying indicators and brushes on the bases (And using both waaaay too much), as well as asking the middle infielders if their positioning was okay prior to pitches. Pretty much any Smitty behavior you can imagine, I saw it.
There's a better than 1 in 50 chance this is my state you're talking about cause I've seen it there myself. Mind boggling the selection process....
Old Tue Jun 19, 2012, 06:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I saw Lance Barksdale do just that all Sunday afternoon.

Well, not F8.
Old Tue Jun 19, 2012, 08:58pm
Is this a legal title?

The guy with an indicator is the guy who got the count wrong. Therefore, another guy with an indicator would get the count right?

Non sequitor.
Old Tue Jun 19, 2012, 09:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Publius View Post
Non sequitor.
Right Latin, wrong spelling. Given your name, Publius, I expect more from you.
Old Wed Jun 20, 2012, 10:37pm
Is this a legal title?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Right Latin, wrong spelling. Given your name, Publius, I expect more from you.
Typos happen in every language.
Old Thu Jun 21, 2012, 08:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Publius View Post
Typos happen in every language.
Treu!
Old Thu Jun 21, 2012, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

We don't always agree... but I might have reacted the same way.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Jun 21, 2012, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
Plate shoe, heck..."hey catch, can you get that dirt for me?"

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.