The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat May 12, 2012, 09:51pm
Official Forum Member

Taking signs off the rubber.

Last Night. JV double header (FED rules). Game 2. 6th inning with starting pitcher still in game. Runners on 2nd & 3rd. I was at "C" position. Defensive coach (who had already proven himself to be a rat a couple of times) starts complaining (from the dugout) that the pitcher was taking signs off the rubber (not delaying or quick pitching or anything like that). He says I should call a balk. I said "coach, how do you know when he's taking his signs? Just keep quiet and lets play ball." I know 6-1-1 says "shall take his sign from the catcher with his pivot foot in contact with the pitchers plate" but specifies no penalty.

I'm sure this question has been discussed several times but I have a few questions:
1) Other than saying "don't do that", how should I handle the pitcher?
2) have any of you guys ever seen this infraction (if you could call it that) called?
3) What would you say to the rat/coach in the dugout?
Old Sat May 12, 2012, 10:29pm
Official Forum Member

1. Leave him alone unless he's quick pitching.
2. No, uh, yes by idiots
3. Shut up. (no don't say that)
Old Sat May 12, 2012, 10:41pm
Official Forum Member

1. When I'm on the bases, I usually let my partner handle that. I tend to start paying attention to the pitcher when he toes the rubber. If there is no infraction, there's nothing to call or say.
2. No. I may have told a catcher or two to slow him down.
3. I would have called time and ran over and called him out away from prying ears and told him a a polite way, "coach, I'm not gonna listen to you from 150ft away. If you have a question for us, we have time between innings. If we see an infraction, we'll call it, OK". Then pat him on his back and run away. (maybe not)
Old Sun May 13, 2012, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

First time: "He's OK, coach." I'm not holding a rules clinic, nor arguing about interpretations. I might add a sentence of explanation if he gets off his butt and asks nicely.

Second time: "I said he's OK, coach, now that's enough."

Third time: "Coach you're restricted/ejected."

You found a coach who has a little rules knowledge. And we all know about having a little knowledge.
Old Sun May 13, 2012, 12:51pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmartin View Post
Last Night. JV double header (FED rules). Game 2. 6th inning with starting pitcher still in game. Runners on 2nd & 3rd. I was at "C" position. Defensive coach (who had already proven himself to be a rat a couple of times) starts complaining (from the dugout) that the pitcher was taking signs off the rubber (not delaying or quick pitching or anything like that). He says I should call a balk. I said "coach, how do you know when he's taking his signs? Just keep quiet and lets play ball." I know 6-1-1 says "shall take his sign from the catcher with his pivot foot in contact with the pitchers plate" but specifies no penalty.

I'm sure this question has been discussed several times but I have a few questions:
1) Other than saying "don't do that", how should I handle the pitcher?
2) have any of you guys ever seen this infraction (if you could call it that) called?
3) What would you say to the rat/coach in the dugout?

Read the penalty section in the rule book, and it's calls for a balk to be called.

I don't agree with it because it says all pitching regulations begin when the pitcher toes the rubber at the first of the pitching rule regulations.
Old Sun May 13, 2012, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

FED 6-1-1: "He shall take his sign from the catcher with his pivot foot in contact with the pitcher’s plate."

The only penalty specified for all of article 1 is a balk/ball for an illegal pitch. Since this provision does not mention a pitch, it is not subject to that penalty. Hence, there is no penalty for this "infraction."

The purpose of the rule is to prevent quick pitches. If he's not quick pitching, he's OK. Don't pick boogers.
Old Sun May 13, 2012, 01:38pm
Administrator

I am only addressing NFHS Baseball Rules.

Let us review the fundamentals.

1) When is F1 an Infielder and when is F1 a Pitcher? Answer: F1 is an IF when he is not in contact with the Pitcher's Plate, and he is a Pitcher when he is intentionally in contact with the Pitcher's Plate.

2) When are the Pitching Rules in Effect? Answer: When F1 is intentionally in contact with the PPLT.

Therefore, when F1 is an IF (meaning he is not intentionally in contact with the PPLT), he can take signs from any one, any where. When F1 is the P, he shall take or simulate taking his signs from F2 while in contact with the PPLT.

The purpose NFHS R6-S1-A1 is to insure that the P does not quick pitch.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun May 13, 2012, 02:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Tyler View Post
Read the penalty section in the rule book, and it's calls for a balk to be called.

Thanks for playing.
Old Sun May 13, 2012, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I don't agree with it because it says all pitching regulations begin when the pitcher toes the rubber at the first of the pitching rule regulations.
There is no penalty for taking signs off the rubber. I don't know what you are reading, but it is not any of the 3 baseball codes in existence today (OBR, NCAA, FED).
Old Sun May 13, 2012, 11:21pm
Official Forum Member

I really enjoyed this thread...
Old Mon May 14, 2012, 04:55am
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900 View Post
There is no penalty for taking signs off the rubber. I don't know what you are reading, but it is not any of the 3 baseball codes in existence today (OBR, NCAA, FED).
I don't know the exact wording or section of the pitching rules, but the penalty phase, possibly 6-1-3, of the pitching rules says any violation of 6-1-
or 6-1-2, , says failure to do so results in a balk being called, blah, blah, blah.

Like I've said many times I believe it paints with too broad of a brush. I don't look for it, and I certainly have never called it. And I am talking about FED.

Feel free to argue among your selfs.
Old Mon May 14, 2012, 06:56am
Official Forum Member

I think this thread affirms my initial opinion that if the coach was chirping at me about this he is a RAT.
Old Mon May 14, 2012, 07:25am
Administrator

Quote:
I don't know the exact wording or section of the pitching rules, but the penalty phase, possibly 6-1-3, of the pitching rules says any violation of 6-1-
or 6-1-2, , says failure to do so results in a balk being called, blah, blah, blah.

Like I've said many times I believe it paints with too broad of a brush. I don't look for it, and I certainly have never called it. And I am talking about FED.

Feel free to argue among your selfs.

But Steve:

The infraction is: F1, while as the P, does NOT take his sign (or simulate taking his sign) from F2 while intenionally in contact with the Pitcher's Plate.

Read my first post in this thread about the fundementals.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon May 14, 2012, 11:17am
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmartin View Post
I think this thread affirms my initial opinion that if the coach was chirping at me about this he is a RAT.
Read 6-1-3. I think that is the one that addresses the penalty phase for 6-1-1 and 6-1-2.
Old Mon May 14, 2012, 11:22am
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post

The purpose NFHS R6-S1-A1 is to insure that the P does not quick pitch.
That's the umpires job.