The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 13, 2012, 07:30am
Official Forum Member

Canada/US difference

Thought the US guys would find this amusing.

Was talking with a coach of a Canadian Midget team (16-18 year old) that went down to the US for a tournament and I asked how it went. He said that they learned real quick about some of the differences between Canadian and US rules.

After a controversial call, the third base coach(not the manager) walked over to the base umpire and was about say something when he was ejected from the game. The coach asked why he was ejected and the base umpire ignored him, the manager then when out to find out what the problem was and was told that only the manager could speak to the umpires.

At that point they knew they weren't in Canada any more and he said the coaches (and the manager) were too afraid to speak to the umpires again!

NOTE: I can't seem to reply to this thread.....have been trying for the past 24 hours! I don't know the whole story just what one of the assistants told me about the incident. He simply said that they were unfamiliar about the FED rules regarding speaking to umpires but they sure learned quick when other assistant tried to question a call.

Last edited by tibear; Thu Jun 14, 2012 at 11:03am. Reason: technical issue with replying to thread
Old Wed Jun 13, 2012, 08:12am

Every time I read about Canadian Midget baseball I picture this:

Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Wed Jun 13, 2012, 09:33am
Official Forum Member

First of all, I'm Canadian eh! Is this really an American thing or is there more to the story? A base umpire can't speak to an umpire?
Old Wed Jun 13, 2012, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
First of all, I'm Canadian eh! Is this really an American thing or is there more to the story? A base umpire can't speak to an umpire?
FED has a rule prohibiting base coaches from leaving their position to argue a call.

In general, assistant coaches have very little latitude; if a head coach wants an explanation, I'll give it to him. If an asst. coach is not an azz about it, I'll talk to him too.
Old Wed Jun 13, 2012, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

They play OBR-based in Canada so the FED prohibition would be strange to them.
Old Wed Jun 13, 2012, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

Manager - Has the right to discuss plays and problems with the umpires. He also has the right to be heard in a dispute of a call (does not mean he will remain in the game). He is usually given a long leash.

Assistant Coaches - Tells players which way to turn, go, get back. Is allowed to ask the count and the number of outs and are allowed to small talk with umpires. They have no right to dispute a call with the umpires nor do they get any tolerance. They get an extremely short leash.

Players - They play the game. They have no right to dispute a call or decision by the umpires. They get no leash at all.

Scorekeepers, ball boys, announcers and other dugout personal - These people have no rights, no leash and will be removed in the blink of an eye if they object to a call or decision.
Old Wed Jun 13, 2012, 11:15am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
They play OBR-based in Canada so the FED prohibition would be strange to them.
I don't entertain assistant coaches disputing calls at *any* level. The NFHS may have put this in writing, but that's really the only difference.
Old Wed Jun 13, 2012, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

Watch more pro games - you know - the ones that the OBR was written for. Coaches and players "discuss" calls with umpires REGULARLY and as long as they don't cross the line they are alloerd to do so.

The instant tossing of a coach or player is bad game management.
Old Wed Jun 13, 2012, 11:36am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
Watch more pro games - you know - the ones that the OBR was written for. Coaches and players "discuss" calls with umpires REGULARLY and as long as they don't cross the line they are alloerd to do so.

The instant tossing of a coach or player is bad game management.
I don't toss them -- I just don't pay attention to them. It's hard for a first base coach to argue a play at first if he has to talk to my back.

Perhaps if youth assistants *did* get run more quickly they'd learn that only managers should be talking to umpires about calls.
Old Wed Jun 13, 2012, 12:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibear View Post
After a controversial call, the third base coach(not the manager) walked over to the base umpire and was about say something when he was ejected from the game. )
Don't care where you are from, this is just an arrogant Ahole dressed as a umpire and who gives a bad name to the thousands of officials that work hard and still know how to be professional too.
Old Wed Jun 13, 2012, 12:49pm
Get away from me, Steve.

I don't know about that -- let's assume they're working 2-umpire mechanics. The THIRD base coach, *not* the manager, walked out to the base umpire to discuss a play.

Do we let base coaches who are not the manager come out onto the field to discuss plays?

I think there's something missing from the story, myself.
Old Wed Jun 13, 2012, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

There may well be something missing from the original story, but ultimately this isn't about rules differences. . .rather, it's about difference in etiquette.
Old Wed Jun 13, 2012, 01:49pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibear View Post
Thought the US guys would find this amusing.

Was talking with a coach of a Canadian Midget team (16-18 year old) that went down to the US for a tournament and I asked how it went. He said that they learned real quick about some of the differences between Canadian and US rules.

After a controversial call, the third base coach(not the manager) walked over to the base umpire and was about say something when he was ejected from the game. The coach asked why he was ejected and the base umpire ignored him, the manager then when out to find out what the problem was and was told that only the manager could speak to the umpires.

At that point they knew they weren't in Canada any more and he said the coaches (and the manager) were too afraid to speak to the umpires again!

I have umpired Summer baseball tournaments in Florida that included teams from Canada and USSSA Girls' Fastpitch Softball tournaments here in NW Ohio and the only teams that can be depended upon to have classy players and coaches are the Canadian teams.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Jun 13, 2012, 03:10pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
I will have a civil conversation with anyone and answer questions that are asked, within reason. The head coach will get more latitude in discussions about calls or decisions. No one will argue or act like an idiot.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Wed Jun 13, 2012, 03:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GROUPthink View Post
I don't know about that -- let's assume they're working 2-umpire mechanics. The THIRD base coach, *not* the manager, walked out to the base umpire to discuss a play.

Do we let base coaches who are not the manager come out onto the field to discuss plays?

I think there's something missing from the story, myself.
Do I?

As long as it is in a respectful manner, what is wrong with being CIVIL.

The rules don't give us authority to grant permission for "LETTING people out of their boxes". If they choose to do it, and it is not in conformance with the rules, then they pay the penalty.

Sometimes officials assume way too much authority than explictly given and then when things go screwy on them, because they walked on the field with attitude, can't understand what went wrong.

I realize that is not the norm but, it happens.