The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 14, 2012, 08:58am
Official Forum Member

Re-Entry Question

I was the BU for a JV game last Friday and the following re-entry question arose. Bottom of the 4th, home team sends up a pinchhitter (we'll call him "Adams") to bat for F3 (we'll call him "Brown") in the leadoff spot in the batting order. In the top of the 5th, Brown remains in the field to play first base. Adams goes back to the bench, never playing in the field. In the bottom of the 5th, the home team sends Adams up to pinch hit again in the 5th spot in the lineup. Visiting HC freaks out, saying he can't bat twice in the same turn through the lineup. We confer for a few minutes and the PU decides to let Adams bat. (He struck out on 4 pitches, but that's beside the point.)

Adams was batting the second time because a player became unavailable (he had actually left the field for personal reasons, but it could have just as easily been an injury situation) and they had nobody else on the bench.

So, the question is: can Adams bat twice in the same turn through the lineup? If not, what happens in the #5 spot when that hitter is unable to bat and Adams is the only available pinchhitter?

We play under modified OBR rules with re-entry allowed, but I've never actually seen the re-entry rule written down anywhere.
Old Mon May 14, 2012, 09:00am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nafxos View Post
I was the BU for a JV game last Friday and the following re-entry question arose. Bottom of the 4th, home team sends up a pinchhitter (we'll call him "Adams") to bat for F3 (we'll call him "Brown") in the leadoff spot in the batting order. In the top of the 5th, Brown remains in the field to play first base. Adams goes back to the bench, never playing in the field. In the bottom of the 5th, the home team sends Adams up to pinch hit again in the 5th spot in the lineup. Visiting HC freaks out, saying he can't bat twice in the same turn through the lineup. We confer for a few minutes and the PU decides to let Adams bat. (He struck out on 4 pitches, but that's beside the point.)

Adams was batting the second time because a player became unavailable (he had actually left the field for personal reasons, but it could have just as easily been an injury situation) and they had nobody else on the bench.

So, the question is: can Adams bat twice in the same turn through the lineup? If not, what happens in the #5 spot when that hitter is unable to bat and Adams is the only available pinchhitter?

We play under modified OBR rules with re-entry allowed, but I've never actually seen the re-entry rule written down anywhere.
Since you apparently don't play NFHS rules (you must be from Rhode Island or Massachusetts), you'll need someone in one of those states to help with your situation.
Old Mon May 14, 2012, 09:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GROUPthink View Post
Since you apparently don't play NFHS rules (you must be from Rhode Island or Massachusetts), you'll need someone in one of those states to help with your situation.
It's Massachusetts. But I'd also be curious how it would be handled under FED rules.
Old Mon May 14, 2012, 09:11am
Get away from me, Steve.

In NFHS rules, the team would be forced to play with 8 players and an out would be recorded every time the player's spot came up in the order. Adams is not an eligible substitute -- he entered the game and the starter re-entered to play the field, making him no longer eligible in any playing capacity.

(If a player was injured or otherwise must be substituted for *after* reaching base, the most recent batter not on base is allowed to run for that player.)
Old Mon May 14, 2012, 09:20am
Official Forum Member

So Adams is no longer eligible at all? Interestingly, that possibility didn't come up at all in our 5-minute discussion with both coaches. Obviously I need to brush up on the re-entry rules.

That said, we generally let the coaches handle all of the substitution tracking at the level I'm working (subvarsity). I wasn't even aware Adams had already pinch hit and then not taken the field until they tried to bat him again the next inning.
Old Mon May 14, 2012, 09:44am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
So Adams is no longer eligible at all? Interestingly, that possibility didn't come up at all in our 5-minute discussion with both coaches. Obviously I need to brush up on the re-entry rules.
Substitutes do not have re-entry privileges in NFHS baseball, only starters. Your rules may vary, though.
Old Mon May 14, 2012, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GROUPthink View Post
Substitutes do not have re-entry privileges in NFHS baseball, only starters. Your rules may vary, though.
Thanks. I've reached out to my assigner for clarification, but haven't heard back yet.
Old Mon May 14, 2012, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thanks. I've reached out to my assigner for clarification, but haven't heard back yet.
Reach out for a copy of those re-entry rules. If I had to guess, I'd say that the rule set is "OBR + FED re-entry rules," which would explain why you never see anything written down.

If that's the case, refer to GROUPthink's posts on re-entry.
Old Mon May 14, 2012, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

OBR - Adams is done for the day as well.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon May 14, 2012, 10:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

When Adams enters the box the second time he is ejected for illegal entry. In FED, an out is registered every time that position in the batting order comes up. In OBR game is over for lack of 9 unless there is some local modified rule that is similar to FED.