The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jun 16, 2012, 01:12am
Official Forum Member

Strange(False)Ending in MInnesota 3A semi-final

A strange(apparent) ending to a semi-final game in the Minnesaota 3A tournament. Video comes from the ABC station in MInneapolis.

VIDEO: Strange Ending In Eden Prairie vs Bemidji Baseball State Semifinal | KSTP TV - Minneapolis and St. Paul

The team that had this happen too did get 2 runs in the top of the 8th and did win the game.

Thoughts on the whole situation?
Old Sat Jun 16, 2012, 03:57am
Official Forum Member

"...During the celebration, Eden Prairie coach Mike Halloran motioned to first base, seeming to indicate a desire for the called strike to be appealed to the first-base umpire.

The umpires conferred and after a lengthy discussion, the call was reversed...

Two thoughts:

(1) Called strikes cannot be appealed. Wasn't that a called Strike?

(2) Wasn't that a "Safe" signal for the uncaught 3rd strike? It it were, then the signal "Out" should have been made immediately upon F2 tagging the BR. Because it wasn't, a sh$$tstorm developed.
Old Sat Jun 16, 2012, 06:26am
Official Forum Member

Old Sat Jun 16, 2012, 06:37am
Official Forum Member

My thoughts:

1. The PU's mechanics, as far as we can see them, are textbook. Points with the slot hand to indicate the swing and signals no catch. The only thing we can't see in the video is the out call.

2. Given the PU's mechanics to that point, I would be surprised if he neglected to signal the out, but it's possible. But the tag was so obvious, perhaps he simply thought it was an obvious out.

3. The conference was completely unnecessary: there was nothing to discuss. No call to reverse, nothing controversial in what actually happened at the plate, and nothing confusing from the PU. Somebody on that crew stuck his nose where it didn't belong.

4. You can't reverse a call of a swinging strike. There's probably an exception that proves the rule, but even Doug Eddings says he didn't rule a swing.

5. As soon as somebody in that conference said something like "Well Joe, you signaled safe, so they must have thought you said it was a base on balls," I'm replying that it was a strike, the game is over, and that's the end of it. During the game, I don't care if (shocker!) a coach fails to understand my mechanics (mechanics are supposed to communicate, so I do care overall whether there's a systematic issue).

Very puzzling. We have some MN guys on here, maybe they'll have some inside poop.
Old Sat Jun 16, 2012, 06:49am
Administrator

Methinks that the BU with the sunglasses was not happy for not being assigned the Plate for this game because I am blind in one and and can't see out of the other eye and I knew that the PU signaled that the Batter swung and that the PU signaled an out (ripping the batter out) when F2 tagged the Batter/Runner out.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sat Jun 16, 2012, 07:49am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Agree with MB. Everything looks pretty cut and dry. Mechanics were solid and there isn't any hesitation. I'd be curious to know how/why the PU even stood around long enough for this to become an issue. Game over, let's go home.
Old Sat Jun 16, 2012, 09:13am
Official Forum Member

The safe signal appeared a bit after tag, although I couldn't say it that was to signal the D3K or not. I have to wonder if the signal was for the barehanded tag and the plate ump thought the ball was in F2's mitt.
Old Sat Jun 16, 2012, 09:41am
Get away from me, Steve.

Whether the batter offered (I don't think he did) is irrelevant if the plate guy says he did. Nightmare scenario, really. Guessing we'll never know what really happened.
Old Sat Jun 16, 2012, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
Let me see if I understand this correctly. PU clearly points, and I am assuming he is verbalizing...'yes he went'...he signals with the safe sign, meaning the ball was dropped. My assumption that closely after that, out of view, he is signalling out.

Then the OC asked PU to get help on the check swing. If he asked the U1, then a mistake was made if U1 offered his opinion absent a request from the PU. If he asked PU to confer, I suppose PU could ask U1 what he saw. PU's original call and mechanics were correct, (clearly this was an offer at the pitch), so to change the call at this point was a gross miss. Poorly done by all involved.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Sat Jun 16, 2012, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

Olden times?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPatrino View Post
Let me see if I understand this correctly. PU clearly points, and I am assuming he is verbalizing...'yes he went'...he signals with the safe sign, meaning the ball was dropped. My assumption that closely after that, out of view, he is signalling out.

Then the OC asked PU to get help on the check swing. If he asked the U1, then a mistake was made if U1 offered his opinion absent a request from the PU. If he asked PU to confer, I suppose PU could ask U1 what he saw. PU's original call and mechanics were correct, (clearly this was an offer at the pitch), so to change the call at this point was a gross miss. Poorly done by all involved.

Normally, I would agree. But those days are long gone. We now live in a get the call right, poorly if it happens, but get the call right.

The play was close, the call was vague, the request to get help was made. At that point, pretty is no longer the criteria, getting the call right was gonna look bad either way. No sympathy for either team.

Overturning the call was the tougher choice, they made it, and then stuck with it. The genie is out of the bottle and there is no turning back. Looks like the teamwork on this crew was strong enough to move on with the game.
Old Sat Jun 16, 2012, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

The first part of the plate umpires mechanics are solid. Point, you went. I agree with a previous poster that he was "ripping" the strike three call (which shouldn't have been done). I think the base coach confused this signal with a safe mechanic and instructed his player to run. Why the plate umpire signaled "safe" after the tag, I have no clue. The only thing I am thinking is that he thought the ball is in the catchers glove and not in his bare hand. I am assuming he thought there was no tag, even though it appeared obvious. You can't "chain" a strike three on a dropped third strike. He's not out until tagged or the ball goes to first base. Error by the plate umpire. Not sure how one of his partners couldn't have determined there wasn't a tag and corrected the error.

Last edited by REFANDUMP; Sat Jun 16, 2012 at 12:33pm.
Old Sat Jun 16, 2012, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAump View Post
[/B]

Normally, I would agree. But those days are long gone. We now live in a get the call right, poorly if it happens, but get the call right.

The play was close, the call was vague, the request to get help was made. At that point, pretty is no longer the criteria, getting the call right was gonna look bad either way. No sympathy for either team.

Overturning the call was the tougher choice, they made it, and then stuck with it. The genie is out of the bottle and there is no turning back. Looks like the teamwork on this crew was strong enough to move on with the game.
But the bottom line issue was after all this discussion, they got the call wrong!

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Sat Jun 16, 2012, 02:32pm
Stop staring at me swan.

I know one of the umpires in this video...when the storm calms a bit, I'll reach out to him and figure out what went down.
Old Sat Jun 16, 2012, 02:50pm
Stop staring at me swan.

From the news article:

You don't often get to storm the field and celebrate twice in a single game, but the Bemidji Lumberjacks did.

A strange turn of events in Bemidji's Class AAA State Baseball Semifinal game against Eden Prairie ultimately ended with the Lumberjacks advancing to their first state title appearance since 1986 with an 8-6 extra-inning win.

After building a 6-0 lead after an inning and a half, Bemidji saw Eden Prairie stage a furious comeback.

The Eagles managed to draw within one run at 6-5, and were down to their final out.

With the game on the line, Bemidji pitcher Mitch Hendricks and Eden Prairie batter Danny Halloran were locked in a tension-filled at-bat.

With the count full, Hendricks' pitch passed the plate low and away from right-handed hitting Halloran. Halloran checked his swing as the ball bounced in the dirt. Bemidji catcher Collin Leif scooped the pitch out of the dirt and tagged Halloran just as the home plate umpire appeared to call Halloran out.

Bemidji players tossed their gloves in the air and stormed the field to celebrate their victory.

...Or so they thought.

During the celebration, Eden Prairie coach Mike Halloran motioned to first base, seeming to indicate a desire for the called strike to be appealed to the first-base umpire.

The umpires conferred and after a lengthy discussion, the call was reversed.

Halloran was awarded first base on a walk, leaving Bemidji players visibly and audibly upset.

With the bases loaded, Brett Guba - the next batter for Eden Prairie - earned a 5-pitch walk. That brought Michael Blauert in from third base, tying the game at 6.

Bemidji avoided what would have been an unthinkable collapse by forcing Halloran at second on the batter later to end the inning, sending the game to extra innings.

In the eighth, Bemidji scored a pair of unearned runs on two Eden Prairie errors to regain the lead at 8-6.

After Miles Nablo singled to open the bottom of the eighth, Hendricks retired three straight Eagles hitters to end the game.

After their false celebration after the seventh inning, Bemidji was able to officially celebrate after the eighth - although it was much more subdued than their initial, spontaneous jubilation an inning earlier.

Bemidji will play in Eastview or Grand Rapids on Monday at 6 p.m. in the Class AAA State Championship game at Target Field.
Old Sat Jun 16, 2012, 06:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08 View Post
I know one of the umpires in this video...when the storm calms a bit, I'll reach out to him and figure out what went down.
I'd hold off a long while. This is a sore subject right now.